Behringer ADA8200 Ultragain vs. RME OctaMic XTC

Discussion in 'Studio' started by kokorico, Dec 27, 2022.

1. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

I think It's subtle and you? I know youtube codecs compression are not good but...

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Close only counts in horse shoes...yah?

Seriously though, I personally would choose the RME. Very good for a five year old piece of tech.

By the time you get to a final mix, the sound from the RME would be more pronounced with character compared to the flatter sounding Behringer unit. Reminds me of hardware vs software. Just that extra something to make you smile.

Really have been going RME vs other mid to high end units. Solid support, well designed hardware & software, excellent resell/trade value.

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah my favourite video,
    can we just appreciate how great those drums sound unprocessed, on both Behringer and RME,
    proves that 80% of the sound is not in audio hardware/software/plugins, but instrument and player
    :chilling:

for anyone deciding between ADA8200 and XTC, I had both, got rid of both, using Octamic II and Octamic D instead,
    with ADA8200, it can't go 96kHz because of having only one ADAT pair, doesn't have individually switchable phantom power, gain range is rather limited, you need Pads when recording hot signals with condenser mics for ex.,
    on the other hand, XTC can be controlled directly from TotalMix IF you have RME audio interface as primary device, digital gain control is convenient for recalling snapshots or iPad remote control, but I prefer "hands on" pots on older Octamic units to be honest; if I were buying RME preamp today, 12-Mic offers better value with its 12 Mic ins

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

Thanks for the clarification, guys. But why do people do this? He had a deal with Behringer and got royalties?
    We're all screwed with this kind of dystopia. Haha!

6. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Because people like watching comparissons between low budget and high(ish) budget stuff.

It's self torture, i too like to watch video comparissons with stuff i can't afford and cheap stuff i have (and the other way around), question my life decissions and drown all thoughts on alcohol. It's fun, i'm having fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Pule

Pule Producer

Behringer sounds a little more closed with shorter and less defined decay.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

In the mic preamp world, the company with the fewest letters in the name of the brand is always superior. In the case of RME vs Behringer, RME is nearly 3x better.

So now you know.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  9. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

The funny thing for me is that I know that an opinion is often biased based on our own material and marketing.
    To tell you the truth, I don't really care about any of that. Only the result matters and the final listener doesn't care about the technical aspects of the production and mixing.

10. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

please someone explain why nowdays people do tend to record a drumkit to have it sound this way ? and not like they used to do it in the late 1960's and mid of 1970s (ie, listen to the Pink Floyd Atom Heart, Obscured by Clouds , Betty Davis, Beatles etc..)

in that video, why that damn snare drum have to rip through my brain nerves and quickly become annoying, irritating and barely enjoyable to listen, and that only after 15-20sec of listening to that demo video????

FFS,; be it octamic or behringer.. :dunno: i could listen to a solo drumkit record done in the 1970's endlessly, but not today anymore ..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

There ought to be more of these comparison vids that actually trick the viewers / listeners in the comments, which would be revealed in the next vid. As in, BOTH examples could be just recorded through the same Digimax LT or something and you'd still get all these comments like "Track B has more high end and definition than Track A".

I'd like to see more of these "engineers" with golden ears who populate youtube comments get BTFOd

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

Like, Roland Jupiter 8 hardware vs Roland Jupiter 8 cloud - except they are both just the exact same recording of a Diva patch, etc

"the one on the left is definitely FATTER and more ANALOG"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. clone

clone Audiosexual

Goalposts are for moving, and Streaming Algorithms are for blaming.

14. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Producer

@quadcore64 Read up on confirmation bias... even golden eared pro mixers can't tell the difference between ADC chips if given a proper ABX test. Ethan Winer made a lot of people (pro engineers) hopping mad at Gearslutz forum when they couldn't pick out different preamps or converters in ABX tests.

Most people (even pro engineers) can't even tell the difference between a properly encoded mp3 and a wave file. No shame in it just the way it is.

You buy RME gear for features and reliability. Any ADC from within the last decade will get the same results sonically speaking. Unless your ears are calibrated test equipment, which they are not. They are just human ears connected to a bias inducing brain.

I bought a cheap ADAT mic preamp by Presonus. Sound is same as any other neutral preamp but capacitor for 48V failed at some point. So hardware reliability is not the same as RME, is my guess. Also had some random sync issues so I can't trust it. Cheaper gear means cheaper components i most cases. And saving on features such as individually switched phantom power etc. (having individually switched phantom power is a must). Also design flaws that you might not think of with cheaper gear (on my Presonus preamp you have to switch phantom power in pairs and the witch is located at the back of the unit which is so annoying.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. Pule

Pule Producer

My opinion is based on what I hear. Not all people have the same hearing or capabilities, nor can differences be heard in different types of music. In classical music, the Behringer really sounds how much it costs, but for disco music, it really doesn't matter.

16. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Some people can sense fear, accurately tell you the weather is about to change, taste something that most people miss. No shame in that. Just the way it is.

I could definitely hear the difference in the posted video. Even through the youtube codec. Used headphones & monitors.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  17. statik

statik Audiosexual

Brom En Harde Ruis Is Net Geen Echte Randapparatuur. though this is from years ago, before they stepped up their game.

though very funny and very true i think i'm gonna hate you after seeing your profile pic, god i miss that machine *cries*:suicide:

18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

YEA, the signal to noise ratio is so bad with the Behringer that there is hardly any usable gain in that thing, so absolutely, your right about that.

19. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

It's no secret that you only get marginally better sound quality with choosing RME over Behringer. What you are actually paying for is the excellent quality control, customer service and the knowledge that the product is going to be supported basically forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. kokorico

kokorico Platinum Record

I have a small discrete 4 in thunderbolt from Antelope. Just for fun, I'm going to buy this AD8200 and do my AB testing with my eyes closed and if it's really bad I'll give it to a band with no money.
    I also have a presonus 1824c for recording drums and a Motu M2 for traveling.
    I'm going to confront them too.
    I have a feeling that my vacation will be interesting.
    Merry Christmas to all the guys on the forum!

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

wise move to decide whats better for you yourself
    please, share your results here with us

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022