Before finishing my last tune, can you tolerate Jazz?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Aug 10, 2016.

?

Yes or No

1. Yes!

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. foster911

foster911 Guest

What I say, absolutely will be used against me in the court.

Before and after the year 1958:
    Before 1958, jazz was based on tonal harmony from the European classical tradition. Understanding and internalizing diatonic harmony, chord function, tension and release, and voice-leading will help you play music from the New Orleans, swing, and bebop eras.
    George Russell’s concept was an abandonment of tonal harmony. Today’s jazz theory is rooted in chord/scale unity from George Russell’s Lydian Chromatic Concept. The foundation of Russell’s concept is that a seven-note Lydian chord is more consonant than a seven-note Ionian (major scale) chord.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

1- Are you able to establish a good relationship with it?

2- Has its relevant harmony been theorized knowingly or just following the classic-escaping tradition that was prevalent more than a century ago (you know, modernism, post-modernism, ...)?

3- Suppose you liked it, do you consent to make a jazz track?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  3. Pereira

Pereira Producer

It's one of the few things I can tolerate nowaday......
    what do you mean?

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

If you'd like it, are you ready to fold up your sleeves and try to make a jazz music?

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

A good relationship? More like "just friends with benefits".

6. SoulsAlive

SoulsAlive Noisemaker

I absolutelly love jazz, but maybe not the classic jazz. I am more of a metheny/bossa/funk/fussion guy, but the principles are the same.

What i don't tolerate is a Xmajor Ionian chord with a natural 4th (maybe as a special effect to create more tension), but i tend to fly away from very close minor 2nds as they sound as if a horn was being played.

Again, it is a matter of taste...but in my case, any note in a 2nd minor interval from it's chord note and my testicles will try to hide UP (if that is what you are looking for, great...dissonance i mean, not your balls relocated to your tommy)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

"Tolerate"? Interesting choice of words... Not sure about the sub-context of the question.

8. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

O/P. What absolute pointless dribble in your post! (nothing changes with you I see)

9. foster911

foster911 Guest

To your benefit:
    (
    alarming - music in the background and they don't notice it much)
    Why Americans Don’t Like Jazz (http://dyske.com/paper/778)

It's just the author's view.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  10. NYCGRIFF

NYCGRIFF Audiosexual

Quite an interesting article. The author is probably closer to the truth than even he might realize. I've gotta run now, but I will certainly be back to elongate this discussion further. It literally screams for more insight.

11. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

This is just another one of your nonsense postings, containing a meaningless collection of words designed to give the impression you actually know what you're taking about. It's a text version of verbal diarrhea - something you're a master at.

Try posting your actual *music* not your personal thesis on how Peruvian earthworms might produce music if they only listened to the sound of a mating amoeba who's happens to be wearing a sombrero - the one that used to belong to a famous Euphonium player?

12. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

13. foster911

foster911 Guest

I selected yes with fear. I'm always afraid and see the nightmare of me been abducted by one of you and .....beep.

14. Pereira

Pereira Producer

I already do, and from a lot of time......:yes:

15. foster911

foster911 Guest

Yeah, all of the members are chaste and me the only bitch here.:bleh:

16. Pereira

Pereira Producer

chastity? What the f*** does? I understand that your willing to chat cheerfully, but in this case I think you should find different paths.
    Do not take it, but I do not think everyone here will pass the day with EDM or pop only, everybody tries to find inspiration in different musical genderes.
    And it's not a matter of feeling superior or more cultured, you can do bad jazz music with wide musical bases and vice versa, as well as making good pop music or EDM is far from simple.

The point is to do what you like, or at least trying to do it. And if the results do not satisfy you, the study will surely improve, but it will never replace talent and inspiration.

I don't think Coltrane passed all his time studying the melodic implications between a chord in Lydian mode and one in Ionian one. Surely he knew that a given progression required notes based on a certain scale mode or on a mix of them, and then .... he played on it!

But I have to admit :sad:: I will never able to compose for or to play with Snarky Puppy :dunno: