Barebone/Mini PC for producing?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by aghori, Oct 26, 2023.

1. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

For reasons, I've been relying on laptops for years. But recently, I learned about the existence of barebone PC who weight very little and take very little space. Now I'm seriously considering getting one of these (and semi-retire my current laptop).

I know this is pretty basic, but there's no problem with these devices, right? What specs are the most important when producing?

3. spektr3recs01

spektr3recs01 Newbie

Choice one by the base clock in GHz like 3.3Ghz and 64 GB ram

Its the best to connect a 4k monitor like Samsung

Have a lot of good mini PCs in Aliexpress

4 terabytes hard drive 2.5 inch

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2023
  4. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

I think these metrics have become irrelevant in recent years. It's more important to know the gen of CPU, how many cores it has, etc. I'm not very savvy about this either. Same with hard drive, size doesn't matter, it's more about the speed, things like NVMe for smooth sample playing.

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

depends what you look for, they use same "crippled" components like laptops, so you just loose integrated screen and keyboard,
    if you want mini PC, I wouldn't go lower than standard mini-ITX motherboard and adequate components,
    something like GIGABYTE B760I AORUS PRO DDR4 with i7-13700 with 64GB DDR4 kit (2x32GB) would be great start
    :chilling:

6. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Thanks for the rec. Yes, I'm guessing the components are not the same as usual PCs, but I've heard at equivalent specs, Mini PCs are far cheaper than laptops. I was disappointed to see how laptops lowkey plateaued in recent years spec-wise, so I'd rather get something else.
    I'm also interested in the fact that you can upgrade/replace the parts more easily. I guess I need something that's bordering on regular PC, but with low weight/surface, because I often have to move.

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

mini PCs use non-standard parts, usually only RAM (SO-DIMM type "laptop-like" RAM) and storage (nowadays 1-2 M.2/NVME and 1-2 SATA ports at best) is user-replaceable/upgradeable,
    power delivery is non-standard which means non-standard mobo design, lower-tdp cpu, external non-standard power brick etc...
    -which essentially isn't that big issue since most people don't upgrade those anyway, buying new PC instead

maybe in close future, we'll see small PCs with standard USB-C power delivery, which could make them even portable with USB-C power banks, but as of today I don't think it's a thing yet

if you have to move monitor(s) + mouse + keyboard + audio interface, it's not really portable imo
    :chilling:

8. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Many of these mini pcs will produce a lot of fan noise when you use them for production.

Mac minis are probably much better in this regard, they're very powerful and relatively good value for money (I know, Apple!). I would certainly choose one and I've never had a Mac, PC all the way for over 30 years now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Second hand SFFs? Of course depending on needs..

10. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

I've been using an 8th gen Intel NUC at home for a few years. Works perfectly. Sadly, they have stopped producing them, but I think that was always the plan. They just wanted the concept to pick up some steam so OEM's would start manufacturing them.

One thing to keep in mind is: they are basically laptops in a different form-factor, so you won't get desktop level performance. The CPUs are low-wattage laptop CPUs, and the RAM are laptop SODIMM. Intel's top-of-the-line NUC machines were basically mATX mini-desktop PCs with real CPUs, RAM and space for huge graphics cards. If you want to go that route you can just build it yourself instead of paying extra to buy it from an OEM.

The best mini computers are probably the Mac M2, but if you really want a PC you could look at what Lenovo has to offer. You can configure your own build on their website. A cheaper option would be to look at some of the Chinese brands that are offered on Amazon/eBay etc. Beelink is a popular one. I don't know what kind of guarantee you get when you buy from brands like that though, but they seem like great PCs on paper.

The only negative thing I've experienced with them is that the fan can be quite loud and annoying at times. Since they are so small they ofc need small fans, which in turn makes the fan noise high pitched and annoying. Basically just like with laptops.
    The other thing is what I mentioned above: they are basically laptops in a different form-factor, so don't expect them to be more powerful than a laptop.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  11. Arabian_jesus

Oh, btw: I'd say that the single most important thing to consider when you choose which one to buy is the CPU. I'd say you need at least a quad-core i7 or Ryzen 7, preferably with above 3.0GHz base clock and at least 4.5GHz boost. You can set the power mode in BIOS to performance to get the CPU to stay at nearly full boost most of the time, but it can (will?) degrade your CPU faster. I've had mine for about 6 years without noticeable drop in performance though, so I guess it depends on how much you are using it every day.

