Behringer BMX prototype & LMDrum

Discussion in 'Synthesizers' started by freefeet12, Mar 17, 2023.

1. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Here they go again: "Friday fun. Our engineers love when they get a new prototype on their desk.
    Today, we fired up the first version of our BMX prototype, an Hommage to the legendary Oberheim DMX.
    Aside from the original sound samples, the BMX has also a built-in sampler, analog filters and much more. This is one cool sampling drum machine.
    What do you think?" - B, via FB

336013687_529032162724426_5664344782125258758_n.jpg 336159812_186910497390764_6619930533093430835_n.jpg

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  3. stopped

stopped Producer

hope they release a less ugly version

4. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I think this sums it up pretty well, from https://www.amazona.de/behringer-bmx-sampling-drum-machine

Oberheim DMX clone + sampler

And another prototype: Behringer shows the digital drum machine BMX (we'll spare the puns). The prototype is obviously based on the Oberheim DMX, but can also sample sounds itself. Wasn't that also the concept of the Behringer LmDrum announced two years ago?

This announcement seems a little strange. The hybrid sampling drum machine is supposed to be equipped with the original sounds of the Oberheim DMX and is clearly based on them in terms of the arrangement of the controls, even if the buttons and knobs don't have a vintage look. In addition, the BMX is supposed to be able to sample itself and process the sounds with analogue filters (master or per sound/channel?) as well as the Wave Designer.

However, these are all features of the envisaged LmDrum, except that it is in Linn design and has (will have) the corresponding samples on board. The other functions seem to be the same, so that one can assume that both machines are based on the same basic construction. Last but not least, both bear the subtitle "Hybrid 8/12 Bit Sampling Drum Machine".
    With the RD-8 and RD-9 duo, the separation makes sense, since the analogue circuits and, to a certain extent, the target groups are different. But with a sample-based drum machine or a drum sampler, an optimised concept would really be more coherent.

But we won't have to worry about that for a long time yet, because there are no concrete or even approximate announcements about the availability of either the Behringer BMX (which still doesn't have a single light on) or the Behringer LmDrum.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

5. DrumcodeX

DrumcodeX Platinum Record

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

That would be grand.

7. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Just a quick note. The Behringer LM DRUM prototype was announced as ready for testing on May 19, 2022. Before that we just got updates on the build. They made sure to note it was still a long way from production. For a while there, with the parts shortage, all they could do is work on the firmware.

Here's some pictures for visual comparison.
    282007668_10160053322443914_522883164100633439_n.jpg 282018686_10160053322408914_8399254097534155059_n.jpg 282339921_10160053322373914_4113807733008240643_n.jpg

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

The OG isn't very pretty but it was far less torture on eyes. Hopefully B listens.

oberheim-dmx-429862.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. clone

clone Audiosexual

it would make crackling noises every time you turn the handlebars. It would be worth half what you paid for it the minute you rolled it out the door. Every time you got a flat, you would have to wait for a new MK number.

10. Orglblork

Orglblork Ultrasonic

I had an Oberheim DX for a while, that thing was so killer. I sold it because I was using equally thick samples on an MPC. But the drum machine itself was so excellent.

If Behringer doesn't make it sound old there's really no purpose to its existence, there are hundreds of DMX samples out there that you could pop into any other sampler.

11. emax2

emax2 Ultrasonic

The DMX was heavily used by New Order and The Thompson Twins. Once the back up on chips is finished i will probably get it when it actually comes out

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

The whole point of it was that you can just toss it into your handbag then go all GTA on peoples ass with it as a weapon because of it's anti-theft features self-patrolling each and every side of that sturdy brick beach house. Nowadays that shit features handlebars & someone can just hop on then ride away quick without anyone identifying any one of their facial features.

13. dondada

dondada Rock Star

14. notremid

notremid Producer

I may actually get one once released and people sell it off cheaper once the novelty wears off. Till then I will tinker with my Korg Volca Sample

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

If I can get some really good sounding 8 and 12 bit samples out of B's machines I'll def get it. I really don't care about anything else but it could be a bonus.

I have some cool samplers but they're old and every time I turn them on there's a little fear running through me.

BTW from Synthtopia 2017. Behringer removed this info from their site shortly after.

Also: "These specifications do not make any mention of the audio input or sampling capability, so it’s clear that the specs have evolved since Behringer’s original announcement"

• Recreation of one of earliest and most influential digital drum machines
    • 25 sounds: 3 Kicks, 3 Snares, 3 Hats, 6 Toms, 2 Rides, 2 Shakers, 2 Tambs, Rimshot, Handclap, Crash & Click
    • 8 voice architecture with independent level & pitch controls for each voice
    • High-resolution real-time sequencer with non-destructive quantization for capturing finger drumming performances
    • Additional step sequencer mode with 64 steps per pattern with storage of up to 64 patterns and 16 songs
    • Integrated Wave Designer with individual attack and sustain controls for studio quality drum sound
    • Integrated dual-mode filter with dedicated frequency and resonance controls for huge sound shaping options
    • 8 independent analog outputs to record your patterns as multi-track audio
    • Easily readable 7-segment 4-character LED display for tempo with dedicated tap tempo button
    • 24 velocity sensitive pads with bold, full-color LEDs
    • Up to 99 loop measures of each pattern change with 16 pattern changes per song
    • Songs can be chained together for expanded compositions
    • Unique Auto Scroll feature for extremely easy operation
    • Comprehensive Midi In/Out/Thru and USB implementation for synchronization and connection to external devices
    • Per-track Solo and Mute for enhanced realtime control
    • Sync options include USB, MIDI, clock and internal
    • Powerful headphone and L/R main outputs on 1/4” TRS connectors
    • 3-Year Warranty Program

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

An Akai or Emu rack sampler will outlast anything behringer makes by multiple years, and probably multiple owners. They were made with metal. This looks like a repurposed rd-8 or 9. I'd be more nervous turning this on than a 20 year old emu and even more so with an akai. They were built to use on tours, this will have soft little rubber buttons where you have to push "the special 1 corner" in months.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  17. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

I have Akai, E-mu, Roland and Ensoniq samplers from the 80s to early 2k. Mostly 80s. All the greatest hits if you will. I'm really into samplers. My 1200 took a crap not that long ago (so did my brother in law's actually, but a couple years ago) and it's not the first one. I know they will die eventually. Thankfully I have an absurd library of samples I ran through my machines over the last 25+ years. Having something new and cheap like one of these Behringer offerings for studio use only, if it actually sounds good and gives me that lo-fi goodness, will essentially give my old babies a break for a few years and give me another flavor, hopefully. Of course, they might totally suck, or never be released for all I know, and that plan goes out the window.

Eventually someone will nail it ITB and I won't have any need for hardware samplers at all. As it is, these days I only use hardware samplers for their unique flavor and I load the samples into Bitwig's Sampler in a modular environment. Just can't beat that with hardware.

Some of my old gear is dying. :sad: My Juno, dead but powers on. I think it might be all the voice chips. It did die one note at a time. My Nord Lead, totally dead. Don't know why. My Nord Lead 3, blows the fuse every time I try to power it on. Dead for now. My Novation Bass Station, dying. Knobs are going crazy, one stopped working totally. Tried replacing it, no go. No clue. Above my head.

Behringer has a bad reputation from the old days, and yes it's cheaply made stuff, but I have Behringer gear (in the studio, not mine) that has lasted just as long as some of my far better more expensive well made equipment. Even outlasted some.Just the luck of the draw I guess.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

the Juno is almost always the voice chips. With the emus, the fan goes out. the screens go blank on all of the old units. The Emu Jog wheels all skip eventually. Those things are normal wear and tear, where an akai will probably not even have half of the bad things happen. they are virtually indestructible. Maybe you need a multimeter and to track down an odd part. Most of them will sample rate convert directly to 12 bit. Maybe cheaper units are not a 1200 or a s900/1000 in workflow but they are very close in sound. More than you will ever notice after you saturate them into your mix. With a behringer you just shitcan it. You may have one get lucky, because really you just used it considerably less before it broke. but it will...

the nl3 is throwing fuses most likely because somewhere there is an electrical shortage. you should get a Fluke. they are also nearly indestructible :)

They are doing what software devs are doing, when they say "see my plugin is the same as a 13,000$ compressor so it's worth 29$." when one is a compressor and the other is a file. It's not a 300$ 808, it's something that will end up in a landfill or the ocean. They are making future garbage.

19. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

^re: E-mu rack samplers jog wheel

ascii keyboard helps

20. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    Always thought of the BMX as, at heart, a small, clown bike...
    honk! honk!
    Oops.

I guess we'll see about this one shall we?

21. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

No update, but they posted this picture and look what's on it.

Attached Files: