Banning discussions on warez and requests is not the answer..

Discussion in 'Forum News and Updates' started by dbmuzik, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

"Ban on discussing warez and requests!"?

The answer is not about banning the freedom of speech for all current members and future members. It's not about the topic that's being discussed. It's about the foul, childlike nature of specific people. Those people need to be examined and extracted like teeth. It is a Dentist's(Moderator's) job to remove each infection as it comes.. and of course "show up to work".

The members can play a huge role by understanding that they are free to ban "themselves" from discussing anything they view as a bad topic. If childish or derogatory topics are posted they are better when given "no response at all". Don't vote, rate, or even address the OP with words. Understand they are looking for any response they can get.. so use the "Report" prompt and leave the OP's topic absent of replies in cases like that.

Moderator Positions:

This is a position that should not solely be about "who" has these positions, but more about "who has a specific time frame available within the 24 hour clock?". Each elected moderator should have a time scheduled shift in which they are on duty. Whether there are 12 moderators serving 2 hour shifts or 24 serving 1 hour shifts, this community has acquired members from all time zones and can bear enough volunteers so that at least one moderator is always on duty. A list of time schedules should be presented under the permission of the site owner for members to volunteer for the time slot/s they can commit to cover. After 10 days and/or there are multiple volunteers for every time slot the site owner or an elected official can review the list of volunteers and appoint one or more moderators for each shift. All of the moderators should be free and encouraged to contribute their efforts whenever they have time outside of their schedule and are present among the community.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  3. BumBcL0t

BumBcL0t Producer

This makes it sound like a real job and the moderators don't get paid anything. They shouldn't have to forfeit their own enjoyment of this forum to come and visit here for their 'shift'. More moderators who are willing to help out is all that is required. That, along with a tightening of rules around new members posting ability and rules around warez discussion will solve this current 'issue'.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  4. abletonmax

abletonmax Ultrasonic

Isn't a moderators job to merge threads when someone decides to carry on a previous discussion by opening a new thread for no reason?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. tjgoa

tjgoa Ultrasonic

nm.. I'm not participating in these discussions

6. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@abletonmax this is a counter position , so I don't see a prob with a separate thread on this, rather than have a back and forth brouhaha in the thread advocating the opposite..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

Discussion of warez is allowed. Requests for links of warez is not. And requests for software from teams or others is just obnoxious. If someone wants a piece of software or library, they should not request it here but should instead purchase it. Showing interest in a specific software or library is fine, but requesting other people to buy it for you in the forums is just uncalled for. Requests can be made in specific places, one of which is not the forum.

But please, if your interested in software or something, go start a thread and make a topic discussing it. Maybe someone will be intrigued enough to purchase it.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. tjgoa

tjgoa Ultrasonic

nm.. I'm not participating in these discussions

9. eddielee

eddielee Kapellmeister

this is already discussed in other threads

10. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

Rules are essentially laws. To limit/quarantine/separate the members usage of the forum by default would be a larger problem. Rules are always broken. And at minimum there should be a larger number of moderators. Each report submitted should automatically be sent to all moderators. The moderator who resolves a report can then remove it or mark it as resolved so the other moderators can isolate the unresolved issues. The chances that at least one moderator would be present at all times needs to be increased no matter what "method" is ultimately used to appoint more of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@dbmuzik I sort of like what you did there.... I thought myself.. that maybe we need more mods but with a specific duty
    to remove the requests , or overly derogatory comments. It's a fine line to walk, so they should be given some clear guidelines
    so they themselves don't become part of the problem. If one overstepped his limits too often then he would become subject to
    review , or, peer review ...

now.. this is just some thinking out loud...as we are all tossing around ideas how to address the issue
    without putting the cake out in in the rain, and messing it up for everyone..

when I joined here.. X was a calm quiet place to get some good info,
    so quiet I hardly came here for a good while... now it's well.. :facepalm:...
    but the general terms were respected and enforced.. discuss warez technical issues, request NO....

If we don't match up on this @dbmuzik , then elaborate for me

12. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I'm in sync with you on that. And of course, just as this topic was rough draft thinking on my behalf as well, if any of these ideas were to be implemented they should include further details for the moderators so it will be clear how to handle things appropriately.

13. rosko

rosko Ultrasonic

Can we first of all stop making new threads on the same subject? this is as bad as anything else on here. More mods is good but mods should get rotated . I think warnings should be issued on rule braking before a ban. Saint will never go for this, as he has some hippie utopian view of the internet. Requests for new software are pointless imo but discussion about new software should be encouraged. I think requests for already released software is fine though.

14. Wish I could give 2 or 3 'agrees' on that. Seem many peeps here think they around to tell next guy what he should be doin. 2 Many boss here, but only 1 of them real boss. That problem with old mod here. He was BIG BIG BOSSY! No good. Now new people wit posts saying how they want to be BIG BIG BOSSY instead! It like 'meet new boss, same as old boss' song.

The one boss here, Mr Saint is good boss. He okay with speech freedom. Peeps should let him do his job, he just fine without so many big brite idea about what should or should'nt be with these sites. But every body want to be BOSS. Let Mr Saint be boss instead.

15. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

I have had a thought. Why don't we all try a bit harder not to upset anyone or break the rules? I'm sure we have all upset someone, or broken a rule or two in here at some point in time.

I'll try harder if everyone else does!

17. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

reminder: freedom of speech involves the government attempting to halt freedom of expression. this is a bulletin board, users should abide by the rules and the rules are clear: we can discuss warez. just not request links for them. i thought that is simple enough to understand. then again, this is the internet. Carry on!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Freedom of expression?
    I have always wanted to know this:
    If I fart in an elevator, would it be better to do so in a minor, or a Major key, or should I use a mute?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  19. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

As long as you wait for me to get out, I have no preference :P

20. farao

farao Rock Star

Totaly agree with you on this. It is not mainly the topics started that is the biggest problem, but the way they are dealt with. Unfortunately there is a wolf pack of people here who still are members since Cats time. They have a lot of posts and think they run the place. They are often influenced by him and they were allowed to speak rudely to other members. These people are now the biggest problem here and I am sick and tired of reading the stuff they always write:

- Get out of here you noob!
    - Ban him!
    - This topic should be closed! Close it now!
    - Where are the moderators!
    - No fucking more requests! No fucking more requests! No fucking more requests!
    - You are an .... (insert insult here)

As you can see their behaviour fall into 2 categories.

1. Members acting like they are moderators and telling others what they should write or not to write.

(I think this should be against the rules. If they are not allowed to act like moderators and have to use the report button instead this forum will be a lot more calm. Let the moderators deal with warnings and bans, not rude members with lots of posts. As it is now these wannabe moderators litter the forum with off topic posts and insults making it harder for moderators to wade trough what often ends up in flame wars ignited by wannabe mods.

2. Insults and personal attacks. The wannabe moderators (but also others) are often revering to namecalling and insult other members. I think we all have a respomsibility to report these insults so the mods will see the probem. Also, Saint should give mods enough authority to deal with persons delivering personal attacks on other members.

These people often complain how terrible it is here at the forum nowadays (and at audioz) and that a lot of people are greedy bastards. Thing is that there are not that many greedy people here as they would have you belive. They also have a childish view on how they think Teams will blame a whole community for how some newbies are acting or making requests. It borders on paranoia a la Cat. But the solution is really simple... Since requests already are against the rules, make people report the post and do NOT let them act like moderators.

I do think request are annoying. Together we can guide requests to the correct place at audioz, downvote the post and report it.

Finally a conclusion: A rule could be added that says something along the lines of: As a Member you are not allowed to act like a moderator in the forums. If you see the rules being violated report the post or member - but do not interact yourself. At most inform them in a non hostile manner about the rule being violated but do not engage in any further confrontation. Confrontation is the job of moderators and should be left to them.

It should of course be shorter and more to the point, but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  21. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

I agree. The members who persist on being a derogatory nuisance have been attacking "every" thread regardless what the topic of the thread is. I hope it is ok, but I would like to use the member Remix as an example. I have seen several threads and comments from him over the past couple years and he was always straight forward and reasonable with his words. Yet recently, due to the childlike essence that can emerge in any thread.. he lost his composure and took on the "If you can't beat them, join them" approach. This is an example of how some bad seeds can ultimately sway other members into becoming the same. And if we focus on what members like Remix lose faith in and give up on: It's the idea that no one is ever around to witness and deal with the childish gestures within threads other than the regular members themselves who have no administrative privileges to filter it out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List