Beats by Dr. Dre headphones

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by dr.evil, May 30, 2014.

1. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I paid an Apple product...once.
    It was an iPad 1 and after some months, it couldn't be updated to last iOS, and so new apps couldn't run on it.
    I sold it and never wanted to buy anything again from Apple.

I made an hackintosh. I erased the OSX partition two months after creating it :rofl:
    Back to Windows 7.

Yes, i know, i'm "uncool" :wink: (nice album from bumblefoot)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYfxJk302w

2. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

Oh stop hatin people. Beats are not that bad. I bet if they were Beats By Scott Stortch and sounded the exact same you wouldn't have a big a problem with them. Most people don't buy them because of the sound quality but to support Dr. Dre as he has brought us some of the greatest latest hiphop lyricist of the decade and past decades. IE: You probably know him for signing snoop but he also signed Eminem and Kendrick Lamar before they got big. Alot of people grew up on Dre as I did and owe him alot for setting the bar so high in the rap game so people pay him homage by buying his cans. Not only that but the dude is a marketing genius! That's another reason why they blew up so well. To explain just how well he marketed them would take up a few pages! Of course he had help but he is the master and chief of that brand and boy did he sail the shit out of that ship.

Don't get me wrong. I will take my dennons or even my m50s any day over some Beats but I respect Dre and give him props for marketing them like a G. I mean cmon son, the dude is a billionaire now. One of 9 black billionaires in the USA. He's doin something right rather you want to admit it is not.

3. His cans suck and just because he is a black billionaire selling shitty expensive cans is no good reason to respect him. If Scott Storch sold shitty headphones they would still be shitty headphones. Supporting someone by buying their crap is nonsense. But yes, he is a marketing genius for selling so many overpriced and useless gadgets.

4. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

We have nothing against Dre personally, why do you point it out like that?
    And what do you mean by "Beats by Scott Storch"? That we are racist or something?
    We have nothing against "creator" as a personal annoyance or something, we just don't like his products. He could've been even fuck*n QUEEN cuz' we still wouldn't give a fuck
    as long as the products don't deliver the quality that you pay for. And I know Dre is a great artist/producer/whatever, but this doesn't have to obey us to purchase something overpriced which doesn't justify the price you pay. Ok, maybe they're not that worse, but they also can't justify the money you spent on them. What we should do now? To act like fan-boy zombies just because Dre was a legend? We can "support" him by buying his stuff, but for the music sake, DO NOT SET A HUGE PRICE TAG IF THAT PARTICULAR PRODUCT DOESN'T EVEN WORTH IT!

EDIT: If he was a legend, you want us to support him by buying his crap as a RESPECT manner, but DOES HE RESPECT HIS FANS with sucha price tags? Oh'... wait, maybe he thought he have only rich fans, right? Give me a break...

5. copylefter

copylefter Producer

6. geraldthegenius

Lol so his cans are complete shit Ay? Strong words for a 2billion dollar headphone brand. You're wild man. Dre could've sold diapers and every baby would be sporting a pair. What I'm sayin is most people by Beats to buy a product of Dre. They are more so buying Dre's head gear than headphones. Not only that but a low price would depreciate the value as everyone wants what most can't have. Forbidden fruit etc.. I know it sounds nuts, welcome to 2014. That was Dre's main marketing ploy. To sale headphones like shoes. To make buying headphones more like buying clothing appeal. The drivers are by no means top notch but the product looks and feels well crafted. This is why you see sports players and whatnot wear them. It's like wearing the latest shoes or shades. Ya feel me? That's why they are so highly priced. It's more fashion than audio that you are buying into. Member when they first came out with those worn out jeans with holes in them for hundreds of dollars? Same thing here. Only the holes are bad audio quality haha.

7. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

No we understand, Dre exploited the fact that people on this planet are stupid as shit and made off with their money.

8. geraldthegenius

Why do you think apple bought them out. Apple is the King of selling overly priced products. They are so good people line up for days camped out in tents just to buy a new iPhone with virtually no new features except for a new retina display.

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I don't know whether to be angry about it or simply weep for the sheeple of this planet. What can I say? I feel completely disconnected from the human race.

10. So, now another good reason not to opt for aPPLE.

11. Fandolin

Fandolin Newbie

Wow, this debate went all over the place =)

I've heard a lot of things about Beats. I've come to the consensus that they are above average, but only just, and offer nothing to audiophiles. However, to popular culture and image, they offer a lot. Dr. Dre didn't exploit anyone or try to compete with audiophile grade headphones like Sennheiser or Bose. He created a market segment that didn't exist, and shaped modern culture. That's why it's so successful, and is genius in its own way.

Apple has had a lot of plays like that in its playbook. However, I doubt Apple cares one bit about owning those headphones :) Apple bought Beats for the online music streaming service, Beats Music. If you're interesting in the business side of things, here's a nice read:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2014/05/29/beats-music-acquisition-gives-apple-a-way-out-of-the-itunes-and-app-store-traps/

12. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Well those are some expensive headphones considering they aren't competing with audiophile quality. You can call it creating a new market segment, I call it exploiting the stupidity of humans.

13. copylefter

copylefter Producer

So also those who sell those 6hrs-online-trading-course-make-10000-in-20-minutes for just 1999$ are genius?

Or maybe they're just
    *yes*
    :mates: