Be careful of WinRAR!

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Willum, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Willum

Willum Rock Star

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. xsze

xsze Guest

is this only applies if one is downloading&extracting questionable compressed files from web? :mates:

I mostly deal with my own compressed files and official stuff of various products, should l worry about this too, really don't understand this tech talk in article at all :no:

4. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

"The issue is located in the text and icon function of the 'text to display in SFX' window module. ... means only exe/sfx on windows affected? :woot: shouldnt be that much ... on my side not a single file - and 99,68 % compressed using rar here

5. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Did the prat who discovered this notify WinRAR so they could provide a patch for the vulnerability before shouting it from the rooftops?:no:

6. Slider

Slider Producer

If I understand the stated issue correctly, any site, and there are a shitload of them, that offer warez, etc. as an .exe file whether just compiled .exe or compressed rar > sfx >exe, is a possible threat. I just move on & find it elsewhere, goes back to downloading from trusted site, don't ever remember seeing .exe's here....and if I did I wouldn't DL'd it from here either.

7. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Just to mention:
    You can extraxt a rar'd .exe (SFX) with WinRAR - without executing malicious code!