Bandlab will discontinue free Cakewalk

Discussion in 'Software News' started by jennyblack, Jun 7, 2023.

1. D-Music

D-Music Rock Star

A little sidestep here, but wat about Cakewalk Z3ta+2?

I can still access my 'Legacy' account, download and install it. Also, still working on Mac Intel Monterey 12.6.6 and Logic 10.7.8. While the info states "As of Feb 21st 2018, information elsewhere on this website may no longer be accurate." (so maybe it's already a miracle that everything still works after 5+ years)

So my question would be, will there come a moment that this plug-in wouldn't work anymore and that we can't do nothing about it? (with no support available or whatsoever).

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Z3ta+2 is such a good soft synth! I really hope they revamp it as part of this shift in their commercials. If Sonar will be a paid product going forward (replacing Cakewalk by BandLab), with Next the free option (replacing BandLab), then with an income stream there may be a bigger emphasis on development, updates, and maintenance of products such as Z3ta?! One can but hope as I still love this synth!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Barry T

Barry T Producer

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I am a professional producer, mixing/mastering engineer, and I love S1 for the exact reasons you mentioned. The drag and drop, the workflow, and so on.

A lot of people seem to enjoy Cakewalk and it piqued my interest, as I'm trying to get back into the "fun" of making music, and maybe having a 2nd DAW might facilitate that.

Time permitting I'll give it a go!

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I used to be huge fan of Cakewalk Sonar since version 8 or so, X1-X3 were amazing Windows-only DAWs, and I was only "forced" to leave when I needed multiplatform (Windows+MacOS) interoperability,
    soon after, it was sold to Bandlab, and since then it was just a matter of time it gets exploited enough to potential new paid product, or completely abandoned...

because vast majority of educational facilities are cluelessly stuck in dinosaur era thinking,
    Cockos not boasting about Reaper at every possible occasion, event, meeting etc.. not doing any real marketing, advertising and so on, simply can't push their DAW into silly schools,
    the sheer fact Reaper is so cheap right away but also in the long run (or almost free, under certain circumstances if you will) is as a result seen by professional world as inferior piece of software, it's a ridiculous just when you think about it
    :chilling:

5. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

If Reaper would just come with a decent default theme and a few more common shortcuts, it might capture a bigger share of the market..

6. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

yeah the default theme does look dated its not ugly it just look dated like it was made in 2005

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it would be really cool to completely redesign Reaper from scratch, maybe in a similar manner like MuseScore4 did, but it's a lot of things to consider, yet being relatively "unimportant" compared to actual performance and features to work on instead
    :invision:

8. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

yeah that would be cool ... another thing i must admit the only 2 things i wish they can fix in Reaper is that laggy Play Cursor within the piano roll when u zoom in for precise things it looks like the Play Cursor is doing Jumping Jacks lol a new Theme might come in Reaper 7 the program is really great but i read on the Reaper forum about the play cursor issue they said its something going on under the hood that the developers would have a hard time fixing it if they was to attempt to do it