Bassless sound on Windows 10

Discussion in 'PC' started by altair033, Mar 27, 2020.

1. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Hi guys, I decided to spend my time this quarentine at my gf's home. She has a dell laptop with better proccesor than mine, problem is when I listen to audio directly in the Windows applications whether it is Chrome, the music player or videogames, the sound is filtered as with poor quality, no bass and no defined highs, however when I use the ASIO drivers in my DAW either Realtek ASIO or the one from FL Studio, the sound comes out as it should be, with full spectrum.
    I checked there was no equalizer in the windows sound options and I updated the drivers but it remains the same. What do you think is the problem?

The laptop has Windows 10 Pro
    and Realtek Audio 6.0.1.8642

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. jhagen

jhagen Platinum Record

If you put the speaker in a large metal pot you can get more bass.
    For a true stereo sound pots should be equal size.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

try: rightklick on speakersymbol, sound adjustment, system preferences(on the upper right side)
    rightklick on your speaker, properties, then ENHANCEMENTS

5. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

I turned off all the enhancements, with or whithout them it sounds the same :/

6. Derwisch_64

Derwisch_64 Ultrasonic

What kind of monitors have you got and why, in all that is universal knowledge, don´t you use an external interface?

7. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

8. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

I have a pair of yamaha HS80m and a focusrite scarlett in my main studio, i am not in my country so i'm using a pair of sony headphones, no interface either here. I'm currently making music on this laptop, normally in FL Studio and Ableton when i choose ASIO drivers the sound is clear without any artifacts, problem begins when i close the DAWs and i want to listen some music on chrome, spotify or any other program. It seems like main MME/DirectX sound from windows is causing the problem since if i use it on FL Studio or Live besides ASIO, the sound is really crappy and filtered

9. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

10. Talula

Talula Rock Star

11. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

You don't mention Which Dell laptop model. In the first instance i'd search to see if other users of this laptop had similar issues... For example, perhaps the default setting for the mme windows setting for that sound chip is set to 32KHz, whereas Ableton/FL are switching it over to a high sample rate, say 48KHz when they're being run...?

12. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Such a good feature for monitoring mids and highs though!

13. AudioIndeed

AudioIndeed Newbie

You might also wan to check that "Spacial Sound" is off. Right click on your sound icon in the tray to check. If on, this could sound strange, if enabled.

14. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I had same issue long time ago. I don't know what exactly I did to fix it (changed drivers or maybe completely formatted my laptop) but I remember that it was driver related issue.

15. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

16. Lemmy

Lemmy Audiosexual

did it work?

17. shredonA7

shredonA7 Newbie

SOUND 4png.png sound png.png united error msg.jpg

18. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Not. Op was directly answering @Derwisch_64 's question of why was he not using an interface.
    Chill out.

19. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

Hi, sorry for the late response, i tried these drivers but the music sounds the same outside the DAWs, like it is inside a can. I tried everything, I'm working right now with the realtek asio driver and it sounds great in FL Studio, clean sound without any artifact and weird filters. Somehow Windows has to be filtering the audio signal of direct sound .

Since w10 default sound driver is direct sound, most apps (like chrome, windows media player, games, etc) sound really crappy since these don't use ASIO drivers, last option i could try would be reinstalling windows 10, but i dont really want to do that :/

20. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

I also set the exclusive option OFF but nothing happened. It tried all the default formats available, spatial sound is off of course upload_2020-4-21_13-46-58.png

21. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

they are excellent for mids and highs, you are right. For subs and low frecuencies they lack a little bit