Background Audio While Cubase Is Open [Solved]

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by UTB, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. UTB

UTB Newbie

Hi there.

Apologies if this has been asked before, had a quick browse of the forum 7 couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to get audio to play in the background from a different application (Splice) while Cubase 12 is open.

I have tried to un-tick the "Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of This Device" option from within the Windows Speaker Properties.

Unfortunately this seems to remove the ability to select my audio output device from the Cubase Studio Setup window, it is no longer in the list of available devices & I am not able to hear any audio from within Cubase

I can have a separate audio such as a media player or YouTube working but not at the same time audio is playing from Cubase.

I am using an M-Audio external sound card that is connected through USB & the Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver

From what I remember I was able to get this working with Cubase 5 but that was years ago?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

3. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Check for setting "release driver in background" or something like that. It's under the latency values at the studio setup window

4. iw

iw Producer

5. skeltoid

skeltoid Kapellmeister

The way I got it to work is make sure the settings in Cubase match Windows audio properties of your audio device.
    Example all my DAWs are set to 24bit 48000hz and under windows settings I had to change it to that or any time I opened an audio app it would kill the sound on everything and I would have to start videos over again.
    Now I can watch youtubes and movies and even have them playing while playing in Cubase.

6. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I guess this is not a problem tied to cubase itself, it's just that ASIO doesn't like sharing exclusive control, whatever option is allowed.
    You must use ASIO routers like Voicemeeter or Odeus Asio Link Pro (the last is better:wink:), then magically you can use any audio source in windows.
    Basically, in this way you're routing ALL windows audio through ASIO driver.

Off topic: may I ask, does M-Audio have a proprietary ASIO driver? It could improve performance.

7. Bandit

Bandit Producer

This is the solution!

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Doesn't this "problem" go way back in Cubase? I seem to remember using ASIO4ALL for the OS/applications (Sound Forge, mainly), and allowing Cubase to use another driver it wants to use... with an M-Audio Delta. A very long time ago.

9. bennyplease

bennyplease Newbie

1.png 2.png 3.png

my settings. I can do anything long as the sample rate is the same

10. UTB

UTB Newbie

Hi folks,

Cheers for all of the suggestions.

It was a combination of setting the correct frequency across both Windows & Cubase 12, un-checking the "Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of selected port configuration" within "Studio Setup"> "Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver"> "Control Panel" & un-checking the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option within the Windows Sound Advanced Properties

I have attached some images of my setup just in case it can help anyone else.

I'm going to have a look around & see if i can find some specific drivers for my M-Track as per orbitboosters post & see if that improves anything else.

Thanks again for the help... been struggling with this issue for years :wink:

Edit: How do I mark this thread as solved?

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 5 [Solution].PNG

Capture 4.PNG

Attached Files:

11. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Put in the title (solved)
    Glad you solved it

12. UTB

UTB Newbie

Sweet, Will do.

You & me both man, absolutely made my day :wink:

13. UTB

UTB Newbie

Cheers for the advice. I managed to find the correct driver & it has brought the latency down from 80.000ms to 11.791 ms

So far seems to be a massive improvement!

Thanks again :wink:

Capture.PNG

14. AudioMixing22

AudioMixing22 Member

There is a free software called Voicemetere you could set up one for communication and the other as the default device. by this method, you can use Cubase or any Daw running in Windows BG without any issue.