Behringer does it again: The New System 100 Eurorack Modular Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by The Pirate, Feb 24, 2020.

1. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Behringer promised to recreate the Roland System 100 modular system, and they’ve done that – with a system they call the System 100. There’s no final pricing or other details yet; everything is in a single YouTube video.

this is the same as a 1979 System 100m. It’s just been scaled down to make sense as Eurorack and (presumably) to keep the price down. https://cdm.link/2020/01/behringer-system-100/

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • List
  3. tun

tun Rock Star

i love behringer. i dont understand why they get so much shit from people. maybe they are just bitter because they pay 10x the price for the same things that behringer customers get on the cheap :rofl:

4. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I dont think it has anything to do with those who pay 10x the price for the originals that Behringer has cloned.. It has more to do with Behringer's past reputation as to reliability/customer support. A lot of the skepticism/bad-mouthing comes from it. In fact, the owners of originals cant even claim that Behringer clones diminish the value of the originals. To the contrary, I have noticed a slight increase in the price of the originals during the last 60 days. Behringer does have a lot to prove when it comes to reliability/customer support. Only time will tell us whether it has improved in those departments or not. As it is right now, it is way too early to reach that conclusion. When that happens or does not happen, the skepticals will either embrace it or continue to bad -mouth it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Just one more tiny step on their way to ruling the audio universe proper. The sun never sets on The Behringer Empire.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. tun

tun Rock Star

i have not had any problems with any of their products in the last ~20 years, and i have owned and used a LOT of their products in that time, although not any of their modular or other hardware synths, so maybe they are different, or maybe i just got lucky.

i meet people almost daily who talk shit about the X32 but they love midas, then they say one of the main reasons they hate the X32 is because of the preamps XD
    most of them have never even tried the X32, they just hear the word behringer and they remember all the stories they heard from other clueless people and they dont want to take the risk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I´ve had a few pieces from Behringer myself since 20 years or so and most have been ok and done the job..... I still own a Powerplay Pro and a Ultragain Pro-8 digital - I dont use them atm but they work perfectly despite their age.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Consider yourself lucky. I also forgot to mention quality. Behringer was a brand that, even 5 years ago, if you were running a commercial facility, you did not want your clients to see.
    Now that you mention x32 and MIdas, the people that you mention do have a valid point. The preamps are not the same in those units. A "Midas designed" preamp is not a Midas preamp. The Midas preamps do sound better, at least when recording. And the feel of the faders is like night and day, with the ones in the Midas being the better ones. Now, i am not hating on the X32. I think it is a good product based on its price. However, facts are facts and as the saying goes, you get what you paid for. Luckily for Behringer loyalists ,and newcomers to the brand, Behringer has now decided to use the better Midas preamps in the WING and hopefully will continue to improve on the quality and reliability of its products.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

@Joe_sleaze If you gonna come in and disagree at least enlighten us with an explanation just like everyone else has done here. Do you disagee with what I said about Behringer? Do you disagree with what i sad about the ongoing price of vintage gear after the Behringer clone? Maybe you have a better answer to what @tun stated. :dunno: Without you explaining it to us, we will never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Marcsal

Marcsal Kapellmeister

Maybe he disagreed with everything you said.:rofl:

11. SmokerNzt

SmokerNzt Rock Star

totally agree in the past they was crap company today they are fu**king beast
    even Jesus said so

Matthew 7:15
    Beware of Berhinger's , which come to you in sheep's
    cloning , but inwardly they are ravening wolves who keep bringing all goodies of the past .
    ====
    btw just unbelievable that they bring it as rack !

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You talking to me? Are you talking to me? Bro I have every new synth they have released from the Deepmind 12 to the TD-3, and I love them all. Also got me a couple of TR8s. I am modifying one of them. Ready to pull the trigger on the WING but holding off because I think they will come out with a Midas DAW controller featuring at least 96k and DANTE. Prior to this, I stayed away from anything and everything that Behringer manufactured.

13. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I did not think of that. :like:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. tun

tun Rock Star

at least i was lucky in some aspect in life :D
    honestly ive not even used an X32 myself so cant really give an honest opinion of it haha, it just rubs me the wrong way, mostly because i know people in my industry are blindly taking advice from people who also blindly took advice from somebody else who also blindly... you get the point.
    in my opinion a good engineer will get the result they need with any equipment they are handed/ can afford and if you blame the gear you have to use it is because you are bad at your job. within reason of course :)
    as you said, you get what you pay for usually, but i feel like behringer always provide more than i pay for.
    i probably do blindly jump to their defence because of my own experiences a little more than i should though hahaha

15. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Dude, you're several years late to the party. X32 is already used by major artists worldwide, Deepmind12 turned out to be another great product, and you see everyone using the new synth modules they come up with. Also, on Thomann, Behringer has been the top selling brand for several years. In the last 30 days, the XR18 mixer is 2nd behind Shure SM58. On Sweetwater, going into digital mixers category and sorting by popular shows WING, X32, XR18, X32 Compact, X32 Rack and scrolling further other brands appear. Behringer are winning bigtime and used everywhere, it's just that people who use the gear are busy and don't bother arguing with others, who won't even listen that things have changed, on the internet.

16. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Here we go again. Dude, do you know how many Behringer products I currently own and use for you to be telling me am late to the party? Who has been one of the biggest promoter of Behringer synths and other offerings on this site? Who created this thread? Do a search before talking, dude.
    I maintain what I said about Behringer's past. You are talking about Behringer TODAY but I was answering someone else's question based on Behringer's PAST as to why people still bad mouth the brand. On top of that, the rest of what you told me does not make any sense. Don't equate popularity with quality. Popularity and quality are 2 different things. Both good and bad products can be popular. Conversely, good can be unpopular. Is the X32 the best digital mixer out there? It is not. Even the other digital mixer offering from The Tribe, the Midas, is a better one. Is the x32 popular? It is, not everyone can afford a $20k or $200k digital mixer. Yet the only reason why a person would choose the X32 over the M32 is its lesser cost. With that said, I am not even arguing that Behringer is not good. I am not arguing that Behringer is not popular. Therefore, your reply is a better fit for someone who would say that the new digital mixers and synths from Behringer are crap. Finally, your last comment
    is a cheap shot at me but understandable, under the circumstances, because you don't even know me, and particularly coming from you does not surprise me one bit.

17. tun

tun Rock Star

hahaha its crazy how often that happens around here. i would understand a little if it was a huge thread with loads of shit to sift through, but this thread has about 15 posts XD

18. retroboy

retroboy Producer

I agree with Pirate.
    Behringer USED to be a bloody awful company (so maybe it's the old gits like me grumbling who were stung with their shitty products the first time round). I bought their rip off of the Mackie 8 bus in the mid-1990's and it fell apart on day one, friggin bag of shite. I vowed never to touch Behringer products again.
    Think it's a different company altogether these days though and they've finally perfected the art of cloning/ ripping off to a high standard.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I look forward to mixing, matching and patching their System 100 and System 55 modules with my Neutron before delving into more exotic and expensive modules from other manufacturers.
    Am also looking forward to their 2600 and the Sequential Circuits Pro 3.
    The Pro 3 won't be cheap like the Behringers.
    Maybe Behringer can clone it and sell for a third of the price :rofl:

20. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I agree that Behringer gets to much shit these days, 15 years ago the complaints had some foundation tho.
    the compressor/expander I had to use at some gigs still haunts me in my nightmares,
    It got as far that I powered up the unit but didn't insert the insertion jack. :rofl:

Fun fact about that, It was used in a very nice Midas table. (Verona, more blue/purple on pictures than I remember)
    Later they got acquired by Behringer. Why they didn't choose to continue on that brand is beyond me.:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  21. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

I am waiting for the ARP 2600 now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List