Band I recorded in 1 take

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Lenny Belardo, Jun 17, 2020.

1. 11 piece band. One take.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Love it!
    Nicely recorded and mixed, man.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. We built a wooden floor for the flamenco tap dancers who did the castanets. Ever tried micing up a floor? Ended up raising the floor and taping piezos underneath. Waste of time. As soon as I brought the level of the tap dancing up it sounded like elephants stampeding.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Wait, what? Really? Well, I hope that effort was for more than just one track!
    I didn't know you had enough space to be able to mic all that up affectively, mate.
    Where did you put the brass?

6. I did a whole album. Everyone was partitioned off to reduce bleed and I borrowed about 20 mics to do the job. All SM57's! Never say they aren't versatile.

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Awesome! Sounds really good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. JCF22

JCF22 Member

Dig it!

9. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Dude, the Vatican is massive.

:knock: <--- my idea of funny vs reality

10. I suggested recording hand claps in the bathroom. We lost five good men that day. They're still lost. I pray for their return.

11. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Keep the faith - old habits die hard. Besides, quality ol' skool acoustics never come cheap so the risk was justified...

12. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Audiosexual

I really like this production! Mix is amazing, love that you used 57's too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Are you suggesting it was Bruce Willis dressed as an elderly nun?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

The Expendables: Unholy Order - coming to a multiplex near you soon..

15. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

It sounds great. My first thought about 30 seconds in was that there were dynamics everywhere and that it seemed as if the bleed was minimal.

I'm walking the dog so am wearing Westone W30 ear buds (in the rain...dog is happy, I wanna cup of coffee) but have got to know them pretty well in the last 10 months or so. The only nip I have is that I'm loosing the intelligibility of the lyrics when the singer takes it down a notch and it gets lost in the sauce. Other than that it is a cool song, fine band, a nice mix and good arrangement.

16. refix

refix Platinum Record

nice. clear, spacial. don't know why but i thought of Tom Jones, and i have not thought, heard or seen Tom Jones in a long time. phrasing, timbre or something.

have to agree, the vox are masked. are you a no-compression purist or was bleed a problem? carving out a space and riding while leaving them sat back inside would really benefit them. they are definitely a feature worth prioritizing, even bringing forward a tad. blah blah. i am sure you understand it is hard for musicians to listen without picking the hell out of things. i would compress and eq a vacuum cleaner if i could. sounded good anyway.

17. Bleed was a problem of course. 11 people playing their live set in one take in one day and only SM57 microphones. I had office partitions around everyone so nobody could see each other. Luckily they'd been touring this material for a year. Setting up headphone feeds was a nightmare if memory serves me. But it's hard to remember the details from 1988. At the time all of my outboard gear consisted of a DBX160 and a Yamaha REV7. It was recorded through an early 70's model Soundcraft desk into a 1" Otari 8 track. Mixed onto a Tascam 2 track and that was the master that went to vinyl. It was the hardest $500 I ever worked for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. refix

refix Platinum Record

haha. thanks, tells me everything i need to know. sounds like a nightmare in general. which was often the usual for that time unless you had the budget. thanks for the memories.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List