Bass for teenage girl?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitars' started by JMOUTTON, Apr 29, 2023.

1. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I have a niece who wants a Bass guitar for her birthday. My sister is okay with it, because she is sure this will only last a few months at the most (but hey who knows.)

So I am not certain what to get her. I am not trying to pay more than what is necessary for what has a high probability of becoming a wall hanger or a door stop.

I don't know much about what's good or not on the low end market. I still want the bass guitar to be somewhat playable and not make her quit by gifting an instrument that is torture to play.

I did do some searching around and it seems the HB JP 450P isn't complete trash to play, but being in the States I wouldn't even know where to try one. It's either that a Yamaha TR or a Sterling Ray4. I am leaning toward the Yamaha or Sterling as they are known quantities for me, but figured I would make use of the internets and take some suggestions.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know, anything under or around $500 USD +/- is in consideration.

Thanks.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

What about a Fender "Jazz" Bass Squier.... could also be another model. There´re pretty good imo.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

Do you know what bands she likes or listens to often? That could heavily influence whether she continues playing, for example, if her favorite band's bassist plays a certain model/shape.
    Personally, I've found big motivation from playing the same model, playing the same songs.
    As FrankPig mentioned, shorter scale basses might be a good consideration, short and light is good for the back.
    If she is a Beatles fan that would bring the Höfner 500/1 (Ignition series) into the spotlight for example.
    But like I said, it depends on what she likes band-wise and visually.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  7. Davman

Davman Producer

Buy something decent. A bad bass will put her off playing and a good one will not lose much value and may even increase in value in the long term. I don't play base but I have plenty of electric, acoustic and classical guitars, most bought off ebay many in mint condition. Everyone of them is now worth more then I paid for them. The best thing is to let her try them out with a clear budget in mind. Also active or passive pickups. Both Ibanez and Cort make decent but budget friendly bases, though both of these are unlikely to increase in value in the short term.

8. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

9. dondada

dondada Rock Star

A simple bass is probably alright but more importantly
    also get her something like this (and show her this or similar)

Yousician

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Precision deluxe, the fret is smaller and will fit her hand, Mexico

[​IMG]

11. NekomimiMan

NekomimiMan Member

I would recommend a short-scale Squier bass, like a Jaguar.

12. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

She's 5'10" and 15 years old, so she isn't short, she's also athletic but I can understand how short scale bass could be beneficial.

I think she listens to whatever bobble head pop chick is currently on the charts.

From what I am seeing the Harley Benton is a no go or nobody has tried one.

As far as the standard stuff goes I've tried most of it, maybe I have a dated opinion of Squires I'll try one out this weekend. I am not so sure about the Ibanez's the think neck wide fretboard can be hard for beginner.

The Yamaha and the Sterling were what I came up with that I tried and thought these are not complete trash and were 32" scale length. I also personally liked an ESP LTD 204 or something similar but it was a 34" and even I as a regular guitar player found the string tension a bit high.I also tried a Jackson and a China Rickenbacker shortscale but didn't find the tone convincing even-though neither of them was bad to play.

I'll give the Dean, the Squire lineup and a Cort if I can find one to plauy a try might have to go to GC because I don't know who else who around N. VA carries Dean gear.

I don't think resale value matter much here because if she stops playing it, I am not going to get it back. What planet do you guys live on where girls give you stuff back lol.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Either Squire or Ibanez. Ibanez are affordable (especially used), generally play pretty well, they sound good and look cool.

14. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

She might hit me if I did that. She a little too old for stuff like that.

She's getting lessons courtesy of that her mom is paying for, the issue is weather or not she'll want to keep doing this 6 months down the road,

15. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yes if I was going to buy her a $1800 bass, that would be a good one.

16. BufferOverflow

BufferOverflow Member

At that price point, get a used Ibanez SR500. Very easy to play, a ton of tonal options, and they look and feel fantastic. As others have pointed out, the fastest way for the instrument to gather dust is when it's not a good instrument.

17. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Best Answer
    Definitely get a 34, I assume she doesn't have tiny hands for her height.

As a regular guitar player your opinions of spec are unnatural for bass. Tension can be somewhat offset by string gauges and the like. This is going to depend on how the bass is played. IE fingers vs pick, genre of music.

I like the Squier P, PJ or J models, but deinfitely play it and make sure the intonation is good and that the action is forgiving. The latter is quite important for a beginner who won't have any intuition regarding pick or finger technique.I believe that this intuition will be easier to develop on a more forgiving action. IE rattle will be more obvious at an early stage of development.

All the bass players I know reckon 90% of the tone is from the fingers. An amp is also pretty important... Then all you need is some Pixies records and an introduction to Carol Kaye.

18. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

FENDER MUSTANG ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!! Short scale makes it a breeze to play & the Mustang necks are kinda in the Goldie Locks zone. No too thick & not too thin. Which would allow her to migrate to other basses once she has a foundation of technique. Drop some custom pups in that baby if you fancy as well.

If handling a full size bass isn't an issue. Than I'll always refer to the original Fender P-Bass.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

In this case the benefit of Short scale is more about the Weight..
    (although length is also a positive factor)

Cheapo vintage basses are way too heavy for a teenage girl,
    heck even I find them impractical being 6'2"..

Otoh, I was greatly surprised the first time I held that Cort,
    makes it more accesible for everyone.. easy sale for any beginner girl :wink:

21. FrankPig

FrankPig Platinum Record

Completely disagree with this suggestion of a 5 string for a beginner. Wider neck, therefore much harder to play, plus if she's learning from YT tutorials etc very little will correspond unless she's following tutorials specifically for 5 strings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List