BEHOLD THE NEW MAC PRO 2019

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

more interesting would it be, how many instances of avenger and how many voices could it handle and if the new logic can distribute the cpu consumption of one channel to multiple cores

2. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

John Paesano and a few others actually.
    And probably one of the many reasons they choose Cubase over Locic... for now ;)

3. ontschoeit

ontschoeit Kapellmeister

I'd prefer it over every Apple computer.

4. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

They think so big, that even US FTC and Congress begin to think if they are (too) big. Amongst others.

In the past, there have been several anti trust trials in the US. One of the biggest (by impact) was Bell telephone in the seventies.
    Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

I've just realised:
    Base Spec is 8 Cores @ 3.5GHz...
    Top Spec is 28 Cores...@ 2.5GHz!
    Not good for audio.

6. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

They try to convince you otherwise.
    Look from 1:30:00:

7. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  8. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Yeah, I watched David do that.
    But there's also bounced audio in there, and a lot of simple MIDI for multi-timbral instances of Kontakt.
    Doesn't seem honest, really.
    The vid editing looks awesome though.

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    what exactly is bad about it?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. vanhaze

vanhaze Platinum Record

Ideally for Audio: all Cores at a constant 4.4 GHz.
    Turbo Boost functionality is not good for audio, cause it can cause dropouts, (cause it takes time in the cpu to switch to 4.4 GHz)

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I believe not in that way,
    what might cause dropouts is cpu thermal throttling causing Turbo Boost being triggered off, but if the new Mac Pro can handle sustained workloads (which precisely is, what workstation rig should be capable of) without dropping core clocks, then the Turbo Boost should behave properly and not cause issues (and I personally think that might have been one of reasons why Apple didn't go multi-cpu (more physical chips as seen before with old cheesegrater) neither for AMD cpus yet

EDIT: it's also a matter of firmware/BIOS of new Macs to properly define cpu and kernel power management interaction in order to let Mac Pro run at max performance instead prioritizing low noise operation...at least I hope so

12. smallboy15

smallboy15 Producer

13. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Awesome machine in every way except affordability, but that's my problem...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

Mine CPU switch between 4.20 and 4.19 GHz does that mean it's not constant? What bios setting to change that, I don't remember.
    [​IMG]

Lately when I have overclocked in bios to around 4.4 GHz I get the blue screen and something about kernel and power. So I keep my bios to default for the time being. I think the crashes are due to the memory. For some strange reason it does not like the XMP set to 2400 MHz so I set it to auto. I think the XMP change when I try the EZ tuning wizard, and therefore crashes. I gonna take a memory diagnostic test cause it could be a faulty memory. Another theory I have is that 2400 MHz does not like overclocking and I must buy a higher MHz (maybe over 3000 MHz)

15. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

Those are audio tracks to show Logics previous limit. Same with midi. No smoke and mirrors really.
    This thing is a monster as it should be. The vader top line was 3.0GHz 8-Core.

Watch Christian Henson's video when he attempts to kill his vader (prior to his new one getting installed) by duplicating an actual film score 4 times I think. It still chugs along. You can tell he even thinks "I've wasted my money". He gave that vader away for free to some random on vi-c :O

Edit. Tracks 600-700 are dupes of 1-100 as nothing is coming from them, and they are named 1-100. But like I say, it's basically to demonstrate they've overcome that limitation. 1000 piece would sound even worse then the piece he originally composed :D

16. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

Hopefully this pro company demographic can prop Apple Corp and it's stock holders. Pricing itself out of range of everyday consumers and small scale pro's seems counterintuitive. And remember how well Apple's initial focus on educational institutions went... Gave the industry to PC for a couple decades.

When an iPhone jumps to the cost of the recent price of a MacBook pro and suddenly Samsung jumps it's price to possibly maintain percieved value we get inflation that becomes a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. sms2000

sms2000 Ultrasonic

18. GT33

GT33 Kapellmeister

[​IMG] i use both got macs windowzez and hackintoshes

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Epidemico

Epidemico Producer

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@Epidemico: I agree in the direct comparison of the two men.
    But that "sell stolen ideas" is not quite true. Or is true for everyone born after Adam and Eve. We all, and every inventor builds on the ideas of so many others, and no one would be able to invent something like a computer OS/language on his own without the work of generations and generations of people working in that field before him/her.

Steve Jobs is over-idealized most of the time, thats true. And I don't like him as a person either. But the first success of Apple e.g. was the combination of Steve Wozniak (great engineer) and Steve Jobs (great salesman).
    But most likely Steve Wozniak would not have bulit a company like Apple. Proof is, that everything he started after he left Apple failed massively although he had hundereds of millions to invest.

It's a matter of fact that Apple won't exist today without the salesman and manager Jobs. Apple was almost bankrupt when he returns and he managed it to make it one of the most successful corporations of all time.

It needs a genius to invent something like an OS, but it needs a genius to lead people in a company to that kind of outstanding success as Jobs did as well.

The comparison of a scientist and an entrepreneur is not easy if one would like to see who of the is "worth" more for the society.
    Who brought more jobs and wealth Mr. Ritchie or Mr. Jobs?
    I'm quite sure Steve Jobs's impact is bigger on a shorter time scale, while Ritchie's is bigger in the long run. I think we need both types of people.

It's undisputed that the press is unfair to ignore Ritchie almost in contrast to Jobs.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019