BEHOLD THE NEW MAC PRO 2019

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by tzzsmk, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/aapl/interactive-chart?timeframe=5y
    this explains a lot, they had signficant stockmarket problems half a year ago, and we see now the result of the Marketing department trying to do something against it:
    "How can we get into a better Image? Like we are Number 1 Computer manufacturer?"
    The typical USA : "THINK BIG" attitude.
    Very soon the Hype is over and the stockmarket value dropping down even more.

2. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Building a PC in the past with the same or competitive configuration as a Mac in the past = end price is nearly the same (a little less cheaper).
    This Macpro costs like double the price of its components...
    Are the "pros" retarded to buy this shit when they can buy a computer with !!!better!!! parts for less money? Just to run an OS with software that becomes obsolete and incompatible after they upgrade their OS (not like people can't build a hackintosh, right)?
    I'm waiting for Apple's fanboys answer...

3. mash_7

mash_7 Newbie

I wish there was another alternative to Mac other than Windows that was able to run Ableton etc.
    Definitely need a new computer in the not too distant future. Maybe I'll have to go down the Hackintosh route...

4. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I was trying to respond to the notion that a pro justifies the cost of Apple's comps which also have restrictive measures to prevent the kind of flexibility Mac computers used to have. To further illustrate this, I came across a review by Linus Tech Tips which drew up this itemized list of components in the macpro by cost. According to the list all components in the Macpro could come out to $3,160 however the MacPro Lite has a pricetag of $6,000. When I say I think Apple's restrictions that are being implemented to force an almost 100% markup for a machine that seems taylord to a one-size-fits-all system (Audio, Video production) pushed onto users, who may only need the features for audio and prefer not to have those extra components which have actually hindered performance for audio production in the past, seems to benefit stockholders more then user needs.

[​IMG]

I realized jacking someone's personal picture of their dog from the web for my avatar while posting whiny complaints about corporations from the profile might be a bit inconsiderate. Giving this one a test run, is from a dope anime series.

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

That's it ! That's why people built Hackintoshe's to fill the big gap.

6. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I just finished building my i9-9900 Hack (Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro, Vega 56, I9, 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 64 GB RAM, 10 TB HDD).

Took me 2 days to finish the Hackintosh. It was pretty easy.

1. Update firmware for the motherboard.
    2. Update firmware for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (very important or macOS won't work!)
    3. Set BIOS options
    4. Download Mojave
    5. Create USB stick with Unibeast
    6. Install Mojave
    7. Copy contents from stick to boot drive

Done. Worked out of the box.

Most time consuming of the installation was the set up of the USB ports.

1. Get Hackintool
    2. Run USB in Hackintool
    3. Plugin an USB 2.0 device into each USB port one by one
    4. Reboot and set boot parameters as in description
    5. Run USB in Hackintool again
    6. Plugin an USB 3.0 device into each USB port one by one
    7. Set which USB ports are 2.0, which are internal and which are 3.0 and USB-C
    8. Export the data on the boot partition

Done.

Most time consuming part overall was the migration of all software from my old hackintosh to the new one. However, as it is a Mac and not Windows, I could just copy over most of the files from a few directories.

Everything up and running.

It took me almost a week after that to install Windows 10 as dual boot and install all software again from scratch as nothing else worked. I got issues with the graphics card and my monitor because Windows 10 didn't wanted to give me 4k UHD but a black screen instead. Required me to install Windows over and over again multiple times and a ton of reboots.

Now I'm just waiting for an external Timemachine hard drive and I'm all finished. In case of a disaster strike, I could get any part of the system within 3 hours delivered to my door.

Hackintosh is clearly the way to go. And if Apple will ever go down the toilet or destroys Hackintoshs, I could fallback to Windows.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

If you do a clone with SuperDuper or CCC the backup is also bootable :)
    However backup takes longer.
    I am curious , which DAW do you use ?

8. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

Can you actually buy a Mac OS from Apple nowadays or is a hacky always illegal (if you don't buy a Mac)? Not that I care, just wondering because Hackintoshs are often mentioned on 'Slutz and they are usually really strict when piracy is mentioned.

9. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

installing macOS on non Apple branded hardware is agains Apple Eula. However the Eula is not in all countries (eg Germany) valid as far as I know.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. fritzm

fritzm Producer

:yawn:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  11. Rudy Manterie

Not as boring as people whining about other people's threads...

12. fritzm

fritzm Producer

Great, Apple sucks. Now I will get on with my life. :deep_facepalm:

13. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I use a special backup partition of the 10 TB internal HDD for a CCC backup every morning. So in case something would go wrong with a future macOS update, booting the backup is just the push of a button, and copying back to my main drive is done in 5 minutes. An external Timemachine backup is an addition to this, because, well, it's a time machine, not just a backup.

I use mostly Cubase 10. But I'm not a professional. Music is just a part of what I use the hackintosh for.

An Eula is not the law. And it's debatable if the Eula is even valid, as Apple sold macOS to everyone some years ago (I don't know if they still do?). It would probably be pretty hard for Apple to enforce anything. However, Apple may just implement something to prevent the use of other hardware (T3 chip?).

But actually I think Apple doesn't really care too much about the Hackintosh community. It's actually good marketing for their products as people tend to stick with what they like and may buy a real Mac in the future, or add a real iPad or iPhone to their hack.

The Eula may just include this stuff so no Hackintosh user could ask for support on macOS. I don't know. But worst case, there is always the option to fall back to Windows. Even most software comes as Windows & Mac version interchangeably for one price.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

6 pages about an Apple release...
    Imagine when it actually gets released.

15. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Just imagine the cleaning staff, who had to clean all that jizz left by all the enthusiastic fans...
    I mean, cheese, not jizz

Then, they showed it running over 1000 tracks, in logic....probably over 98% were just midi files playing kontak libraries from the RAM, which comsume almost no cpu...with some basic eqing... lol, how easy it is, to fool some people.

No matter how much money you have...fuck..1000 dolars for a stand...
    Apple is clearly targetting the pro video dudes... who have already spent 20..30...40'000 bucks on cameras, software, lenses, accessories, etc etc. ...who absolutely need it, to create pro content ....
    ...whereas a music guy, with a 70$ 1080p monitor, a cheap midi keyboard and a 60 $/€ 2channel audio interface, already can produce all the pro content he wants...

Here were aren't talking about a 1000 dollar tablet or iphone...or a 3'000$ macbook...
    Entry price, for a miserable 8core, 256gb ssd a graphic card and 32gb ram, 6000 bucks. ..!

In jjust a few months, there will be pcie4 based motherboards, and 7nm amd cpus. Probably before december 2019, or q1 2020, the new threadripper should have 64core/128 threads, for less than 2000 dollars
    not defending intel or amd, but,
    if you can have a threadripper-based system with 64 cores, pcie4, ton of ram, m.2...ssd.. for less than 4000 bucks, why getting a 5999 entry level macpro...

Which company will be spending 6000+6000...like 20'000$ per user..if there are 20 employees, thst will make 400'000 dollars.
    will they work 50% faster ? 20% ? 10% ?
    how much will cost the video acceleration cards ? Another 5'000 ? 10'000 ?

is there a parallel world, where everybody can spend 10'000...30'000 dollars, on apple hardware?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  16. Foobar

Foobar Producer

I'm kind of surprised how little most people seem to know about professionals.

If you spent half a million bucks on camera hardware, equipment and special video cards and components you need anyway to make movies and shell out $100k a year on top of that for everyone on your staff, do you really think someone will sit down and discuss if they could get a $15k Mac Pro for $8k in 2 years if they build the PC themselves and install Windows?
    And they know that all the soft- and hardware companies already work with Apple to ensure full compatibility and support with a Mac Pro out of the box.

Is there seriously a parallel world where any company would do this?

17. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I'm not, by several of the replies it's obvious.

But hey, maybe Pete from IT is currently on Ebuyer getting all these parts people list and spending his weekend building new machines for the editing crew. Yep, that'll be it.

18. Foobar

Foobar Producer

And if Pete needs a week to get all driver problems sorted out, while half of the staff stands around waiting for him, you could have probably got 2 Mac Pros completely for free already from the money this week costs you.

And four months later all hell breaks loose when the next Microsoft Windows update breaks the drivers of your rendering cards and your Anti-Virus goes crazy while you are on a tight deadline to finish the project by 8pm or you will lose the $2 million budget from your contract with the news company.

But hey, at least we saved $5000 bucks from going with AMD Threadripper. Take this, Apple!

19. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

On forums, very easy it seems. See below for the actual answer

Existing Logic
    • Up to 255 audio channel strips
    • Up to 255 software instrument channel strips
    • Up to 255 auxiliary channel strips
    • Up to 256 busses
    • Up to 99 external MIDI tracks
    New Logic (that fooled people...)
    • Up to 1000 stereo audio channel strips
    • Up to 1000 software instrument channel strips
    • Up to 1000 auxiliary channel strips
    • Up to 256 busses
    • Up to 1000 external MIDI tracks

20. Rudy Manterie

But only Junkie XL would have need for that - and he uses Cubase... ; )

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List