Bandcamp Fans

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Engernettix, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

Hi guys, Just a quick question concerning Bandcamp. I am going to release/sel an album on Bandcamp in three days time from now. I am still uncertain however how some artists have a lot of fans but others don't. Is this external support or is it Bandcamp related like, non attractive Artwork, Tagging, Price? Reason I say this is because I noticed there are hundreds of new releases that have very little or no fans/support at all and some of the music is quite good. Can anyone who has been successful in selling on Bandcamp explain how you acquired your fan-base please.

Many Thanks

3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

I don't think you can really get fans on bandcamp itself. Once you got fans on soudcloud, facebook, or some other social media you can redirect them to your bandcamp link.
    How do you get fans on soundcloud ? By being good and a lot of luck :rofl:
    (and for the love of god don't buy fans on these shady websites that offer such "services")

4. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

You can have Bandcamp-specific fans. The site is bifurcated - "for bands" and "for fans." Musicians and labels have "band" accounts, others can have "fan" accounts. Also, on each album's page, there is a "Support" button, on which people click and the icon of their "fan" account is displayed. As a musician (but speaking for myself), I find this feature annoying - more insidious "social" feartures which service-site developers feel they must add in order to make things more appealing. (Still no logging-in with FaceTwit accounts - yet.) One reason why this irks me is that it turns what should be sacrosanct retail space into a "yearbook-signing" contest, whereby if one has few or no "fans" or "supporters," one looks like a loser and/or that one's music must not be that good.

5. Kookaboo

Kookaboo Rock Star

Well I think the best way to get “real“ fans is going on tour or make single concerts.
    People nowadays may believe that the “virtual“ world will make musicians/bands faster known,
    but it's not really true. Platforms like Bandcamp, Reverbnation, Jamendo etc… can be good
    to give extra-INFO and goodies though but the real fans want to “feel“, follow you as person.

A musician friend of mine Alejandro Zalaquett from Chile states +9.500 visits on Jamendo.
    So it can be quite fun to know that many persons have listened to your music.
    Code:
    http://www.jamendo.com/en/list/a132443/desperte

6. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

Thanks, I suspected so, I totally agree about NOT buying fans, wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I guess I will have to set up new facebook and youtube accounts and entice real people in. Thanks for your advice.

7. Engernettix

Engernettix Newbie

Thanks, I never tried Jamendo or Reverbnation before so I will check them out right away. Wow +9,500 visits is alot!!!! I forgot about forums too, Wish I was socially adaptive. Having aspergers doesn't help much. Thanks for your advice.

8. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Also depending on the type of music you do, you can find youtube channels that promote artists of that genre (there is EpicVN for orchestral, mrsuicidesheep for various chilled electronic music, majesticcasual, the soundyouneed for chilled house and the like etc.) They have a contact info where you can send them your work. If you ever make in on their channels, that's a HUGE promotion. They still make all of the youtube ad revenue but still :rofl: