Beatmaking Is A Legitimate Artform

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Nov 19, 2017.

1. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

Ummm, OK, Nicki is talking about gang banging 50 dudes, lubing up her ass etc., good quality childrens muzac.
    I can do a mean Twinkle Little Star with my 808 rattling the neighborhood...

2. noize2sound

noize2sound Kapellmeister

3. ICWC

ICWC Guest

As long as it doesn't get in the way of your attainment of prowess in craftsmanship, it's OK. Open up all sorts of possibilities for making your tool palette more variegated.:wink:

P.png

4. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

yes it is an artform...... much like collages of dog poo and smearing paint with your testicles as brush.....very arty but it aint music

5. G String

G String Rock Star

Hey, you just gave me a great idea........

6. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

the problem with a lot of pages in a thread is sometimes a slo-mo like me misses the beat... That is some crazy rhythm, mix and everything.. Did soundcloud give you a special account to upload 32bit or something?? Where's that youtube tutorial???

7. E.T.F

E.T.F Producer

8. E.T.F

E.T.F Producer

Best Answer
    Some people like cheesy music.
    There is lots of this made with "real" instruments by "professionals"
    There is lots of this made with "computers" by "professionals"
    And amateurs.
    Some things are technically and musically "right" but booooooring e.g rock ballads - consonance,harmonics,scales
    (my opinion, don't get upset)
    Some things are technically and musically "wrong " but it works e.g glitch - roughness, dissonance, timing
    (it's all about YOUR perception)
    To sum up, put the musical elitism away if you have no useful advice on notes, chords, structure etc to offer, be supportive of all art as our tastes are different, try to see why others might like things that you don't and you might learn how to make better music which might not make you money from selling it for adverts but might make people's lives better for a few minutes.
    No real instruments were harmed during this production. PM me with any feedback if you like my stuff or have constructive criticism.
    post here to let me know if my music is legitimate "art" or "music" and i will adjust according to your own personal taste.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

You folks forget that classical music composers also "sample" each other's work! I'm reading at the moment about how James Horner (composer of The Titanic score) borrowed from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky and Romeo and Juliet for his Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock scores; how he "sampled" Wolfen for bits of the Aliens theme music. Willow, Field of Dreams and Our Town all sample extensively from Wagner, Schumann and Copland.

STOP FRONTING!

The Beatles sampled Little Richard; Bob Dylan sampled American folk music; etc...

BEATMAKING IS A LEGITIMATE ARTFORM!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Yeah they call it "drumming".

11. black.afrika.zulu.x

You call this drumming?

Sucka!

12. No they didn't, not a one of them. It is a HUGE step from being influenced by another artist or composer and using software or another way to record parts of previously recorded or performed works. You obviously are just flappin' your gums, brother, you know the difference.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. blaqmatic

blaqmatic Platinum Record

1st, This is an age old debate which when you come around you still get the same truth. Beat making is a form of art. But, you will always have those, that thought that about Rap, rock, jazz at 1st. Kinda hard to believe that in this age we haven't learned from the history of our past genre's of music.

That being said, the track is ok. My real and only issue is the use of the "F" Bomb. I'm assuming that is why you haven't got one comment on your track on your Soundcloud page after a year.

Art has always been subjective to opinion. Doesn't give one the right to not call it Art.

Sampling is Sampling as well. And is different than being "Influenced" Aka Borrowing Bka Stealing from another Artist. It has been shamed but tolerated over the years. In the end all of it is the same to me. Just some want to water down the "borrowing" for their own sake.

So where would we be if we didn't learn from past musicians great work if we did neither. Now I am a musician that plays many instruments.
    And I come from the school that wishes all musicians played an instrument...but I have excepted the new ways of expressing art through "layering" of musical motif's.

Hey, all things change..."Nothing and no one goes unchanged." -Benard Ighner (George Benson)

Now after you finished reading what I said, make your day better and go listen to George Benson's version of "Everything must change"!

:wink:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  14. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Yes.

15. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

There is no line finer than that between art and garbage.

16. black.afrika.zulu.x

Let's hear your "art" then.

17. ICWC

ICWC Guest

Why did you choose Beatmaking? 1- You love it? or 2- It's much easier than other kinds? Or both?

Suppose you had a profound musical background, if so, did you choose Beatmaking as an alternative again?

Please be honest with yourself.:winker::bow:

18. @black.afrika.zulu.x ... what could you possibly dislike about my comment other than the fact that I'm calling you out for not explaining yourself...again...but rather just blurting out a statement that makes no sense and as well defies common sense and logic. "Flappin' your gums" is something my great-grandfather would say to me when I seemed to be talking just to hear my own voice, which is what he might very well say to you too as it seems apropos to this situation.

So, explain yourself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Speaking for myself -
    Because I see rhythm as the foundation of all other music, and in most music I hear, that foundation is weak or missing. Also, I have never bought into most of the assumptions baked into traditional Western European music theory, so A LOT of melody and harmony rules are understandable, but still seem arbitrary. At it's most basic definition, music is sonic events organized over time, so people need to understand and use time to make it work. And I seem to experience time differently than many others, so beatmaking can be a way to express that.

Sometimes. Sometimes it's an annoying compulsion and I just need to do it. I hear some sonic relationships in my head, and I need to realize them to hear and feel what they are like.

Like any form of music, it's as easy or difficult as you make it. Personally, I like to try way too hard, so if it's too easy it's not worth doing. But like any other kind of music, the more complex your beats are, the less people will have patience to listen and decode them. It's listeners who prefer easier music.

An alternative to what? Like I said, rhythm is the foundation of ALL music, so it has primacy rather than being an alternative. It's an alternative to not doing it, I guess.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. black.afrika.zulu.x

Because it's cool.

Software is for composing and arranging, right? Rather than deciphering strange, squiggly symbols on page and trying to play them, you play actual VST sounds and exceprts from other pieces of music--samples--mix them up together and make musical gumbo. How is using software to compose different from what Wolfgang did? How is James Horner interpolating motifs from other classical pieces into his film scores different from El-P sampling Beethoven here: