Beatmaking Is A Legitimate Artform

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Nov 19, 2017.

1. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

everything a human being does can be an artform under the right context
    the best beats i have ever heard are amazing art to me, just as the most amazing poetry or stand up comedy

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

@saltwater You're speaking about Joseph Beuys don't you? :yes:

3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Rule nr.11 "download 1TB of loops from AudioZ and make beatz"? I don't think so. :)

This is how an artist is made. Not by using the loops someone pre-recorded for you. I just chose Trent Reznor because I'm currently watching Youtube videos about NIN. The same applies to all the artists that I like.

Enjoy! :wink:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  4. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

5. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

Fam,do what YOU FEEL,
    At the end of the day,it's YOUR Music.If you enjoy doing it,others will connect and they won't care how it's done.
    Sample or don't,that's your choice.
    But please believe me and understand this,Hip Hop was Born from Sampling and it is the most influential genre of all time.

I'm not a fan of trap but i did listen for a few seconds,the track sounds a little muddy and distorted to me but i didn't hear it in it's entirety.But yo,Keep doing you.

Peace

6. saltwater

saltwater Guest

nah :D

7. mewoingtons

mewoingtons Producer

To each their own I guess. Different people give out criticism in different ways. But yeah I actually am genuinely interested in your success in the various industries you spoke about. I'm certainly not getting any success yet. And wouldn't say my music is too bad either.

8. robotboy

robotboy Producer

:)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  9. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

If I wasn't busy I'd be can't help to put Jay-z acapella on it. Thanks for the share.

P/S: Can you rap?

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah obviously sampling can give way to art. Many beats made when sampling was actually used a lot (because here I'm talking about sampling, not about construction kits crap), specially in hip hop of course but also in other genres, became legendary and are considered art.They are taught in college when you study music as breakthrough experiences that expanded the horizon of what can be done in that area. In the pictural art, it's the same. You can say about Andy Warhol (you know the guy behind the velvet underground) that you don't like his art, because it borrows and samples pictures of the popular culture, but saying that it ain't art, because he didn't created the original material but sampled it, is really dishonnest and bullcrap.
    Sampled music can be art, and not sampled music found in film and tv advertisement on the other hand can not be art.
    Usually it's not, it's crap that doesn't hold the standart of art, but hey...It depends how things are done. Art is about transcendance, making beautifull things that brings emotions, sometimes creativity to people who are exposed to it. It's not about how it's done, or was it made with a real guitar by a guy who studied music theory for two semesters. Thats a joke. You can be original through sampling, and you can make poor music, or arrangement that have already been heard a 1000 times and are boring and uncreative without sampling.
    All that is just technical aspect of things and it's not in any way what defines art, or the quality of the production.

11. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Personally.......and im not being horrid..

But its very very run of the mill as far as that style is concerened....

Not being nasty...

So Often ,Ths sorta thing gets put up.. .....And its always the damn same too

.Dnb/tekno/rock even/just not trappyesquestuff..

Or if it is>..make sure it KICKS!!

4 me.Trappy soundn stuff is programming for the lazy......"Not u nessecarily mate....just my feelings on the genre........sorry to be so cold mann"

12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

For me, he best definition so far. @Talmi

Quite the same discussion we have had many years ago. The question (because more and more software was illegally used) then was: Is software a work that is worth to be protected by copyright law. The common sense back then defined a software worth a protection as a work that has a certain quality and height of development capability, way beyond the normal coder was able to deliver.

This way, the answer as a legal definition may be:
    Yes, "Beatmaking Is A Legitimate Artform" if:
    The new work as a whole has an outstanding quality and is achievable only by people with an artistic capability way beyond the normal "sound-constructor" and is not mainly reduceable to the underlying work of other artists (samples, loops, MIDI, construction kits ...).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

$180k? A win in my book :\

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

BRO, who is using pre-recorded loops?!?

15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Your next bedroom pop star... "look ma, I made it myself!" [showing a DAW with 5 tracks with pre-recorded loops on them] :rofl:
    I came off misunderstood a bit, I think. I'm a sampler head myself and still own 6 hardware samplers. I was referring to using loops like that - copy/paste "technique" pretty much, not using loops as a source of sound/inspiration. You chop them up, mangle them in some way and that's alright IMO. I do use loads of drum-machine samples and make my own loops. Even chopping them up and mangling isn't really my thing.

Cheers! :wink:

16. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

No, not even close.
    Just because it's the hardest thing for you to do it's not art.

17. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Like always it depends: I saw a documentayry about the german rapper Jan Delay lately. The guitarist playing for him said "Jan is the most musical non-musician he knows". So even the rapper making music for 10 years or more, owns a lable, earns a lot of money with the music he composed himself, a real musician won't call him an artist.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

If you want to be legit, do what you do for the rest of your life, do it harder every time and make something people can relate to OR give the world something new to learn from. You're not going to be legit in Art for the number of plays, views and likes you have on social media. When you're not known for the skills and originality but rather for what you wear and how you look like and who you slept with, that's what we call a celebrity not an artist. peoples praise doesn't make you an artist — your outcome does.

What I don't understand is why would you want to start an endless argument when you're asking for a feedback on your work?
    And for goodness' sake, don't get offended by everything and next time post your WIP track in
    Our Music section for a better organization.

19. black.afrika.zulu.x

But why would you bring that up? It's as if you're implying that that's what I do. Why raise that complaint here?

20. black.afrika.zulu.x

Bruh, I'm not offended at all. The people have spoken. And I accept it.