Behringer Pro 16, UB-Xa & UB-X Update 7/1/2024

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by freefeet12, Apr 20, 2022.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

3. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

4. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

"UB-Xa is now $1,199, down from $1,499, but why?

The entire Behringer team has decided to donate their earnings and even more to the charity "Playing for Change" as they share the vision to empower less fortunate people.

We are offering the UB-Xa for a price way below the actual value. If you can, please consider donating the balance or any amount in between to the foundation, and we will double your donation up to an additional $1,000,000.

We believe there's a musician in every human being. Our mission is to empower those who have not and cannot."

Learn more: https://playingforchange.org/support-pfcf/

https://www.andertons.co.uk/behringer-ub-xa

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehrUBXA--behringer-ub-xa-16-voice-bi-timbral-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

https://www.gear4music.be/de/Keyboards-and-Klaviere/Behringer-UB-Xa-Analog-Polyphonic-Synth/63WM

5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

"This UB-Xa Demo was shot end of April 2021, when we already were testing the UB-Xa for two months. This model is Rev. 3; in the meantime I also got the improved Rev. 4, on which I reprogrammed all legendary original factory sounds. Right now there is another improved Revision, which gets in the shops. We Beta Tester always measured, discussed and got each week new Firmware Updates, also based on ideas we gave to the team. So over the last 2 years the UB-Xa improved not only with its hardware but also very much with the software. So in this Demo you get an impression of this synth in a medium stage and not final. Of course it also sounds great, so our progress was around getting the sound as close as much to the original and also get useful features inside of this really incredible synth. In this demo you can hear my programmed sounds for this synth. Other beta testers contributed also a lot of very great sounds, some of them are in another style, more classic and some also very modern. In this demo I demonstrate a lot of softer sounds and some ambient stuff but also some classic brass patches and typical 80 ies lead sounds, many arpeggios and such else. I also take use of the polyphonic aftertouch you can send to a lot of modulation sources like panning, filter, LFO, envelopes etc. This demo I recorded without any effects and no progressing at all. You just listen to a two stereo output signal. Just the pure, dry and raw synth. All sounds are from the UB-Xa expect the drums in the intro track. I am very excited that finally this synth gets to the market. You really had to wait very long, but waiting was worth, absolutely. Thanks for watching and listening, again, Cheers."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  6. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

"We did a lot of measurements, analysed filter sweeps, studied the schematics, tested countless firmware updates, suggested additional features and improvements, designed our first own sounds and finally made music with this great instrument.

This particular unit shown in the video is a pre production unit (prototype) with the latest firmware. The final product could be slightly different."​

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  7. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

"As a member of the beta testing team I reprogrammed all the 104 legendary factory presets on the UB-Xa. I shot this video in May 2022. This UB-Xa is one of the last revisions. There were some improvements. In this video we were not finished with the firmware. Based on our experience with the sound design, we have incorporated a few improvements that will now appear in the final version. Nevertheless, this video shows the UB-Xa in an almost finished state. We have gone into every detail to capture the character of the original as much as possible. The numerous parameters in the 8 mods made this possible. I made this video primarily to check my results. Due to the high demand for comparisons, I have decided to post this video and it is possible that a comparison of the latest version would be slightly different, just as even every OB-Xa is not exactly the same as another OB-Xa."

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

9. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

10. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

12. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Side note: People are starting to receive them finally.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

15. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  17. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Same price? Have you seen what a oberheim cost? It's like a 1/4th of the price .. now if your saying a rev2 then maybe but I have heard a few good demos and the sound is slightly off .. maybe because one is new and the other is 10+ years older I dunno

18. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

19. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Bit of interesting info from a user's experience over at GS:

Q: "How does the Atrophy scheme compare to the vintage knob of Sequential/Oberheim?"

A: "The flexibility and changes to the sound can be much more detailed and greater with the atrophy, even extreme.

I created self-oscillation resonance in a filter that doesn't suppose to reach this self-oscillation level, just by changing the atrophy settings. The atrophy can totally transform the synth sound and behavior. It is like having several different synths in one. It is similar to the option to perform circuit bending with the synth electronic parts but without opening the synth and touching the unit. The results are very satisfactory.

The Sequential vintage mode is not editable, except for the level of vintage knob and it doesn't change the essence of the sound, just parameters of a fixed selected set of parameters. It does its function well, of course, but it is far less simple (I think the writer meant: far more simple) and limited than the atrophy, as there are no detailed parameters to change, and the random changes are the ones programed, they can not be edited.

Both vintage function modes in Sequential/Oberheim and Behringer enhance the sound making it more vintage. But the Atrophy goes far beyond this and can totally transform (if desired) the UB-Xa sound to become a new different synth. It can go to very interesting extremes and it is very detailed."

"You can change everything to your liking and save as your own profile.

This is the settings for all initial profiles."

atrophy.JPG

Q: "Also could you talk a bit about the UI for all this under the hood stuff. Looks like there is a lot, is it easy to access? I know that has been said to cause issues on OB-X8 despite the OLED display."

A: "The UI is very intuitive, IMHO, thanks to the labels of the secondary (shift) functions under the controls and buttons. To exit the selected secondary function yo press again the corresponding buton and the shift button again."

The level of menu diving is minimal in my opinion. Even the mod matrix is very direct and easy to use. The screen is clear but there is no need to read it for most of the secondary (page 2) functions, a typical problem of the OB-X8 menu diving level, in the case of the UB-Xa it is solved elegantly and very effectively.

The UI inherits the OB-Xa and OB-8 procedures, that for some could be a bit updated. But is an enhanced version of these synths, and, in general, very immediate."

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  20. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Just messing around stuff here