Avid wants to charge me for an update!!! Yes, for an update not Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by asad12, Oct 14, 2015.

1. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

And they don't support drivers and/or updates of many of their own products like Axiom, Axiom Pro, etc.

2. Hybridstudios

Hybridstudios Ultrasonic

when you operate a studio as a business though pro tools is still king, especially when you have a hd system with an icon like i have. too much money invested in the A room to switch. the b room however will have PT,Logic and probably S1 v3 once they gain more controller support. thats the largest downside to S1...we dont mix with mouses...

3. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

If only their support was bad. Axioms are notorious for blue screen issue, every second unit is affected. Not only M-Audio didn't release any fix, they also removed a post of someone who fixed it and posted a solution for them stating that posts encouraging users to disassemble their keyboards are not allowed on M-Audio forums. Fortunately, one moderator managed to recover the post with PDF.
    http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/axiom_pro_61_blue_screen

(Read Patricio post, direct link to his PDF is this one)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I feel you. Buying an icon was a risky business decision and after the aftermath of consoles like the sony oxford even more surprising. Do you aniticipate controller support for the icon coming from anything other than protools? At least I doubt it.
    Well, that's the beauty of the mackie control protocol. Every major DAW supports it and most minor ones, plus the vast variety of controllers and consoles available, from the duality to the genesys. There really is no reason at all to stick with an inferior DAW. Plus you can keep the hd interfaces, since they are really excellent interfaces. So in the long run switching the icon for anything that is not a one way solution will be the only viable option?

5. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

I never had any problems with M-Audi devices and never needed to contact them about anything. I didn't know about them not supporting newer OS's.

I guess, you can't trust or recommend anyone these days.

6. The LT

The LT Ultrasonic

I used to own a Profire Lightbridge and a Firewire 410. When Yosemite came out, the Console application UIs stopped working. There was a crude fix with saving the settings on the Mavericks system and putting it into the prefs folder, but it's terrible and not worthwhile.

M-Audio refused to provide any updates. The Lightbridge was actually a one-of-a-kind interface which was affordable and had 4 lightpipes via Firewire. M-Audio didn't provide a replacement one like they did with the 610.

A lot of their firewire devices suffered from this issue. I have other interfaces from RME which have been working for DECADES and still going strong. I am not buying M-Audio again.