[behindthespeakers.com] Mixing Challenge: A Fine Way to Up your Game

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by mercurysoto, Aug 30, 2017.

1. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    If you are not familiar with this site, Behind the Speakers is one other site filled with practical mixing and music production tips. Unlike Pensado, who will always say that he's reviewed the baddest-ass everything (there comes a point that everything in this world is so awesome for him that nothing really is), Jason Moss is not afraid to vent his thoughts about certain "audio production myths." Anyway, I just stumbled upon this video of his where he recommends the best 5 multitrack download sites, but most importantly, he chooses a selection of multitracks for mixing that he considers to be challenging enough to help you improve as a mixer.

We might even consider putting together a mixing contest for the sake of learning from each other. Any takers? :mates:

3. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This is a great idea! It'd be cool if there were different tracks in different genre's every month or so and the contest just ran from month to month. That'd give plenty of time for people to schedule it in, and get their entry done, but keep it interesting.
    I've been wanting to try my hand at some pop or EDM type music just to learn something new.

4. Beth

Beth Guest

Sounds like a good idea to me :like:

5. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

Yeah. I've been meaning to do something like this after I saw it in Graham Cochrane's site, Dueling Mixes, but i haven't been had much luck getting some people together. Maybe we can do it among ourselves, the few who would want it, and post results so people can get attracted to it. All for the sake of learning more.

6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

We could simply choose one of those 5 selected mixes, which are supposed to provide a learning experience according to Jason Moss, give it a go, and explain the process/experience/difficulty/reward of working on that mix. The others could give feedback.

7. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

@mercurysoto, that would likely be a good starting point since the tracks are already there. I'll have to check the site when I have a minute. Hope there are more takers than just us three.:mates:

8. Beth

Beth Guest

Yeah i am open to any ideas. I would think that this thread will generate more interest and ideas over the next few days from other people too.

9. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Set a target, set the rules, set a loudness level and standard, if the track is catchy I could be tempted. Summer vacation is over, life is slowing down to sane speeds.

10. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

He's also not afraid to use clickbait titles like
    • 5 Reverb Mistakes You Don’t Know You’re Making
    • 5 Compression Mistakes You Don’t Know You’re Making
    • 5 Places to DL free stuff (which is actually a listeo)
    I prolly already know some of the content, and the sensationalist titles are enough for me to not click on them.

If your content were actually that important & valuable, you'd make a well-written article, not a clickbaity YT video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

12. omokels

omokels Noisemaker

What a great idea,,, guys I'm in

13. omokels

omokels Noisemaker

And by the way, first post on an AudioSEX forum

14. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I don't think there is anything to be into, I just remember people were looking for multi-tracks in this thread.

Look at the previous dates it has been months.