Bass players are missing out......

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by dragonhill, Mar 18, 2018.

1. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

She tracked the guitar and main vocal together, then added two more harmony vocal tracks.
    Only EQ on the center vocal and a little verb. The panned vocals are completely dry.

2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

@dragonhill

The coming Audiosex album or one of them has both @Olymoon and myself I think doing our own tracks. Do not quote me on that which is why I tagged Oly.

I cannot speak for Oly because I have not asked him if he has done one for the CD which I hope he has, but I have submitted one track that might make the grade perhaps :)
    Cheers

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get on time for this album... So there will be no track from me.

4. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

No takers on this simple song that needs a bass part?

Maybe it's the few mistakes on guitar or the tuning........
    60 BPM
    A = 432

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I cant listen to the track. For some reason, the browser I'm using (Palemoon) dont let me listen nor download the file, I tried with chrome but it ask me to install flash.. If you could send it into a rar file, I could listen to it.

6. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

i believe it due to Zippyshare using Flash, but here the link nonetheless
    Code:
    http://www95.zippyshare.com/v/Maux3gUF/file.html

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thanks. Here is too late for me to listen. Tomorrow ...

8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

9. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

@dragonhill @Olymoon
    Ok a couple of things... the 60bpm lineup in DAW is easy peezy.
    The tuning is a bit of a problem. The 432 , with 432 supposedly being the frequency that is agreeable with most people should not be an issue..... But I did a pitch analysis. It is however an issue because the lady singer who by the way is really good ,is in tune. Your guitar however is random. The playing is acceptable..
    Here is a screenshot.
    My bass gets closer to it when it is at 431 except when some notes are closer to 440. I heard the key immediately even though lower. This not hard and it can be whatever you want.. straight, Palladino style, dub/reggae style so on and so forth. It's a nice straight ahead structure...
    While I normally would not recommend doing this, if you are only going to send a 2-track, it would have been better to hard pan the vocals left and guitar right - OR - pitch correct the guitar which I think might be next to impossible. . I could at least play in tune with the vocal and you could redo the guitar later. The Em/F#m/Bm/ with the extra D is no biggie but send it again with a hard pan please? Oly I think will tell you much the same thing when he listens to it.

GUITAR Screenshot - It's fine to be a little out, but as you can see some are WAY out and I set 440 to analyse the distance, to ensure that there was some consistent reference as to how far out, when the bass tuned at 432 still was out of tune slightly with the guitar[my ears are reasonable]..... some are right bang on 440 which should be based on your 432 setting? = NONE

So some notes are flat, some on it and some sharp when the bass is in tune.
    upload_2018-3-23_23-0-47.png

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2018
  10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

@dragonhill
    As you can see I can tune to many common algorithms in existence and I tried many with no joy.

upload_2018-3-23_23-24-40.png

11. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Thanks for the analysis.
    That was my daughter tracking the guitar and singing the lead simultaneously. We just tuned to 432.
    The second chord, although out of tune is F# major and not F#m.

Did you see the stems?

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

@dragonhill
    No to the stems.
    Your daughter has a really good voice and time sense, based on this.
    Is there much spill into the voice of the guitar?
    If not please send me hard pan of both if you wish.

13. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

stems
    http://www85.zippyshare.com/v/xSNJ9EVm/file.html
    there is very little guitar bleed into the vocal track.
    The intention was to replace the guitar later. She is well aware she needs to practice a little more on the guitar.
    Thanks again for your time.

To anyone downloading the stems, my daughter doesn't feel like she ' owns ' any music. Please feel free to use them in anyway and upload them anywhere.

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I agree that your daughter have a great voice..
    Now that BassDude is on it, I can tell you are in the right connection. He is an great bassist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

the quick ruff @BaSsDuDe sent this morning ...... wow :woot:

16. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

@dragonhill

Your daughter does own it unless she has stolen it. Spotify and other online streamers that take 99% of what the artists do without paying for anything other than the online costs to stream it, deserve not one penny more, So make sure if your daughter is not a member of ASCAP she becomes one. There is an online facility when she writes a song to pre-copyright it, which can be edited later to add anyone she feels worthy of getting co-authoring credits for publishing.

But PLEASE, the Spotify and others already get money for something they never paid for or contributed one cent to already, do not give them any avenue to steal anything else.
    Cheers
    :)

17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

As of now, she is of the mindset that ' if someone wants to steal my shit? Let 'em ! I have plenty more '.

20. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Maybe he is speaking of the bass sound and we have it all wrong? I do not know. Maybe we wait until until he replies. However in saying that, any good bass player can tune 5 string or 6 string like a Bosendorfer piano with a low F#, so the tuning then becomes:
    F#,B,E,A,D,G
    - But you must have a good bass that can handle the massive tension drop and stay in tune as well as a good playing technique that won't play the strings too hard, when tuned that low.

Jerzy Drozd makes a custom 13 string bass that contain the full range of a Bosendorfer 960 for a "starting price" I believe of around EU$13,000 with the low F# pre-tensioned correctly.