Background noise with some VST's

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by SpectricsMusic, May 30, 2013.

1. SpectricsMusic

SpectricsMusic Newbie

I discovered, that some plugins can cause background noise.
    Is there a way to avoid this because I could imagine that it could be very annoying
    with some more instances of vst's which cause this problem or is there no reason to
    be worried? Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKsScgNVPVQ&feature=youtu.be

3. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

HD is not working for me, so is it Sylenth1 or an effect VST that cause the noise, I cant see it...

I never had problems with Sylenth1 in FL Studio 9, and I never heard of anyone having that problem.

To be able to help you better, we properly need some more information:
    Which version of FL Studio do you use? Legal or cracked?
    Are the VSTs legal or cracked?
    Does this problem only appears by chance or always?
    Is the noise still there after a complete system restart?
    Are you able to use the exact same VSTs in a different DAW, or a previous version of FL (will let you know if FL is the problem)?
    Did you checked the FL Forum? If you have a illegal version and cant read the FL forums I could take a look for you.

4. virusg

virusg Rock Star

just tested Waves series in S1v2 with 5 Sausages on master:

CLA, Kramer, H-Plugins, JJP, Lin-EQ's, Maserati, MAxx Volume, Morphoder, MV plugs, NLS summing, One Knob plugs, PuigTec and PuigChild has a nasty low frew rumbling, SSL plugs, VEQ plugs ...

all of these have noise's and diferent nasty frequencies on them that they add up to your sound, sylenth1 doesent make a sount until you press a key :wink: :bleh:

thanks @studiodiciassette, yes indeed its the Analog Button but most of them does not have that

5. PLM you are right..
    did you disable the "analog" knob in the waves plugs?

6. urOk

urOk Member

Agreed with PLM, I found that some Waves plugs made white noise.

7. muaB

muaB Producer

try it like this: use a gate with the threshold really just a little bit above the noise level right after sylenth and donĀ“t boost with sausage fattener too much and/or dial back the added gain or accept the noise as part of your music :)

one more possibility is changing the sample rate? this is just a guess though

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Lots of Waves "vintage analog" plugins produce noise like their real hardware counterparts, and that's why they have the "analog" button button to disable that noise, if you find them too noisy. It certainly depends on the taste, and what kind of sound you're trying to achieve. I like a bit of noise, but I find it too noisy for my taste when the noise alone is peaking around -70dB to -60dB on the master, like in an analog studio where I sometimes work. To people who work there that's normal, and they fight the noise with gates as much as they can, but the analog gates themselves have noise floor at around -100 to -90dB! :) Great thing about VST gates is that they can be set up to be completely silent, but some of them let you decide on where you want your noise floor to be ["range" button].

I myself prefer the noise peaking at around -90 to -80dB on the master, like in a high end analog studio, and it gives some nice mojo to the sound, IMO. Absolutely silent production sounds unnatural, because we're surrounded by the background noise in real life, all the time. I love working with "noisy" plugins, and how I deal with the noise to keep it down at -90 to -80db is with automation of the "mute" buttons on tracks, and/or by using gate plugins on the tracks that I find too noisy. In the box, you can control the noise so nicely and easily. :)

Cheers!

9. SpectricsMusic

SpectricsMusic Newbie

Thanks for all replies! Very helpful! I think I know what to do now.