Behringer Xenyx 802 power supply issues

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by RENHANGA, Dec 1, 2023.

1. RENHANGA

RENHANGA Newbie

Hi! How are you? I wanted to ask you about a Behringer Xenyx 802 that is having problems with the power supply. The mixer works for a few days, and suddenly the power supply burns out. If I buy another one, the mixer works fine, but eventually it also burns the new power supply. This has already happened to me twice. I opened the mixer to see the circuit board, and I didn't find anything strange; I didn't see any failed components or shorted tracks. What do you think? Is there a way to solve the problem?
    Thanks a lot!

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

I would start by adding a fuse between the power supply and the unit, make it slightly lower than the maximum power draw of the Xenyx.

[​IMG]
    To smoke the power supply it has to draw more current than it is rated for. I would guess a power transistor is shorting and drawing a lot of current, though I've never seen the circuit, but only a few components can draw enough power to do that sort of damage.

you could unplug the unit when not in use, until you figure out whats going on.

https://www.mouser.com/c/circuit-protection/fuse-holders/?type=In-Line

the only other thing that would kill the power supply is if too much current is going into it from the wall outlet, unless you are getting power surges from your power company, this is unlikely. Though typical of a Carrington Event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

The Carrington Event was the most intense geomagnetic storm in recorded history, peaking from 1 to 2 September 1859 during solar cycle 10. It created strong auroral displays that were reported globally[1] and caused sparking and even fires in multiple telegraph stations. The geomagnetic storm was most likely the result of a coronal mass ejection (CME) from the Sun colliding with Earth's magnetosphere.[2]

4. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

that power supply is a brick in the middle of the cord, make sure it's not hanging off a desk or the wires could pull loose inside and short out, also make sure the brick isn't covered by anything like a rug etc, as it has to have air flow over it to dissipate heat, if it overheats it will probably kill it. probably would be good to put it on top of a pie pan, so the pie pan can act like a heat sink and help it keep cool.