Bass players are missing out......

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by dragonhill, Mar 18, 2018.

1. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

over on the guitar section @spyfx has asked for guitar players and bass players to help him.
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/to-all-guitar-bass-players-please-help.33977/

here's is my first attempt with a cheap Ibanez Gio Soundgear 4 string using the Fredman cab mic'ing technique with two 57s at extreme low amp volumes due to apartment living.
    Having a dark and bright mic can eliminate the need to reach for an EQ......sometimes.
    https://clyp.it/cp4b440q

Maybe the Guitar and Bass sections should be combined? So few of us.....most guitar players dabble in bass and vice versa?

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Well, they are quiet different instruments. Personally I prefer separated, so it's easier to find threads that fit what your looking for.

4. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

only to a bass player or guitar player.

With 7 string basses and 8 string guitars etc., to a typical producer it's an annoying bunch of instruments that constantly goes out of tune.

I've been working on a way to record quietly in a small apartment closet with an inexpensive yet high quality EQ in the fx loop for tonal variation, which seems to work on both guitar and bass.
    As briefly described above, using a cheap Peavey guitar tube amp mic'ed up Fredman style with two 57s, I believe I came up with a decent sound? My cab is a Mesa Thiele 1 x12" with an EV Force speaker which originated as Electro Voice's failed subwoofer TL806.

If this was audio only, how many people could guess the instrumentation?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2018
  5. Lasher

Lasher Noisemaker

If you want to see some cutting edge bass playing, check out Michael Manring. He plays for Windham Hill records and others. The guy can make the bass sound incredible. Bass players are not missing out.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Welcome to the forum.
    The whole point was to play a little bass on a simple progression over on the guitar section.
    So I assume you saw the thread but chose to ignore it?

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Not all of them get out of tune so easily. I got a Warwick Thumb 5, believe me, this one does not move.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

All right....... how about an outdoor gig during a sunset? :)

9. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

shouldn't the original thread be posted in collabs ? or was it already ? :)

10. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I've tried to find this guy playing *bass* in this video and I couldn't find it. He does like to talk a lot in a kinda pretencious way and make cool moves for [his?] kids to remember... create some kind of a "holy" aura about him, also use a MIDI adapter to trigger sounds with a MIDI instrument. That's why I find it funny. You want some really masterful "down to earth" bass playing? Here it is:

Funny, his initials are also M.M. :) But this is how you play the freaking bass. No talking crap, just playing the bass like a bad mofo he is! :wink:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

he's using an ebow.. ain't that cheating a bit?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Totally agreed. I have two 5 string basses a Yamaha BBNE2 with a low B and a Shuker signature with a high C.
    I actually have to play solidly with those in extreme temperature environments for hours and pull, bend, slap, whack and do everything that might stretch them for it to go out of tune. That will happen with any bass, but once the strings are stretched properly they do not go out of tune easily. :)

P.S - A great bass without fail comes with great machine heads and a great stable tuning mechanism. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Have you seen a Warwick Thumb in real?
    The neck is a baseball bat made from the finest woods.
    Anyway, you say your a producer, so in the studio this bass, and most high end basses dont move.
    In live situation, it's not such a problem if they do move a little.
    Imperfection is part of art.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Lets also not forget that a bass player that has played a lot has good ears even if it does go slightly out of tune and can hear if it is sharp or flat and tune while they are playing. This is because if it's a good bass the tuning variation is only small. If it was a semi-tone then either the bass has crappy machine heads and workmanship or the strings were never stretched properly when they were changed. :)

15. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

@Olymoon @BaSsDuDe so, when do we get to hear those perfect never-goes-out-of-tune basses?
    No, I am a guitar player that dabbles on bass.
    Looks like both of you misunderstood that the 'out of tune' comment was a joke, envisioning the perspective of a typical producer that has never picked up a stringed instrument. A third bass player obviously only read the title, which made him register to the forum. :bleh:
    As I mentioned before I use an Ibanez Soundgear Gio 4 string, which go used for about $100. Not everyone has access to high end gear.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

OK, sorry... So that's funny...
    I begun with a Harley Benton that cost 140 euros new LOL ... I've made gigs with it.. not in from of the sunset though LOL
    But with the help of a little pedal, and a lot of finger work, I was able to have a good sound from it.

17. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

The guitars are getting nothing but rave reviews. Best bang for the buck.

So this needs a bass.

tempo is 60pbm
    The latest from my daughter.

Almost forgot crucial info. Tuned to 432hz = A

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  18. Lasher

Lasher Noisemaker

Hi Dragon, thanks for the welcome. I did read the thread and was not trying to be off topic or snarky. Just wanted to show what I though was some pretty cool bass playing on a fretless, albeit with some eFX. I've seen him also play and "detune" (tweek the tuners) while playing to get some interesting sounds. He is by no means a legend, even by his own admission. Just someone who looks to get expressive sounds out of an instrument that wouldn't ordinarily happen.

Getting back to your request. I would suggest that insteadof trying to mic a cabinet in an apartment and having to deal with all of the artifacts associated with that effort that you try something like Revalver 4 and manage your "clean" signal chain inside the computer. Check this out. I use it for guitar but can also be used for Bass.

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2015/11/peavey-revalver-4-review/

Be well. -L

19. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Just trying something different @Lasher . I've tried all the ampsims.
    I'm enjoying the ' closet recording setup ' for guitar mostly, which happens to work for quite well for bass. Did you get a chance to hear the clip?

The AxeFX is the only sim I've tried so far that felt like a cab in the ' other ' room blasting away. I'm sure the Kemper is equal if not superior.

20. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

nice one... and sounds like the voices were not processed much if at all... the way I like it..
    good vocal layering.. are they all her.. or some friends joined in ?

21. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I would anticipate that any musician will invest their hard earned dollars and they are hard earned, into the instrument they love the most. A bass player will do that, so will a guitarist or a drummer, keyboardist so on and so forth.
    Everyone does have access to high end gear in a music shop but to own one, yes I agree you need quite a bit of money for that and unless a person is born into wealth it takes a while to accumulate.
    I must say though that every high end instrument I own, I worked my ass off for a long time to get and I appreciate that I did work hard to get them.
    Cheers