Beginning to feel guilty...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrAnonymous, Aug 10, 2014.

1. mafana

mafana Newbie

Just uninstall everything. Problem solved? hehe

2. willdathrill

willdathrill Producer

damn I missed Cat getting Another one. :thumbsup:

3. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

If you feel guilty, go and donate some money for a good thing... if 1000 bucks are reached, you'll get 4 plugins for FREE...

https://www.justgiving.com/de-la-mancha/

4. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

That's incredibly deep thought my friend, which only emphasizes the fact that trying things out is not just optional but necessary.
    The fact that we create our music which captures our essence, we need to be very picky indeed to find the one that resonates with our heart's content the most, because otherwise we wouldn't be making our music but theirs. :bow:

5. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Sadly we have people starving right here in the forums. :(

6. Frubbs

Frubbs Kapellmeister

I think you have to make a distinction between, say, a 16-year-old who's just feeling out what's available on a very limited budget, and someone who's maybe in his 40's and more established, with presumably more funds for studio gear and software. It's certainly more understandable to use wares earlier in your career, but it's quite habit-forming - it can be very hard to decide you've crossed a line where you should be paying for something you would previously have felt comfortable downloading. I work professionally in both post audio and music, and like many people, I have a rule whereby the minute I use something for a paying gig (or to bid for a paying gig) I have to own it - this makes sense not only ethically, but practically, since you want to have updates and dev support when you rely on something for a gig, especially if the client is looking over your shoulder.

But let's face it, there are a lot of grey areas. I know I have things in my studio I DL'd to check out, assuming I'd decide whether to buy them once I knew how well they worked. In many cases I know that now but I'm still sitting on them. There are some great sample libs that I've never used on a gig but I've played with a lot, been inspired by, developed some ideas on, perhaps embryonic ideas that led indirectly to things I did for money - should I buy those libraries? Probably. Now I'm starting to feel guilty.

That said, any discussion of the ethics of downloading has to take into account the opportunity it allows us to wade through the various products on a hands-on level and sort through the hype and the reality, so our purchases are more informed and selective. It also must be said that the dev lobby wildly exaggerates the lost revenue for downloading, quite conveniently assuming that every download is a lost sale. The fact is that most downloads are by people that would never buy the product, whether or not is was available online for free. This is not a lost sale, but it is free advertising among a pretty qualified customer pool.

7. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ MrAnonymous,

Well... till your article, I felt, how to say that... a bit 'guilty', of course !
    But since your article, look what happened to that poor 'Studio 555'...

[​IMG]

Great result, isn't, MrAnonymous !!! :snuffy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

Oo.. wow !

I made a post on the 1st page of THIS thread then left for a few days and all hell broke lose up in here ! HAHAHAH

Well ...

With more money spent on my music software than I spent on my last few ex-wives... my point was simply this...

Sometimes people show you the latest, greatest APP, VST, RTAS or something.... THEY may even install it for you... if I later like it ... and find myself using it.... I tend to actually buy it...

Its nice to have official upgrades, patches and whatnot....

That idea crossed my mind after a flashback of the Linkin Park video that was released with this screenshot seen in their studio ...

This is linkin park folks ... im sure they got a lot more bucks than I do.... :dunno:

Im not pointing fingers at ANYONE... but when I actually use something that I somehow 'got' or was installed in my little studio (when I was not looking, of course) ... I like to pay for it ... ESPECIALLY IF ITS IN MY YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR THE WORLD TO SEE !

PIC of what im sayin' ---> CLICK HERE <--- My link

9. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

for those who really fell guilty: make a paypal donation to the "world digital developer rights association" is called "rtwor"

10. tooloud

tooloud Guest

I've played hundreds of gigs from back in the late 70's. Before that I musta have bought well obver 500 albums. Then I replaced them all with CD's. I went to see every band I loved and they were numerous. I own a lot of nice gear, spent a lot making my studio just how I want it. The story so far reads..... for 40 years I've been spending money on gear making Roland rich, Ive bough so many albums I'm sure some git out there has a pool thanks to me. Now. Now I just do this for my own pleasure. I'm not making money and for me a copy of something I don't buy is to me like a tax return. I spent hard to help build the system.... now it's time I get something.

11. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Producer

It's nice to see some folks say that they buy things from time to time to support developers. From what little I know about it, it seems like a couple extra sales a month for some of the one man operations might be the difference between making it or not. Helping some of the interesting and creative shops keep their doors open seems like a worthwhile thing to do in this big corporate world. I shop at Walmart and eat at the (occasional) chain restaurant, but sometimes I go by the used bookshop and pick up a cheep book or go to a little mom and pop deli cause I want them to be around.

12. Gulliver

Gulliver Member

Imagine you are going to a hairdresser.

She washes your hair, then cuts it expertfully, and finally dries and combs it.
    Then you just stand up and leave the shop without paying.

When she asks you to pay, you just say: "I don't pay and it is fully OK that I don't pay. Because I did not take anything away from you. I haven't stolen anything which you now don't have."

Bullshit, right?

Well, that is EXACTLY THE SAME "LOGIC" people use when they say stealing software is 100% OK because you haven't really stolen any physical object.

You have used TIME, RESOURCES/EQUIPMENT and SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE that were being used/needed in developing your product (or cutting your hair).
    This is what you haven't paid for.

Is that really so hard to understand?

I don't condemn anybody for using pirated software (expect people making money with it), but to use such an argumentation to explain why it is fully OK is just plain ridiculous, and anybody over the age of, let's say 14, should understand that.

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Well said Gulliver. :thumbsup: