Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata dubstep remix

Discussion in 'Music' started by nism, May 3, 2022.

1. nism

nism Ultrasonic

Well, I like it. Something new and pleasing. (you can start from ~ 3:10)

I would say the world is going in the right direction. Bravo.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  3. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

Nice sarcasm, friend. Wait... you were being sarcastic, right?
    Cause this is terrible.

4. waverider

waverider Rock Star

i personally like it, although classical purists might not enjoy it. but he is really creative, both with combining different pieces as well as making an EDM arrangement out of it. also the performance itself is nicely done

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

Every few years the Machine cranks out another "classically trained musician" like a lady with a violin or something; and try to merge it with whatever is commercial and trendy in current music. The results are rather predictable.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Wow! Everything that has gone wrong with modern composing condensed to a succinct few minutes!
    "Here is, more or less, how music used to be, and here it is with the life and soul crushed out of it."
    :bleh:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  7. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Sonatas, munutes and Fugues are always prime targets for stuff like this because of the repeating strucures. I have nothing against electo-classical music, I've done it myself quite a few times. There is however nothing creative or interesting outside of the texture of the instruments used. If one just dumps piano and canned SKRILMIX sound pack III onto a track it is pretty much short bus click bait.

My opinion, yours may differ. It is what it is.

8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I think you could do Moonlight as, say, acid jazz and it could be terrific.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

Sorry. No, not sorry.

At first: that dude comments on his own genius in his video? I thought public masturbating is prohibited. Secondly this all is musically average perfomance in regards of classical music. To throw some mediocre and brainless drum loops under that uninspired wanking is idiotic. So... that dude is out.

My todo-list gets another item: have a close look at everything that for the uneducated is considered a "classical hit"... and where the hell did my drum'n'bass-loop CD go...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

In 1981 a multi-label record (LP) distributor named K-Tel released "Hooked on Classics" - Famous Classical music pieces put to disco.... K-Tel were the equivalent of a Walmart/Target record label who released compilations of existing hits like "20 greatest Pop songs of...." - Nobody called them a genius, nobody.
    It had most of the famous classical composers of prior centuries put to sequenced disco beats the then equivalent of electronic music. Use Google if you wish. This is nothing that has not been done before in concept and sad to say, in a multitude of ways, not as well. With today's technology, theoretically, it should be a LOT better and it isn't.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. nism

nism Ultrasonic

Not really. I think classical music cannot compete with electronic music and should evolve somehow.

12. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

Basically the musical equivalent of pic related.

fdsfdsds.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. nism

nism Ultrasonic

In my opinion, the result is terrific. I cannot say better, just quote Binary Ruffian (one of the YT video commenters): "It’s not about impressing everyone, it’s about trying something new and different. You are paving the way for others to do the same, that would have otherwise been more reluctant. You’re also helping classical music be heard by a bigger audience, well done."
    I agree with it. Classical music loses its audience, and this video is a great example of how to do it right. I guess, there are 10000+1 examples of Moonlight Sonata with not much success, but this video got noticed, and it's cool.

14. clone

clone Audiosexual

I clearly disagree. Classical music does not need a "Cheap Gimmick"; which is all this ever amounts to. It is more like ordering the lobster at Mar-a-Lago.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I dig genres crossovers but in this case the sound of the piano doesn't mix well to me with the EDM stuff in the laptop. For my taste anyways.
    Probably with a piano synth or just another mixing I'd like it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

Except this isn't different and it's certainly not new. Instead of "paving the road for others to do the same" you're just reinforcing their pre-existing prejudices (if not creating new ones) against doing something like this. Which is absolutely a good thing in this case (and many, many others more often than not when it comes to music)
    As for "helping classical music be heard by a bigger audience" - that's the height of pompousness right there. Classical music has always been - is - and always will be much bigger than Dubstep. And as for getting Dubstep fans into Classical music - maybe there's a reason they weren't into it before. What this really shows is that 1: genres don't need to be for everyone 2: not everyone needs to be into everything 3: don't mix genres just 'cause you can. Especially wildly different ones.

As for why it got popular instead of Moonlight Sonata cover #5345832: literally just the YouTube algorithm. And a little "external" help if you catch my drift :) (a channel with barely 1 million subs getting nearly 7 million views in a little over a month and half? Hmmm :) )

Not to mention, the backing track seems to have been made by a kid. Check the first comment.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

I donno I'm undecided..
    Yawn, Moan, Fart.. or would it be exaggerating? :dunno:

18. Dblurgh

Dblurgh Ultrasonic

"Trying something new and different". Just because something is new and different doesn't mean it's worth pursuing. You know why this is new and different? Because anyone with even a spec of taste simply wouldn't have thought to do something this horrible before. This is literally just piano on top of a shitty dubstep drums #52 sample pack. It doesn't gel, it's not good, there's no attempt at making an actual piece of music that stands on its own, it's literally just a couple of repeated bars of broken moonlight sonata chords over the most basic and low effort beat, presumably because this person downloaded Logic (or Garagaband i have to assume) just for this idea.
    I can record myself taking a shit and it would be new and different (Okay, don't quote me on that) yet it wouldn't be worth anyone's time.
    Secondly, "Helping classical music be heard by a bigger audience"? Is this supposed to be a joke? Have you seen how much viewership the International Chopin Competition attracted? Just because you don't hear classical music on mainstream radio stations doesn't mean it doesn't already have a following. And the following is tremendous. Classical music is big. Classical music performances are big.
    You know, I don't believe even the dude who performed this believes in this bullshit. He just thought it would probably be "epic" to subvert the expectatons of a bunch of zoomers who he probably assumed wouldn't be that interested in a regular classical music performance (Pro tip, i'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it) so he conceived this talent show worthy dumb performance in the hopes it would turn some heads. It stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of what people of a certain group might find interesting. That's why I likened it to that Steve Buscemi "Hey there fellow kids" scene. He thought he would fit in by doing something that "the young ones probably think is hip" thinking that they wouldn't accept a genuine appearance, but in trying to "fit in" and appealing to what can only be described as a fundamental misunderstanding of people's preferences he makes himself look like an out of touch clown.
    Also your comment about how classical music needs to evolve just shows that you're probably on a similar level as him. Why does music that has already been composed and warrants a certain interpretation need to evolve? Would you also like it if In The Court Of The Crimson King was rereleased but they used Trap beats instead of an acoustic drum kit just because that's "proper" for the current age?
    Plenty of new classical music is being composed even today, and it makes use of LOT of articulations on strings and other instruments that were basically unheard of back in the Baroque or Romantic era. Classical music, and music as a whole is steadily evolving. You don't need to bastardize Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata to be inventive.

No, really, this is the most disgusting YouTube video I've seen in ages. It can't be overstated how much I detest this.
    And the fact that there are people out there whose reaction to it is anything other than their toenails curling makes me sigh in disappointment. I'm absolutely disgusted.

I know this comment might be very harsh and might even border on personal insult, but I needed to get it out of my system, no matter the consequences.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. nism

nism Ultrasonic

It's funny. It's like hearing Adorno's voice. "Morality in art", and "cheap music" (talking about Adorno's Critique of Stravinsky). Well done!
    Classical music has not always been here. A shaman with a tambourine was here at least 10k years ago. (And dance music or electronic dance music can be seen as a personification of that shaman with a tambourine. Will classical music survive the next 10k years? Who knows?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  20. Xeraser

Xeraser Producer

"Classical music has not always been here" 16th century give or take, about as old as the instruments used in said works. Take an educated guess about how the two are related.

"A shaman with a tambourine was here at least 10k years ago." Electricity as we know it hasn't always been here. Lightning, however..

I find the shaman example and the whole "personification" thing to be quite puzzling. I could make a joke about Redditors and their beloved Volca Drums/Pocket Operators but let's not go there, it's too depressing. Point is, rhythm alone music.

"Will classical music survive the next 10k years? Who knows?"

It survived five centuries so far.

21. Amore_de_la_Vida

Amore_de_la_Vida Platinum Record

There is far, far more creative ways of doing music crossovers, some examples:

Debussy, with Vanessa Wagner (great classical pianist) and the electronic producer / composer Molecule:

Erik Satie, also with Vanessa Wagner, but this time with the great Murcof:

OK, you absolutely want Beethoven Moonlight Sonata? Hear this, epic!

All of these are far better and creative than this stupid "boom boom" I heard in the first video!

When you dunno how to produce good EDM, you hire a real and talented DJ or electronic producer, you don't do it yourself!

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List