Back up your projects to the cloud now!

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by metaller, Jan 19, 2019.

1. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Lol, I would be curious by using google's cloud as backup.
    There's also an Adobe cloud and when you legally use Adobe software for some time
    and then your license runs out because of no payment, all your files are locked in the cloud
    until you pay again. Who knows if google somewhen starts handling it the same way and
    locks your files for whatever reason.

The most secure way is to burn the most important files to a DVD or Bluray disc
    and additionally copy em to a backup drive. I have a emergency usb flash drive, a backup disk
    and some dvd's with my most important project files.

Btw. Google Drive is free and there also once was a free app from Adobe for android
    and when you saved your work there in the cloud, Adobe automatically took the copyright for
    these works to use them for their own purpose. They also wrote it into their EULA but no one
    was reading it. So whatever free cloud it is, don't use it as backup.

2. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

If I own a cow, the cow owns me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. DrumHead

DrumHead Producer

BINGO!!!!!

Even if it isn't free.....still a bad idea. "THEY" want us to stop having our own recordable media.. "THEY" dont want you to own your own favorite record or movie anymore - just stream (rent) it. Ultimately we will be forced to record our music/video to a stream and run apps from a cloud instead of local data. Its already in play.

POOO POOOO "the cloud"

4. doctorG

doctorG Kapellmeister

The true defenition of The "CLOUD"....."Corporate Lackies Overtaking Ur Dominion"............

Wat starts as "Free" turns into the dominance of control at some point......Remember "Nothing in Life is truely free!...there's a price to be paid at some point!

as far as Delilia,,,,,had she put on her tin foil hat before she left the house...she would have sensed a meteorite was coming and run to seek shelter. So sad....but we mourn and live on!

5. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

'better' (imo) than google drive : www.pcloud.com
    I've got 16GB free from them and the sync clinet lets you sync any folder in multiple location you like

6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

all these free services land always below the amount i would find useful, maybe its just a matter of time till they double, then it would work at least in my case but all under 25 gbs is just to "little". but maybe its just a matter of been better at cleansing projects that are no-go and just take place..

7. thepie

thepie Ultrasonic

Cloud was too pricey for my liking at the TB's i wanted to back up. A server savvy friend of mine came round and set up a raid network for me. I have my primary 5tb drive with everything i need on it and my 3/4 previous drives have been turned into one giant drive. When i update my primary drive the RAID drives mirror it. Apparently my data is safe even if one or two of those backup drives faiL, but any more than that and the data won't be retrievable.

8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Ive never got my head around this raid setups, now when I read what you say it doenst sound hard to get at all lol. sounds like a totally reasonable solution. only thing is though, having all your backups in one box, dont know why but i get a "safer" feeling just having it on separated drives, not in the same "box". but, at the end of the day I may follow your example some day

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

why would anyone store their more or less personal files on some unknown location with no guaranteed access hmm?
    in-house NAS with disk fault tolerance, and additional various HDDs lying in shelf is way to go :chilling:

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Unless the shelf screws are loose...

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The problem with using RAID as a full mirror (RAID1 I think it is) is that you can't change the hardware (NAS container or regular PC chip), nor to use individually one of the drives.
    Advantages: easy as hell (Edited: once set up), real-time mirroring.

So if you want simply two identical backups on separate disks you better use a regular backup program (or hardaware counterpart) with option to write to two different drives. Or copy a full backup.

Foreseen answered comment: I'm not talking about RAID modes with striping

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  12. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    did anybody else get an email from google+ about the service 'going away' by april?
    cloud services (aka somebody elses computers accessed via t'interwebz) can, have (and will) disappear just as easily you know.
    you might as well leave your hard drives out in the street with little labels on saying 'please look after this data' like paddington bear.
    whose server?
    which country?
    which (subcontracted) data storage centres?
    how many redundancy levels?
    how old's the equipment?
    how often maintained?
    what chance of accidental lock out?
    etc.
    you can know the answers to all these questions, and more, by storing your data yourself.
    It strikes me that some folks just naively believe that somehow the world is gonna always treat 'em nice.
    think critically about these things, it could save on some massive headaches in the long run.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

that's what I like about Synology, hybrid raid allows various capacity drives to be used, and if the NAS unit dies, you can move all the drives (at same order though) into different NAS and keep running entire raid flawlessly :chilling:

14. LuckySevens

LuckySevens Platinum Record

Not to mention if they or the internet goes down... all your shit is gone. Just monitor your own hard drives, clean them religiously and replace them every 2 or 3 years (some high-end ones up to 5 years) as that is all they are guaranteed to last...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

That's because no one uses Google+ (same as Hangout, etc). Not Drive which everyone uses. :rofl:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/25/17613442/google-drive-one-billion-users

16. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    The point is that 'drive' (aka somebody elses computers accessed via t'interwebz), and other services (aka somebody elses computers accessed via t'interwebz), can be taken away just as easily.
    I naively believe that the world is gonna always treat me nice.
    Will you look after my Bear?
    :)
    :rofl:
    btw, i don't use drive but I do have this habit of reading the whole post and not just the first line.
    :wink:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019