Bandlab will discontinue free Cakewalk

Discussion in 'Software News' started by jennyblack, Jun 7, 2023.

1. jennyblack

jennyblack Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • List
  3. MdB

MdB Guest

who could have seen it coming ??!! :unsure: ... :dunno: ....... who said everybody ? :hifive:

too bad, i've read that it was the best of the best daw. The best ! :mad:

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well, figures. Fine, I can happily use the current version of Cakewalk until I die. I just can't imagine needing any bells and whistles beyond what is currently available. In fact, in another 15, 20 years my Luddite insistence on outdated tech will be cool.

And it is the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. JEPasCP1

JEPasCP1 Member

I'm fine with the final version of free cakewalk.:drunks:

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

from where comes this change of the heart? Cakewalk back in business?

Or simply noticed that forcing the user to use a login system for a free software is not a great deal and people still used R2R and shared versions over it?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
  7. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I liked it a lot. I like it a bit better than Studio One in general, but I find Studio One a bit easier for assembling tracks.
    There are a few things I'd like to tweak more, but now I'm using Reaper.... super-tweakable.
    So, the question for me is: What about Cakewalk / Sonar would I like to see in Reaper.
    Same for Studio One...
    What features can Reaper be made to do ...or NOT be able to do?
    There are already Cakewalk / Sonar & Studio One themes for Reaper ... actually there are themes from most every DAW

8. Barry T

Barry T Producer

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences between S1 and Cakewalk?

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

This is sad. Not for myself as I have no interest in it, but I know many educational institutions like schools, colleges, and so on were using this to educate their students on modern music making practices and so on, with it being free making it easily accessible to students and it being a fully featured DAW without the limitations on track numbers and so on that many of the other DAWs' free versions normally have. It may be an opportunity for other DAWs to expand the capability of their free versions to take advantage of this space though.

10. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Reread the KVR article. Key point:
    Cakewalk by BandLab will transition into Cakewalk, with two distinct products underneath: Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Next.

Was wondering though, when Epic Games would show it's corporate teeth. What's next? BandLab taking a share of artist's music streaming profits? Or has that already been done?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

12. ArticStorm

i dont understand why nobody started using Reaper in such institutions, i am sure Cockos would give them a good deal and as a first DAW its a very good start and super cheap for later to buy it. Add some free plugins in there and you have a wonderful educational experience for the first contact with music production.

Or i am sure there are other good DAWs or their free versions.

13. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I agree Reaper would be a good option, but even $50 or whatever Reaper costs nowadays (or less for educational discount) is potentially a lot to a 16 year old student who may not have employment and so on, so educational institutions will always look to the free options to make access equitable for all, regardless of poverty or wealth.

14. ArticStorm

But Reaper is literally free, you only wait 5 seconds and can use it with all retail features. thats what makes it so great.

Ohh you can apply for the Sonar Beta program and test it soon if they pick you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. paul_audioz

paul_audioz Ultrasonic

Yes, of course. But keep in mind that you get 2 whole versions update for free. Suppose you buy Reaper at v6.01 for $60; them you can update for free until v7.99!!! And also: the price $60 has been so for over a decade. Compare that to all the other commercial DAW's.
    Also like Artic says: the only protection is a 5 second waiting screen so you could use it for free after all.
    Reaper also has a great community of helpers at their own forum.
    Oh, and Reaper is available on Linux. Only Bitwig can do that too.
    Should I mention that I am using Reaper licensed for several years now, first on Windows, then emulated via Wine in Linux and now native in Linux?

16. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Where did you see this? I can see a beta sign up option for Next but not Sonar. Might be intriguing just to see what it's all about :yes:

17. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I don't disagree with any of this nor that it's probably the best bang for buck DAW in terms of price versus features and so on, but I just know most schools and colleges in UK at least use Cakewalk for educating learners, primarily because its free and fairly user friendly for newbies, with Universities tending to be using Logic Pro. That's taking into account those I'm aware of in various parts of the UK, including family members who have studied music, including at the likes of Paul McCartney's Institute of Performing Arts. Therefore, at least in the UK, these seem to be the norm, being Cakewalk up to age 18/19, and then Logic Pro thereafter.

18. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

It's a shame, but we'll see what they cook up. I'm fearing something subscription based as is the fashion of today.

So I can't recommend Cakewalk to people wanting a proper DAW.

Reaper is great, don't get me wrong. But I'd say it's not really beginner friendly. Tracktion Waveform maybe. For electronic music I always say that buy a five euro phone app and get Live Lite for free (really, just get Koala Sampler or iKaossillator and there's a free offer for Live Lite)

19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I guess I'm not only one thinking "was too good to last"

20. %

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2023
  21. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I doubt it would be much help, both because I am not an experienced user particularly when it comes to workflow, and what I find easier may actually be counterproductive... I think that's when a professional's experience and opinions are really important.
    I am a hobbyist with a focus on what's fun and interesting to myself ...
    Part of that interest IS is the process and the ability to understand and organize things, tweak, etc ...
    But without finished product, again, all that is just for it's own sake.

That said, certain things may be common enough to comment on.
    I do find it quite easy to drag stuff in S1 and quickly set up a few instruments and loops as well, whereas my experience (and at this point, mostly MEMORIES of comparing) is that Sonar's "Synth Rack" on the side, and bottom dock mixer / piano roll, etc were a bit more awkward.
    The mechanics of S1 seem easier or quicker in general. It's funny how that can be different even when the actual shortcut keys are the same ...
    Well they are both good and with practice everything becomes faster and then it's down to certain flaws that may get in the way.
    For that, i say ask the pros ... or really experienced users .. and look at the forums for each regarding use.
    Lots of PROs used Cakewalk / Sonar and I bet quite a few use S1, too.
    There are lots of people using more than one DAW, too. (I do just for fun, but some export stems and all that )

My takeaway from most debates is that all these top DAWs work well, and it might be more about personal preferences / styles.