Basic explination between using VST in stereo vs mono form.

Discussion in 'Software' started by flguy, Jun 9, 2019.

1. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

I just noticed that most of the plugins I've been have been in their stereo form, although most have the option for mono also. In FL studio, all tracks are defaulted to stereo, so I've been using the stereo versions of plugins, even on low end and other tracks that I've made mono. Should I not do this, and would using the stereo version of a VST on a mono channel and vice versa negativity effect my mix?

I've some people say use mono with mono etc, and others said it doesn't matter, so I'm curious about what you guys think.

3. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

The general rule is as mentioned, mono w/mono, stereo w/stereo.

If converting a mono source to stereo, do all processing first. The conversion is not true stereo.

4. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Can you go into a little more detail on what happens to the sound when using a mono vst with a stereo sound or vice versa? Possible negatives?

5. Satai

Satai Rock Star

It wastes CPU to calculate in stereo if you only use mono down the line, so feel free to get rid of stereo where you don't use it.

Remember that mono is not worse than stereo fidelity-wise, in any way. It is its own thing and sounds a certain way, and mono channels are often very useful as an ingredient in a stereo mix.

6. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Good to know, thanks.
    Also, I'm wondering if there are any benefits to using combined 32 + 64 bit VSTs over ones that aren't. Or if there even are any benefits for that matter.

7. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Right on. I noticed that some are mono - stereo. When would it be useful to use that version?

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Best Answer
    If your source is mono, and you want to convert it to stereo. That is useful for reverb, delay, chorus... or in any other case when you want a stereo effect on a mono source.

I am an old school mixer and for me mono is the king. In a classic analogue mixer every channel is mono, and to get stereo you have to use two mono channels panned all the way left and right. When you work with an analogue mixer, you realise that the mixer is a mono to stereo conversion tool. You get mono in, pan it within stereo field, and you get stereo out. Aux channels for effects are usually stereo and you usually put delay on one, and reverb on the other, so before entering the aux effects the signal gets converted into stereo, that is if the aux channel is stereo. I hope this will help you understand it better.

When I mix in the box, I usually keep the drums, bass, and main vocal mono, but they all go through pan and aux effects and get placed into a stereo field this way, just like with a real mixer. I do use a real mixer, too, for submixing and processing stems, to give them analogue "liveliness" - harmonics and width/depth.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

saw this one yesterday, seems this is relevant to this thread.

10. Satai

Satai Rock Star

32/64 bit is all about how the plugin code is compiled (basically what type of CPUs do best running it), and it has no effect on the sound at all.

So on a modern CPU you might want to prefer 64bit and just go for that when you can, and when you can't because there isn't any 64bit version of the plug, then go for 32 bit. Sound-wise it does not make any difference, but performance might be better on 64 bit and it can use way more RAM if it needs to.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  11. flguy

flguy Ultrasonic

Thank you all!

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

So about the low end, which you asked about. I want my lowend mono, but I do not trust that I am not getting stereo information down there by plugins I am using in stereo with low frequencies. Or maybe in Logic, I want to eq/effects process mid/sides first you have to change the channel to dual mono for those options to appear in stock plugins. How/why it happens is immaterial, because it does.

This is what a mono maker plugin is for. Because of what is available on Mac, my goto is Sonalksis Stereo Tools. But there are plenty of others. You set a specific frequency you want to use, so for me this is 100hz. Everything below that threshold frequency is converted to mono. There is a good Brainworx one also from PA that many people use for it also. Also, the stock Logic Gain utility plugin has an option to convert any Stereo channel you add it to, to Mono. Your DAW probably has something similar. Being concerned with, and going out of your way over this is "much ado about nothing". It's Best Practices to do it right, certainly. But in the greater scheme of things, it's no big deal unless you are hawking a Youtube video.