backup the files paths as txt file or image??

Discussion in 'PC' started by demo10, Jan 6, 2018.

1. demo10

demo10 Newbie

hey guys .. as i stated in the title .. i don't want to back up the files themselves .. i just want to save the names of the files in every folder i have ... and of course the folders' names ..

because i can redownload everything at anytime .. but i don't have much space on my harddisk ..

i can PRINT SCREEN every folder .. then Print screen the content of every folder ... etc

but that would so much pain ...

any ideas guys?

3. Willum

Willum Rock Star

what OS you are using would be a great help. :)

If you are on windows. there is a built in directory listing command called Dir.

Press the windows key and then type in "cmd", then type in "dir /?" and read the instructions.

Probably best to resize the cmd window to make it bigger first, theres quite a few switches for the Dir command.

If you are on a mac, i have no idea, sorry.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

No, you can't! And even if you can, it costs way more time = money and nerves than buying a new HDD.
    Yeah, it is often times, :suicide: although for some purposes it can be enough..

Anyways..:bleh:
    A good tool you can use on Windows is called Directory List and Print Pro. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

FlashFXP has that function: Directory > View RAW Directory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. mono

mono Audiosexual

Hi have a program here that someone made for users on a other site
    it was to help us sort out chess databases and books.
    On windows you just copy the exe into any folders you want to list and it addes them to a txt.
    It has some info about other operating systems but i only used the win version.

http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/JSIltOwH/file.html

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  7. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

For windows and command prompt, go into desired directory and drive, for example Q:\Samples

> q:
    > cd samples
    > dir /b /s > q:\listing.txt

And file listing.txt will contain full path information and it will include all files.

For Mac OSX or Linux, similar with terminal:

> cd /samples
    > ls -R ~/Desktop/listing.txt

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Tested the tool @momo. It's nice but a bit complicated to copy that exe in every folder.:dunno: Also I think it does not list the subdirectories, does it?

@nikon, that command is really cool. Just tried it with my users folder and it spat out a 20MB txt file containing a full list with all subfolders and all the 200000 files.:wink:

Directory List Print and Pro on the other hand can create pdfs and even xls documents and leaves a small space between the folders which I find useful for overview. But printing the file from the same directory took way longer.
    The pdf containing the 200000 files list is slightly bigger (29MB) and has 2600 pages.:rofl:

9. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

if you are on mac you can use this one: saves all paths and names.. like if was finder..
    "DiskCatalogMaker"

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. uhub

uhub Kapellmeister

FYI, also if u use IDM u can export all of ur downloads' list in .txt or .ef2 with direct links, in earlier last year, my internal hdd crashed and i lost 7 months' data (I was lazy & didn't back up on external, but now i do every week after the incident) and downloaded 70% of the crashed data exporting my Downloads' list into IDM within 4 days.

So keep files' names, also downloads' list, it always comes handy in time, thanks :)

11. demo10

demo10 Newbie

i'm on windows , and thank you for those dir commands that i had no idea about, they changed my life :D .. thank you

if i have money for it, that would be great too :D ... but since i'm kinda weird :D.. new HDD wouldn't be enough for me .. i love having a copy of all my files and libraries names with me ..
    thank you Saint ... i checked it and i think about mixing two solutions to get the result i want .. that's a great tool.
    thank you man for this tool it's amazing .. but its kinda complicated and i'm stupid :D ..
    My man .... you're the hero! .... that's exactly what i was looking for ... it gets even the sub folders !!!

sorry for not mentioning this .. but i'm on windows :S

i always download a lot of things that don't belong to specific cateogry .. but in my HDD ... i make a lot of folders ... and sub folders :D like :
    Tutorials:youtube:
    Groove3:
    .... etc

so copying the folder content names will be suffient to me cuz the internet download manager list is a mess.

12. lerkjurk

lerkjurk Platinum Record

^ infos already posted ^

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  13. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Just ask developer and you're on horse back :)