Batch Convert NCW to Wav from Multiple Libraries?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pcs901, Apr 20, 2020.

1. pcs901

pcs901 Member

So I want to convert a bunch of ncw files to wav, but they're just fragments of libraries. Some are originally from nkx files, some were always loose. Everything I have read so far appears to say the only way to convert formats is to load an nki patch and whatever samples that patch needs will be decompressed. Is there some way I can simply load a big folder full of ncw's from a lot of libraries at once and extract to wav? If this is not possible, what's the easiest way to convert ncw's that were previously extracted from nkx containers? Would I simply need the correct nki's in the same folder?

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There's one fellow user here who knows how to that. I don't remember it but he told how to easily create an instrument with many sample files.
    If you drag and drop directly into Kontakt it only keeps like 80 of them. I think you need to use the instrument mapper section, but like I said don't remember.

4. pcs901

pcs901 Member

Cool, I'll do some searching and see if I can find anything. It's good to know this is possible.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

When you find it share your findings please. I can't find the thread I commented.

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Quoted from a Kontakt user on some forum:
    But this is still not enough because he's assuming you have renamed all the samples to let Kontakt automap ("distribute") them. So it its the limit I mentioned (around 100 samples very roughly)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  7. pcs901

pcs901 Member

If the samples were not named correctly, and my end goal is not to keep them in Kontakt anyway but to load them on an external hardware device, would it still work, or is some sort of mapping required before it will save? If it will, I could just select 100 ncw files at a time, then save and de-compress. Hopefully a max of 100 is a safe amount in that it will actually do 100 samples and not, say, 90. I want to make sure they are all converted.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

We should discard the renaming, shouldn't we? Totally overkill for fragmented bunch of samples you just want to convert to wav.
    Don't remember the number, but say the max samples with the easy method are 80. If you're converting until a few hundred it's not so bad, you create 3,4 6 instruments and then convert the samples. With a good use of the file explorer you can drag in batches of 80. And if they got repeated they would be overwritten, so stay on the cautious side.

On the other hand, if you have thousands it'd be a major pain in the ass.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  9. pcs901

pcs901 Member

Good, that's what I thought re: renaming; just had to double check.

As far as the numbers it's probably somewhere in the middle of those two. I suppose I could divide the samples into folders of 80 before even going to Kontakt to make sure they're all even.

Some other thoughts, trying to see what else I can do to simplify as a friend is doing this for me and I want to make it as easy as possible for him to get going.

A lot of these are coming from .nkx's originally that I will extract with InNKX. Let's say I have a drum kit library and I only want the overhead mics. If I extract the nkx files, delete all the extra samples (direct, room, etc) and send him a folder with all the ncw's and the nki file, would it work correctly like that? Normally this library would be looking for an nkx so that is why I am unsure. If the nki also references the other mic sets, would it not de-compress correctly since samples are missing?

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I do that a lot, since my Pc is slow and has only 8Gigs of RAM. Slimming down Kontakt libraries.

Yeah, you can do it. You just have to resave the instruments because now they don't know where the samples are. The optimal thing would be to disable the mics not used and save the instruments before deleting samples. That's not always possible but many libs ofer that possibility. Mixer section and stuff.

Oh, and when you resave you've to be careful because it takes some time and it probably report missing samples. Be careful because on large libs sometimes it takes time for Kontakt to found them. When you are sure the only missing are the mics you don't want then click "skip missing samples".