EDIT: This one looks pretty ridiculous for the price! SODIMM DDR5(!), 8-core Ryzen 7, dual M.2 slots, USB4(!), Wi-Fi 6 and only for €759! https://www.bee-link.com/beelink-gaming-pc-ser7840-19943849-clone-1

EDIT 2: You can get it for €649 with the code SER7840HS110

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  12. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Minisforum, Beelink and Geekom make excellent and very fast mini PCs for very cheap - comparable to the upper third of current gen mainstream desktops. You're not going to get great gaming perfomance though. Just about fast enough to play modern titles at 1080p at acceptable framerates if you buy a system with AMD's best iGPU (780M) - that's not relevant for DAW work or any office task except for CAD / 3D modeling though.

Zotac, Gigabyte and Asus also make great mini PCs, but they charge a hefty premium for the brand name.

Most of the cheap mini PC brands are Hong Kong based and have just a handful of warehouses around the globe. Make sure to check shipping times.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

overpriced DDR5 and 8-core cpu capped at 65W (advertised 5.1GHz is out of question) :no:
    100W power delivery over USB4 means to cap TDP at 54W in BIOS :dunno:

14. Arabian_jesus

54W is max for the Ryzen 7 7840hs. It's a laptop CPU, not a desktop one. Most "regular" laptop CPUs are only 35W, so 54W is actually pretty good in comparison.

15. aghori

aghori Ultrasonic

Thanks everyone for the input! Really helped me seeing things clearly.

What about Taiwan? Actually, I'll be living there for a while soon, and that's one of the reasons I need portability. I was expecting things to be cheaper, but it seems the only perc of being there is that you have access to a lot of second hand stuff. I've seen that Intel Phantom Canyon NUC fully equipped at 600 USD.

Yeah, that's why I asked in my first post what specs are more relevant to music production. Although I have some gaming in mind (but I'm not deep into it, and I have peasant origins, 30Hz/720p is fine in my book).

16. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Well, if nothing else, shipping from HK will be much quicker:rofl:

17. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

If you can't build your own barebone, there are places that will do it for you. There's an overhead but the end result is better than buying a generic one. e.g. https://www.avadirect.com/Mini-PCs-NUCs

18. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

19. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

unless you are doing vocals, pc noise is irrelevant below a certain db level. They are a number of solutions for putting the pc in another room/location and transferring I/O over ethernet.

these are widely used in medical for moving data in imaging rooms without pc emi interference.

here's a cheapy from ebay. I've never used this brand, just an example of an easy solution.

[​IMG]

20. Garamondo Furbish

I did IT admin for several decades. Here's the scoop.
    NEVER buy new or 1st gen tech. let someone else debug it, let someone else pay the cost of acqusition.

used 2nd or 3 generation is fine for most people, realize any tech you can buy is soon "obsolete" because
    the manufacturers have to keep you on a treadmill to keep selling you the same shit over and over again.

its just like music, buy the lp, buy the 8-track, buy the cassette, buy the cd, buy the mp3, buy the stream.
    they just sold you the same product 6 times in a different package.

anything you buy, will not be perfect for your needs. You won't know your needs until you buy something. Why
    waste a boatload of cash on your computer education? buy a cheap used machine, figure out what works in your situation
    and what doesn't. Then consider "upgrading" or maybe you can just add a few things to your cheap used machine
    to get it where you need it to be.

I'm jaded, i've had my hands on hundreds if not thousands of computers over the span of my career. and I watched those
    shiny new 4 or 5 thousand dollar machines be installed, used for a couple of years and then trashed or recycled, over and
    over again. Computers are now a commodity. buy a 100$ off lease corporate computer and play with it. see if it
    runs your software the way you want it to. find out what you need, then spend the money if you need the
    ooh ahh look at this brand new pc, or maybe just buy a couple used ones for the same moneys and have a
    backup and a machine for experimenting on.

True story. I upgraded our network with new computers, back in the day, 3 years later, i was using a pair of those tower
    computers for saw horses for cutting lumber as they were now worthless on the used market.most of the rest went into
    a trash dumpster, so at least a couple were useful. probably at least a hundred thousand dollars turned to trash in 36 months.

21. Garamondo Furbish