Bass from Golden Features - Do You?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Marco Beatch, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Marco Beatch

Marco Beatch Noisemaker

Hey there!
    I've been working on this kind of sound several times in the past few months but I can't get close to the result I want.
    The sound is the bass in the drop of "Golden Features - Do You?"

I mainly use Massive, the closest result I got was by layering like for slightly different patches but I think that I overprocessed it and that there definitely is a quicker solution.
    Here you can listen to my work

The wavetable kinda seems to be a saw, maybe blended with a square, a bit of FM and everything filtered with low pass with an envelope on the cutoff. I just don't know if I'm doing wrong in the synth or in the processing, it sounds like it goes through a reverb or a dimension expander, i don't know what else... i also tried some cabinet and amp settings and at first i kinda liked their analogue feel but the bass is still not much strong.
    I tried also some mid/side stuff, low cutting and widening frequencies above 200Hz on the sides and I got some good results in term of mono compatibility but still no punch, I also got some extra dimension by adding just a couple voices to it.
    I had some decent results also by heavily limiting it and making it sound at the same level of the kick but I don't think that fucking dynamics in such a heavy way is good :/
    In poor words I can't get to make it sound fat with a slightly metallic feature, that kind of slap bass feel.

Any opinion, suggestion or even some tutorials to stuff similar to this one is welcome! Feel free to link me also something done in other synths, I just think that every synth is capable of giving kinda the same result if used properly, I just want to learn the process behind this kind of sound!
    Thanks in advance :)