Beatmaking Is A Legitimate Artform

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Yea, some people think style comes in the form of pink pony memes while others gravitate more towards a "Tokyo train style". I dig the latter, but to each his own. :winker:

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

[​IMG]

So... This is quite the thread.

3. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

Everyone wants to fight me! :unsure:

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I come in peace

5. With a melon on your kitty head. One of my cats used to love to eat melon. She would have loved the concept. RIP Jessica.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. black.afrika.zulu.x

Cats eat melon? Where?

7. Are we having a popcorn fight...cool.

8. Jessica was a freak for cantalope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I'd hit the disagree button but that would be a negative. No more jessica bombs for me please...

10. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

My cat ate everything, even candy and chili, until cancer took it couple of months ago at the age of 18, RIP Misu

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

lol, sad that i feel the need to talk it down.. crazy wouldn't you think, me sitting on my comp cluelessly working while knowing what is happening, i probably wouldn't have... oh well, i'll poor one out for jessica tonight. they did some interesting things with my vpn character and an mp3s as well. I guess time will tell on this one....

12. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Nice work Jeff, I can feel an Eminem influence going on here. Have you tried doing vocals yourself?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. If musicians who espoused this applied it consistently, I could respect it as a valid perspective. But in my experience, the bias is transparent that rhythms are somehow finite - and thus recycled. But this is supposedly not true of melodic and harmonic structures.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  14. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

"Beatmaking" is the fast food music of today, little substance or deep thought, heaven on the perverted pallet and hell with the side effects. Music for preschool mentality...

15. Was that supposed to be a reply to my post? You didn't address anything I said there.

The notion that rhythmic work is somehow essentially thoughtless is completely reductive. I subscribe to Sturgeon's Law, that most of anything is going to be crap. Explain how work that isn't rhythm-based somehow gets a free pass, how pitches and chords equal "substance" - in such a way that isn't preaching to the converted. It seems to me that there is plenty of melodic and harmonic fast food out there also.

16. black.afrika.zulu.x

Last year, I took this and sampled it:

...and made this:

Surely, this is legitimate collage. No?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. voidSeeker

voidSeeker Kapellmeister

I was making a general statement. I've got nothing against rhythm, it's just that Beatmakers, that's all they've got with a few sampled licks thrown over the top that they didn't even play. A monkey could "write" that crap, problem is, the masses are so dumbed down mentally, they think it's a work of art but that's merely a reflection of OUR collective degeneration. That's why Nicki Minaj can suceed so wildly is this culture...

18. black.afrika.zulu.x

Nicki Minaj makes music for children...mind you, she's actually a gifted singer. And she can rhyme her ass off! Can you rhyme, sir? On beat? At the end of the day, she's just an advertising billboard...

19. eXACT_Beats_

eXACT_Beats_ Rock Star

I'm not jumping into the "Is sampling....etc." debate as I doubt my opinion will lend anything new to the conversation/debate. I will say that I, personally, rarely make a track soley from samples. I usually just use samples as a springboard for creativity, or, I build a track around a small snippet(s) or a specific vybe or tone, and then remove the sample and add something of my own in it's place. Most of the time I create beats by creating a track from scratch ("from scratch," unless laying down drum one-shots is now considered as deplorable and illegitimate as sampling,) usually with a Soul vybe, and then chopping it up (minus the drums,) so I can throw it on my 16 so as to make the actual melody of the song rhythmic even if the drums are absent. No comment is necessary since I'm not looking for vindication. :no:
    That being said, I don't really know what
    means seeing as how, since it's trap (more or less,) it doesn't sound as though it's been sampled.:dunno:
    As per the song, @black.afrika.zulu.x ,it could use something as it seems kind of flat sounding overall. I do like the fact there's some percussion in it other than just the drums and that it has some changes in it. I think that the heavier drums at 0:45 would sound better if they were more epic, or at least stood up front a bit more. I think that the whole thing needs some definition and the chants/shouts could go, but overall, though it's not my joint, it's not bad, it just needs some work....in my less-than-humble opinion. :yes:

20. I don't sample a lot myself. It's funny that so many complain about electronic music production being lazy formulaic pop stuff, because being an instrumental soloist on a computer can quickly get one (and one's listeners) into unfamiliar territory. Here's a track by somebody who just performs solo, using a sampler, live. My experience is that more people are open to making more demanding electronic music, then there are open to listening to it.