Baby Audio - Smooth Operator Spectral Processing Plugin

Discussion in 'Software Reviews and Tutorials' started by Udi Zisser, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Udi Zisser

Udi Zisser Platinum Record

Baby Audio has released Smooth Operator, a signal balancer plug-in based on spectral processing. While you can use Smooth Operator to bring out clarity and balance in your audio tracks, its biggest strength lies in creative tone shaping, Baby Audio says. Interesting!

Get Smooth Operator: http://bit.ly/smooth-operator-plugin

• Like Like x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. sadisticmika

sadisticmika Member

I thought it would be more discussions about this plugin :(
    anyone try it? compares to soothe2?

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It's like comparing Gulfoss to Soothe 2.
    They're all a little different but do similar things with each having their own thing. Soothe is more surgical. This suppresses resonance really well but so does soothe, but soothe seems to not change as audibly. Apples and Oranges in some ways. Soothe's detection display seems more accurate but Baby Audio's is definitely more audibly noticeable, which can be good for many things. Soothe is more transparent. Smooth Operator seems to contain some of Spiff's features as well whereas soothe is designed not to change too much and only suppress. I hope that makes sense? That's what seems to happen to my ears anyway. Do I think the baby Audio is good? Yes. As for comparing, I cannot, they're a bit different though all definitely perform similar tasks.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Thanks for the info, going to have to check it out myself now that you put it this way.

6. odod

odod Rock Star

Bought Gulfoss, really versatile plugin ..tried the baby audio but not satisfied.
    and btw, sonible also preparing their smartEQ with new features

7. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

I never could evaluate Gulfoss fully because it freezes my DAW right up when I reload my projects but it seemed to be very useful while I was in that session, I just can't make my mind up because I can't tell since I can't fully compare due to not being able to reload it. Always was intrigued by it though.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. odod

odod Rock Star

at first i doubt it, and now they have the live version .. and yes, to me it is a very useful plugin to mix with,

9. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

"smart EQ's" AI EQ's in mean time, more you use it, more stupid you become. Lets use our brain AI at the mixing stage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

there's no way I'd pay for it at 40. but it's not bad. there are just quite a few others like it (or better) in the price range.
    it's nicer than one other one I tried from them.

11. sadisticmika

sadisticmika Member

thank you for the info, really helpful.:wink:

12. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

I'm not even going to pretend that I know what was actually happening when I stuck it into the fx slots in the mixer on various channels in my mix. But to my ears it sounded great almost every time.

I'm very interested in this AI eq idea, I just wish there was more info on what's happening so I can learn something out of it. Otherwise I think plugins that are going this way are very useful.

13. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Just to be clear, resonance describes the phenomenon of increased amplitude that occurs when the frequency of a periodically applied force (or a Fourier component of it) is equal or close to a natural frequency of the system on which it acts.

The difference between this and say any EQ is that an EQ generally cuts or boosts both the natural and unnatural frequencies. A resonance suppressor that is well made like Soothe 2, attacks the unnatural frequencies with the intent of not affecting the natural frequencies. It can affect the natural frequencies if desired but that's on how it is applied - being the operator. Similarities but huge differences too. One does both and does not separate them (EQ).

14. MrLyannMusic

MrLyannMusic Audiosexual

Thank you, i learned something today.

15. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

when it comes to the interface i prefer such more abstract approaches a lot over pseudo-realistic auto EQ or auto compressor tools.

otoh, FFT is not exactly the preference you have when you want to use it as special effect, i.e. with extreme settings.