Axe FX ultra or VST or save up for Kemper?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by venndi, Sep 16, 2018.

1. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

I have ordered a JBL LSR 305, the next step would be maybe some upgrade from VST's to Axe FX Ultra, but I'm not sure it is worth or not.

So, what do you think, is the FX Ultra good enough, would be better than the VST's? Mostly I'm using the TSE X50, Revalver, would be it an upgrade with the FX ultra? Should I just save up for Kemper? From the YT videos it seem that the Kemper is the best one, but it's currently out of my budget.

3. sevente

sevente Kapellmeister

Well, I think a better question to ask is: are you getting the sound you want from the VSTs?
    If yes, then I see little reason to change. If no, then what would an upgrade to something else give you that is currently missing from your setup?
    If what you're chasing is a nebulous "better sound", then no piece of equipment or software is going to fill that need. Every time something new comes along, you will always wonder whether that shiny new thing is "better".
    As to which one, while you can ask people about their experiences with different products but in the end the decision is going to be entirely up to you. It's like asking someone "which is better? Peaches or apricots?", while somewhat similar they have their differences - there is no definitive answer and everyone's opinions will subjective based on their personal tastes.
    But since you are looking for advice, I will off my 2c, for whatever that is worth not having played through either, but having suffered bouts of G.A.S. for extended periods: they're both very pro units that would be "good enough" for 99.99999% of guitarists out there. The AxeFX would probably give you more flexibility with FX and routing if you're prepared to spend the time creating patches, while the Kemper would give you a system to easily duplicate amp setups/sounds, either your own or other peoples. Whether or not you want to do either of those things is another question again.
    If you are unsatisfied with your current setup I would suggest trying out some other VST plugins, as that would most likely be a lot cheaper than either of those hardware units and be within your budget, a few hundred bucks compared with over $1000 for either of those hardware units (I think, I haven't checked lately). You could probably even demo a few different ones for free to find the one that best suits your needs.
    Good luck!

4. notremid

notremid Producer

As mentioned above, you can try other VST plugin suites like IK Multimedia Amplitube 4, NI Guitar Rig 5, Overloud TH3, Waves GTR, Vandal, Line 6 Helix or POD Farm. Experiment with these and many other available. If you must go hardware(for live or studio), I have friends who are rather pleased with their AXE FX Ultra and some of the best in the game use it too. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

IMO the advantages of hardware boxes are:

1. generally lower latency
    2. you don't get distracted with your web browser etc. when dialing in tones. you don't think about maybe changing the settings later.
    3. you can take the sounds with you anywhere

I've been using VST's for the longest time. I don't really notice the latency. But now and then I fire up my old V-Amp Pro, you know, from the dawn of digital modelling boxes (which I also use as a DI box often) and it's like oh... this is fucking different and immediate. The latency with your average interface/ASIO setup IS actually quite noticeable once you have something to compare to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

The Kemper responds like a real amp and sounds superior, but buried in a mix Helix Native is probably good enough if you gainstage correctly, and maybe add some ear candy such as nebula/acqua preamps and EQ. In reality VST drums are a bigger problem to deal with.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

are you a gigging musician ? -> axe fx8
    studio only ? -> bias amp2 , helix native , mercuriall , kazrog complete is the way to go imho..

8. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A Kemper is excellent in a studio setting if you are prepared to make the investment. I got mine preowned, so less $ outlay. I used VST solutions for many years, but the KPA is my best ever gear purchase and it made me buy 3 more guitars. Actually maybe it's best not to buy a Kemper :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. m1watch

m1watch Noisemaker

For me not a helix fan, used it didnt like it. Kemper hmmmm you find what you like and tend to stick with it, used my mates a few times. Personally I prefer pedals. I am surprised at the Katana head for the money, I can get some killer tone out of that. Check out Jucastonesshack for a flavour of what it can do. Where kemper and axe fx fall down for me is gigging, no way would I take that fantastic gear out!

10. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

Never used an ultra, I have a Mk II XL Plus and I have used various modelers throughout the years. Id say save up for either a kemper or a fractal unit and call it a day. Ive tried Bias, amplitube etc... nah.

11. notsoloud

notsoloud Guest

Go to a music store and try them all. We can't tell you which one you'll fall in love with.

12. Kingvrage

Kingvrage Kapellmeister

you wont find kempers or fractals in guitar shops.

13. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

i can't believe to still see some people recommending such garbage like NI Guitar Rig, Amplitube4 or BiasFX.. Overloud/TH

The first two ok.. they were here since the beginning, they had their time... but the last one, BiasFX is just a joke.. they have spammed that one so hard everywhere, i'm sorry but BiasFX just DOESN'T SOUND.. TH, is just sliighly better.

Now, just go check BiasFX review by Ola Englund and then switch immediately to the review of the Neural Fortin Nameless suite and listen to the difference to get yourself convinced! ...

Under what rock you've been living all this time?

We are in 2019, nowdays, on the VST amp market there is nothing that has ever sounded better than stuff from https://neuraldsp.com/

just go listen to reviews and demos of their latest Archetype Plini VST on youtube!

on the 2nd place i would put the STL Tonality and then i would go with any ampsim vst by UAD2 and last i would finish with Line6 Helix..

NI Guitar Rig , IK Amplitube and.. Waves GTR.. belongs to the HISTORY.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List