Beatport freezes payments to labels – and gives artists just 5% of streaming money

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by davea, Aug 5, 2015.

1. davea

davea Platinum Record

more infos

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. WolwerineBlues

WolwerineBlues Platinum Record

Fuk beatport those good for nothing leechers!:dont::trolls:

4. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Isn't that the place where the "knowns" steal from the "unknowns"?

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

since Beatport was acquired be the a-hole, the services goes downhill. i will never use it again.

6. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

i used to love beatport, but i used to hate those "not available in you region" problems... so i went elsewhere (a long time ago)

7. ArticStorm

haha now comes the joke: i released a remix on a small label sometimes ago, i cant even buy, because its not available in my region! i will use soundcloud and for selling bandcamp.

8. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

It's time for music-vending sites that are set up at least as though they are established and run by musicians for musicians, not by and for administrators, developers, techie carpetbaggers and music-industry wolves in sheeps' clothing. I myself am trying to figure out how to sell everything via my own website, by personal transaction with PayPal and Bitcoin, while using vendor sites to post compilations and sampler medleys as iceberg's-tip examples of my work/wares.

Online venues keep changing their functional design, adding unnecessary or annoying new features, trying to charge extra for "pro" features which should be standard – or lose payments, "under-report" revenues, experience too many "glitches" in their systems to be trustworthy, or not pay-out when they change ownership, undergo restructuring, or go out of business. Everything these companies/venues do is primarily for their own benefit; musicians are just grist for their money-mills. There should be a neutral and uncomplicated "marketplace" site which charges a minimal cut and pays directly, and doesn't have distractive or opportunistic tiered service nor a development team that feels it has to "look busy."

For example, Bandcamp had seemed almost ideal, at first, but then it suddenly raised their percentage, started adding "pro" features, introduced "curated" artist promotions, added "social" features, changed the functional design of the pages, introduced a "subscription" service – and now is witholding payments from sales for 24 hours, destroying that sense of direct fiscal connection with customers (a/k/a "fans"), and providing a perfect cover for "lost" transactions, should someone at Bandcamp be less than honest. None of the new (unpaid) features introduced on Bandcamp in the past couple years has benefited me as a musician/producer, and they distract from why I have my music for sale there – because it's all about Bandcamp now.

As I'd said, "for example." The Beatport debacle should be a wake-up call.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. davea

davea Platinum Record

Definitely 200% agree with you stevitch ! We need something simple, straight to the point and not with new add ons &/or pro feature .
    The best example today is Ello, IMHO this new social network understood it all.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. aussie

aussie Member

I don't see any connection between royalty payments and Ello social media. Sorry, davea, I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand the connection.

11. davea

davea Platinum Record

Hehe, no prob aussie. I 'm agree with you somehow. I took Ello as example here to illustrate my agree with stevitch purpose in his/her last post, about the changes of Bandcamp ( if you check the quoted post iv'e take ) from simple "thing" to becoming something more complex by addons, pro features, and then being less straight to the point, less minimal as it was, quiet competitive . So finally all these new features gives the ability to raised their percentage. All these platform are becoming after a while,so enormous than their lost their first glance /first goal.
    So then, here we are the collateral damages we can encounter at Beatport, Soundcloud etc…

12. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

But why so many musicians give away their creations to bloody boring bureaucrats?
    Those manipulators try to get their hands even on alternative channels! :yawn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. coconut8

coconut8 Kapellmeister

The complete music scene is pretty f... up, the music creators are treated as slaves, you make music and you're supposed to give it free. There was a time when you bought an album you had art works, info about artists involved in creating music and it was really exciting going to shop and hold it for the first time. Now music has no value at all and the industry is destroying this way the artist. How we're supposed to make music (engage our deep inside emotions), giving it for free and pay the bills??? Maybe live from air....

14. Loop Threat

Loop Threat Ultrasonic

THE TAKE OVER - seems now that 'powers that be' are taking over even more so now...my brother just told me that for cashing in his 401K they TAX docked him 20%...last time he did that it was only 10%...the powers are getting desperate and silently giving birth to a revolution.

15. It has always been this way since I can rèmember. The false assumption that democracy ensures freedom is now I believe so painfully clear. The vast majority of thosè elected are working for the money and the money is not looking out for the individual in any way shape or form. People seem to only be fuel for money's fire of fury and are burned in the lust of desire for.more. I look at this theme from the viewpoint of a US citizen, other's experience.might differ. When the companies that benefit from enacted.legislation actually write the laws that are ratified, the end is near for.life as we know it. Poison in the air, poison in the water and the food thatwe eat, naysaying the science of global warming and extintions, these seem to me good reason to boycott the system. It really makes me sad for future generations.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. davea

davea Platinum Record

People always follow the rules, because being in this kind of platform is the rule to be exposed in many ways(like lots of people beleive). People don't have time, energy, patience etc, to do it themselves. So the market is openfor this guys who create, invest on a first brilliant idea to help but already perverted in something to be addictive, indispensable. And make big money.

Everything is not enough.

17. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

i imagine beatport must work great for avichees and friends, and all the big top10 labels. those, for sure, will get 100% of the cash.
    but if 95% of the remaining artists don't get paid, ohhh, not a problem, they can wait.

i love this fucking internet--> free access to everybody, but when its about some content, there are restrictions all over.
    but strangely, there are no boundaries, restrictions, etc , when it's about the fucking annoying ads: they go everywhere, follow use everywhere, tablets, phones, desktops, no matter the web browsers we use, fiber lines, 25mb, or 256kb, day or night,
    those miserable ads will always be displayed, specially on tablets, where the browsers can't stop popups, ads, etc.

i have never had a "this ad couldn't be displayed because of your country"..

18. ArticStorm

because they want to get signed, well i think its more important to just release the music and find those sould which appreciated instead of labels buying their own shit to climb the beatport charts. :deep_facepalm:

because there are global ad networks and you can rent local or global ad space.

the solution is adblock+ or whatever and the other stuff you can get away with ghostery and noscript. :knock: