Beat the system - Get Sonnox Oxford Inflator for free legally

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Valnar, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Skaunker

Skaunker Kapellmeister

Woa thanks for the plug, mate. I tested it quickly and sounded quite good, with its instant "loudness" augmentation effect.

And for the aliasing... just do not let your mind f*cked with it. It's up to you to mind it if you want to or not, the aliasing question must not be the origin of bad decision taking toward your mixes. And I think only experience and confidence in your mixing skills should drive those decisions, where most people fall short of "no-going" aliasing, because most people does not spend time thinking the question, and creating a parallel and useless debate, generating polarized reactions from a polarized state of view.

Aliasing is a digital signal pollution, causes ear fatigue, flattens the perception of the mix. It can of course be used aesthetically but should be avoided or greatly diminished in most cases of a mixing duty.

It is mostly your case today if you care a little about the quality of the plugins you choose to work with in 2022, because people are working behind the curtains to code stuff in a decent way. There is a great leap (and I think we're still inside it) of tech, code vision and first and foremost CPU power that accelerated the quality of dsp algos, making not so old stuff way more obsolete (UAD hype is part of it actually) than "expected" following the passage of time.

So yes if you're utilizing a tool more than eleven years old (which I'm referring to) yes you should definitely be careful because it alises like a beast.

It's not your problem if you don't hear it, but I hear it, and too much dist from it blurs the highs and makes it just feel sandy.

Even if you don't push it hard,
    Imagine on a 2-bus.
    Imagine on every track of a mix.

Of course the tool does not makes the craftsman, I don't know if this expression exists, but I hope you get my point.

2. madbuzzin

madbuzzin Platinum Record

TDR doesnt have a "saturation plugin" they add noise to an eq... oh boy!

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't consider this noise

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

This is where I first heard about it.

The comments include: I've done the null test ...and the plugins cancel each other out. This means RC Inflator is a perfect clone of Sonnox's Inflator.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  5. dia manu

dia manu Producer

cool wheres the aax version?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

We are all into aliasing. If not, everybody here would be using their given names and fotos...unless...holy shit..am I the only one not doing that?

Perhaps I sampled a wee bit too many wares:dunno:

I'd better go sleep it off.

7. VSKZ

VSKZ Producer

Very interesting! A YT channel that focuses just on stuff like that would be cool.

8. Skaunker

Skaunker Kapellmeister

I've always been tempted by this aliasing joke too... hahaha :bleh:

I tested the RCInflator against the 2007 Oxford Inflator I've got.
    They null around 50dB in peaks and roughly 70dB RMS. It is not a perfect null. But it's a very good job because it sounds practically the same.

There is something missing in the transients processing in the js version... I must admit it, I prefer the Oxford Version. More punchy and a tad more bright. Correlates with the residue signal after the cancelation.

And if one relies to this video, a 2019 version of the Inflator did absolutely not correct aliasing and sidebanding artifacts... so I guess AiR version only differs in bit architecture and visually.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Hi, @Skaunker . This is very interesting. It seems the Sonnox Inflator version from 2007 does not correspond to the current version.

I was involved in the cloning process. We used the current version of Inflator as the match. Beth and I took several hundred measurements that Saike needed for the reverse-engineering process. After each code change by Saike, I performed automated null tests between Inflator and RCInflator, testing every possible parameter variable (except band split). We repeated this in several steps until the difference between RCInflator and Inflator was well below -140dB (peak).

Edit: Typo corrected.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  10. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Molot/Molotok, VoS SlickEQ, SlickEQ Mastering, Kotelnikov and Limiter 6 all have different kinds of (very nice) saturation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Skaunker

Skaunker Kapellmeister

Oh hey @Sinus Well, that's so cool to have someone directly involved in the process to chat a little here !

My bad for having wrong conclusions though, I never used the "modern GUI" version of the Inflator.
    That's super news for matching it at more than 120dB god damnit ! This leads us to think, I seem to prefer a older version of the Inflator god damn...

I don't know how to upload audio clips here, I don't know either a fast and easy solution on the web.
    I would be glad to share my stoopid tests (those are just 707 samples but it already speaks) so I could illustrate the feeling I had by comparing the plugs and the confirmation of it when phase cancelling and boosting them.

Anyway, I hope you'll break through the "band split" mystery anyway :)

12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that your conclusion is wrong. :no:
    It is possible that there are differences between the various Sony/Sonnox versions. I could also imagine that Sonnox has used some tricks here.
    For example phase inversions of some harmonics or similar, which is more noticeable with dynamic full spectrum signals - like music - than with measurements with impulses, noise and sine sweeps. So it could be that we have missed something.
    However, I am not sure that this is really the case. I have not been able to detect any audible difference between Sonnox Inflator and RCInflator.

Just btw, the idea of the Inflator clone goes back to a work of Samuele Pizzi. His interpretation is also included in the ReaPack:
    It's called Loudener.

As for the band split:
    The implementation of the band split mode has been a bit quiet for a while. This may be due to the fact that we do not have a full version of the Inflator plugin available. No plugin -> no measuring -> no coding.
    So, if any of you would like to support the work on the RCInflator, have a full version of the plugin and are willing to invest some time in measurements and crossover matching, feel free to contact me via PM. :wink:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. borfd

borfd Noisemaker

Hey all, I ported the ReaJS script to a VST3 that runs on both OSX and Windows. You can get the Oxford Inflator VST3 clone for free here - https://rhythmresearch.com/#hot-air

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. amanamission

amanamission Ultrasonic

Are you kidding with all that checkout crap?

I mean, if it's free, and it's just a port of a copy, why do you need address and all that? Thanks anyway, I'll give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2022
  15. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Would love to try, but shopping system says "We are unable to calculate shipping rates for the selected items." for me when I try to checkout.

16. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

A little bit offtopic, but there's an audio editing software that comes with a small oxford plugin suite, right? I don't remember which one it is, does anyone remember?

17. amanamission

amanamission Ultrasonic

Did not work on High Sierra OS. Thanks anyway.

18. barfly

barfly Member

For those who are having problems downloading with the link....I'm overseas but I changed the country to US/Florida and it went through fine.

19. clone

clone Audiosexual

But you could still run the 32 bit dirty bird version of it if you really wanted.

20. amanamission

amanamission Ultrasonic

Can't run 32-bit anything, my DAWS are all up to date. Have spent way too much time trying.