Behringer upcoming release of the RD-909 (Roland TR-909 Clone) to sell for $299

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by The Pirate, Jan 29, 2019.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

hehe , yes, I guess they will kill the idea of minimal setup

2. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

That guy on the Andertons demo though..... He was no Jeff Mills, lol.

3. Dildo Baggins

I've always had a thing for a meaty drumbox (!) since my old Drumtraks days. When it comes to drums, it's worth the girth.

4. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

This sounds like dogshit. I've owned a real 909, and this sounds plastic compared to the original unit. You'd be better off buying a copy of Wave Alchemy's 909 samples for cheap and loading them into any MPC style unit you can find for a good priced used. How anyone thinks this sounds good is beyond me. Let the hate mail roll in.

5. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Right, forgot to reply to your other message you wrote. they mentioned it in the unboxing and presentation by Jack & Dominic vid you shared.

i can highly recommend everyone to check out more vids from james/F9 audio. thers no fluff and bollox in the vids he put out.

6. daddyjeff

daddyjeff Member

I am really worried that it doesn't have decimal numbers in the bpm's, on my digital Roland TR09, I can do bpm's like 125.90 or 140, 54, so I don't know if that can be done with the behringer RD9.

:wtf:

So that can be fixed with firmware, I don't know if there is any function on that, I think it is very important to know. :facepalm:

7. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I noticed someone in the comments saying that he was as good as Jeff Mills -- but I'm pretty sure they were being sarcastic.

He wasn't a bad dancer though.

8. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Hey, if I'd spent the thousands that a real 909 costs, I'd be convincing myself there was some magic super-sauce in the circuits as well.

This sounds fine to me, but hey, you hang on to your £250.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. recycle

recycle Guest

Finally a decent demo

10. daddyjeff

daddyjeff Member

I already had a great sound when I was RD 909 making beats in real time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

12. Dildo Baggins

Bit harsh. I've got a Roland TR-8 and soundwise, the RD-8 blows it away, I'm expecting the RD-9 will do too. If I was going to be throwing around words like dogshit and plastic (I wouldn't) i might be throwing them towards the TR-8 before I'd be glancing at the Behringer clones.
    Basically, if Behringer can improve on the recent Roland offerings, get closer to the sound of the OG's,and come in at under £300 I'm happy.

Plus, for people like myself, who play out now and again, I have no problem throwing the Behringer clones in the car and taking them wherever needs be, wouldn't be doing that with the OG's, even if I had them!

13. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Behringer RD-9 - Unboxing, Hands On and Test [German] June 23, 2021

Who would have expected it? The RD-9 from Behringer is finally being delivered and one of the first copies
    landed on my table today. Of course, the part is unpacked and packed straight away. Have fun with this video!

14. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

gosh these behringer hardware clones are damn cheap, nearly temped to buy something. Before i remembered a new computer comes first ...

:D

but is the quality for the money really that good?

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You have to have the RD-9 in your own hand so that you can judge. Behringer used to produce a lot of plastic scrap. Made in China. Supposedly, Behringer has been producing better quality for some time now. Maybe you wait 1 - 3 years until the first users write that the buttons and buttons are released. I can be wrong and maybe it's well made. There will be a few more reviews and tests once they have fully delivered.

16. Dildo Baggins

The Behringer gear I've got seems fine so far (TD-3, Deepmind12D, Neutron, RD-8) The Neutron doesn't feel cheap at all, it's really good vfm. the RD-8 Feels rugged and well put together, nothing feels loose or wobbly. The Deepmind is a steal for what you get, the caps on the faders could easily come off and get lost if you don't look after it, but that's it. As for the TD-3....Well, its a cheap little plastic box that does (almost) exactly what it says on the tin :)

I personally wouldn't be worried about the quality of the RD-9, regardless of reputation, my experience with Behringer gear has been a good one, tbh I've had to reign in the urge to buy most of their monosynth clones!

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. recycle

recycle Guest

I own various Behringer gear: RD8 - TD3 - Odyssey (and soon RD9) - Xenyx mixer - Adat interface ADA8200
    I agree with @Dildo Baggins : the build quality is decent. I just have to say something about the Odyssey: the octave switch is filmsy (everyone complains about that) but still it doesn't give problems, it works

In my opinion the issues with the B-gear are:

• Customer support: It will be difficult for them to respond to your open support ticket on their musictribe website, I have personally experienced. They seem to have too many requests for assistance and are unable to organize themselves. At the moment, the best place to try to solve tech issues is the gearspace forum (also various Behringer beta testers in there)
    • Durability of internal audio components: All B-clones are relatively recent, but how long will they last? For example, I have a Behringer mixer (5yo) and on all channels it starts to have crackle when I turn the volume up/down: will it happen with keyboards too?
    • Continuous driver update: This is not a problem that belongs only to Behringer, but also to all driver-dependent gear. Until when will their product be supported by drivers in the future? What will happen when the manufacturer considers it no longer profitable to update them?
    Given the pricetag, I think we should peacefully consider this gear as disposable

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I've got a Crave, a TD-3 and a Xenyx mixer. The Crave is built like a tank and has to be the best value synth out there. The TD-3 *is* a cheap little plastic box, but it was £90 FFS. That's cheaper than most Eurorack modules! And my Xenyx mixer looks and feels as cheap and nasty as hell -- but I've had it for about 12 years now, using it every single day and it's never given me an ounce of trouble.

It's only lack of space stopping me buying more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

April's fools was like three months ago.

20. Dildo Baggins

Don't ge me wrong - It was a back-handed compliment, a nod to the original. the Crave sounds good from what I've heard, has a great bang to buck ratio too, I can't justify getting one though, the K-2 on the other hand....