Behringer upcoming release of the RD-909 (Roland TR-909 Clone) to sell for $299

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by The Pirate, Jan 29, 2019.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

What “planned obsolescence” are you specifically talking about? Do you have any numbers supporting your claim?

2. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

When did Walmart bring out an 808 clone for a fraction of the price of a real one? Seriously though, if Roland actually delivered what many of us want, this situation wouldn't have arisen, they've had years! Behringer are bringing out what people want - affordable analogue, at a price point where I wouldn't expect the build quality to be great, but have had no issues at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

How much more are you prepared to spend to buy from your local dealer? Andertons are currently asking £140 for a Behringer TD-3. Amazon have got them for £91. Will you spend an extra £50/$70 (on a relatively inexpensive item) to support your local music store?

The reality is, the vast majority of people -- regardless of how they pontificate online -- just won't.

Also: to the acidlab.de guy -- how many x0xbox's do you think are selling at £520 now that people can buy a TB-3 for less than £100? I'll tell you how many. None at all.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Behringer teases a new product, Brains, will be revealed on 15.6

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

wow, say whatever you want but these guys bring excitement and surprises time after time.

its only a matter of time when they will make a daw, hope they design it and them make it open source! and then focus on making their hardware to work perfectly with it, making money that way. I would love behringer to slap the hell out of the greedy uninspiring fucks and their subscription models.

but what could this be? A groove box? like machine or mpc?

6. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

I"m starting to think the largest part of Behringer's budget is hiring employees to maintain fanboy sock puppet accounts. Not necessarily on here but Reddit and GearpussySpace are filled with Uli Bots.

7. Dildo Baggins

I'm one of those that is prepared to do that. I jump on the train and go to Andertons in person (30 mins) I enjoy the trip, have a wander around Guildford, check out Cash Converters (exchange shop) too. I also get to check out the gear that they've got in store, ask about any future releases, and have found them to be knowledgable, helpful, decent people.

When I first started to get into buying gear there was a store called Turnkeys in London, it was where I really got hooked on attempting to make music, I used to dream about owning the Roland JD-800, it looked like something from the future. The nice people at Turnkeys would let my eighteen year old self fiddle about with one (I didn't have a clue back then, lol). I used to go there whenever I was in town, check out gear that way out of my price range, and be inspired, to dream. Of course, when they closed down, I was a bit sad, it was an institution to me. People talk about the artists and club nights that were influential back then, Turnkeys was a major part of that time too.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like to have a decent music store nearby, if your into buying gear, being able to go and check it out, ask questions, is all a part of the process, same with collecting vinyl, sure you can buy stuff online, but the chatting, and hearing the views and opinions of those that work in these shops is invaluble.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

people with at least some disposable income tend to be able to better satisfy even their conscience when purchasing stuff.
    many others are happy even reaching a point where they can spend small amounts. if that is not one of your problems be happy and carry on

Just quit moralizing and putting the burden and guilt over the well known fallouts of a predatory economic model that is f%cking over regular people who most struggle to make ends meet, both at retail and consumer level

9. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

unboxing and presentation by Jack & Dominic at anderton music

10. recycle

recycle Guest

This review is insulting! None of these two retarded guys know what they are talking about

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

it was a poor demo for sure, why that guy was brought in is a mystery, still you catch a tiny bit more than the advertisement short clips, hope to see others with better performances and more details soon

12. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

All of them have planned obsolescence so it's the quality of the components that matters. Behringer clones are p good and very affordable.

13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

that loose talk about planned obsolescence...people use the term however they feel for the day, as in simply "bad cheap components" and sometimes as in what it originally means, a "planned strategy" from the manufacturer.

and without any numbers or a serious research attempt its all just bull.

not that "planned obsolescence" doesn't exist! it does exist. but the first thing to prove is that the product is designed/programmed to fail and is therefor expected and known to be re-bought time and time again! like lightbulbs, very cheap mass production that is bought again and again by the same group of individuals.

hardly the case with these drum machines. .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I'd just started playing around with Rebirth and because I had to go into London from time to time, I'd go book shopping on Tottenham Court Road and found myself wandering into Turnkeys. The Moog Voyager had just come out, and I wanted one so bad. But I'd never owned or played an instrument before, or even contemplated the possibility of doing so, and it cost £1500.

I've regretted not buying that Voyager for the last twenty years -- so much so that I've just bought as Subsequent 37 to compensate -- but I still wish I'd bought the Voyager with its wooden case and blue LED's

I tried to buy my Subsequent from a Bricks and Mortar store here in Liverpool. Nobody had one in stock, or had any interest in getting one in stock. I ended up buying it from Andertons -- but from where I sit, Andertons is really just a more expensive, more specialized version of Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I really loved my first iPad. I quite liked my second. My third is sitting in a drawer, unused. How is it that a ten year old PC can still run the apps that came out when it was produced, but a five year old iPad won't even attempt it?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Dildo Baggins

Nice one! I never got a JD-800 either, did have a JD-990 for a while. I used to use Red Dog Music as they were much near to me, started to build a good relationship, then all of a sudden - gone. I've not had the best experience at PMT, which is not that far from me, so decided to go a bit further afield, I think seeing Red Dog go bust has made me realise that if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

To keep it on topic, once the hype dies down, I'm sure I'll be making the journey to Andertons to buy one of these RD-9's they sound pretty good from what I've heard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

I’ve really holding back waiting for a second batch, just because they are not crucial importance to me right now, so I can wait. But I’ll be getting a couple at least of these replicas

18. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

They refered to this video on the history of the TR909 by James Wiltshire/Freemansons

19. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

He’s studio videos are second to none.

who referred to his video reliefsan?

20. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

They sound fantastic. I ordered mine after watching the Andertons video. I just need to find some more space on my desk to fit it in now. I suppose my old Electribe R Mk II can go into storage?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List