Avid wants to charge me for an update!!! Yes, for an update not Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by asad12, Oct 14, 2015.

1. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Hello, everyone.

OK, let me start by giving the finger to avid. Don't be mistaken for the thumbs up, please. It's the middle finger. Sorry I had to do it. They deserve it.

When I bought my PT 11 bundle which includes PT 10 and 11, I was promised free update.
    After avid released PT 12, they also released PT 11.3.2 but only to people that bought PT12 which makes no sense at all.

For those that didn't buy PT 12 had no right for the update as Avid says. You are required to either buy PT12 or buy $99 support or subscription.
    They even threaten to take legal actions against people that wanted to distribute the the new update to PT 11 users.

To know more about this situation, you can check this:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-tools-11-12/1029729-avid-where-pt11-3-2-a.html

and:
    http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...asing-1132hd-into-pro-tools-11-users-accounts

I've been struggling to make a final decision about moving to another DAW and this is the only thing that avid had really helped me with is to make that decision easier now more than ever.
    My frustration is not with the Pro Tools as an application but with Avid.:bash:

That's it with these liars.
    The time has come to move on to a better truthful and honest company.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Lies and money walks always together.
    I am a FL Studio user but I suggest you to try Bitwig (my 2nd DAW soon)...good reviews almost everywhere. :drummer::chilling:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  4. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

In the PT Expert thread some people with only an 11 subscription state they had their .3.2 update, others don't. So maybe something went wrong in your case? Anything on the DUC about this?

5. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Very true. Lies and money go hand in hand for the most part.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I already started on Logic X and I really like it so far. Waiting for FL Studio Mac native to be released to give that a try. I hope it's coming soon.

Those people have the PT 11 HD license.
    Btw, it's not only me. There a 16 page post on avid community forum full of complaints. Not even one response from avid to explain what's happening.

This was brought to light by a mod. at the avid forums. If it wasn't for him, no one would've known.

6. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Well, FL Studio has lifetime free upgrades. Bought dat license in v4.x and still happy, even when I'm not using it because of some reason...

but i'm also using reaper - it's the most stable and flexible daw i've ever worked with, and it looks and feels more like pt (there is even a PT theme for reaper when I remember correctly), so let me recommend reaper to you! A license costs $60 for 1 major updates (now v5, valid until 6.x). I guess v7 will not appear before 2018 :)

7. TwistedCycles

TwistedCycles Member

Avid is avide

They have my finger too this mass of scums.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

I have nothing but curses for Avid's customer support. Went RME/Reaper and never looked back.

9. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Depending on your needs, here are MY alternatives :
    -Reaper
    -Samplitude
    -Cubase/Nuendo
    -Logic
    -Studio One
    -Harrison Mixbus (very nice "all in one/in the box" spirit)

To me, Ableton/FL Studio/Bitwig and such are just a joke for tracking and mixing. Try to mix a 64 audio tracks project in them, and cry ;)

About Protools/Avid, i known something was going VERY wrong with their last useless Protools First and the famous PACE/iLok fiasco in 2013.
    They are loosing money, and they know it. But when your one AND only argument is "industry standard"...you forget world is changing.
    https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=protools

10. remix

remix Platinum Record

Awful company...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

they almost destroyed sibelius,what do u expect from them?It s true that pt is the industry standard,i use it and it s the only daw i can use to finish a project (in the meantime i m trying to achieve the same results with digital performer and studio one 3,they r close to pt, but still something is missing),but even if it s the industry standard, ask any important producer in the world what they think of avid,nobody likes avid

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. ovalf

ovalf Platinum Record

Avid is just for people that do not care about pricey products with bad support.
    i see no future for them...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. e-minor

e-minor Platinum Record

And to think i kill myself all the time over not knowing or owning PT because every studio uses it...maybe i've been avoiding a headache. Probably best to stay off the avid train.

14. ShadowOfTheZ

ShadowOfTheZ Ultrasonic

Disagree. They have fewer and fewer customers. They simply need to charge more their loyal customers with deep pockets. I see no reason why this would not work out.
    Take iZotope. They have this strategy charging $999 for a RX every year. So they don't care about homestudioers and home producers, they charge way too much for a few people who can pay. And they are successful.

15. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

What happened with avid here sets a good example not put yourself in a situation where you make a slave out of yourself for those greedy bastards. Always learn 2-3 workstations(DAW) so you have alternatives.
    Let's not blame Avid only for Avid's behavior. The loyal costumers also responsible for not taking a step back and putting them in check.
    It was due long time ago. I really hope many PT users take a strong stand.

I started my journey with PT since v.6 and followed along despite the lack of new features since PT 8, if we compare PT to other DAWs' like Studio1, logic, even Bitwig which is fairly new, not to mention Cubase. It was my first DAW and I am the type of person that don't like changes. I am glad that I know ST1 3 and logic so my work isn't going to stop. I will dive into Reaper 5 and see how it goes.

I have many avid products like keyboards interfaces. I will be selling those soon. Don't want anything to do with Avid or anyone associated with it like M-Audio etc.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this guys.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Avid is a publicly listed company who are going down the pan. They are just acting like all corporations would do in this situation by fleecing their customers in the hope of survival.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Millenium

Millenium Producer

Racketeering :yes:

18. TinTin

TinTin Platinum Record

M-Audio has nothing to do with Avid anymore it is sold a long long time ago to InMusic Brands , and you can inform yourselves which other companys are sold to InMusic Brands as well .

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. samer

samer Newbie

Avid its very clear its all about money and that's why im still loyal to the Godfather Steinberg , very straight FWD buy it install it use it and they are miles away from scums for very simple reason they do respect their customers im using all their products and im extremely happy and in the same time iv been using Logic since version 3.5 Emagic time until now Logic-X, basically Logic & Cubase Are About Music but this Avid Thing is About 100% Money

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Thanks for the good news and appreciate it. I didn't know that M-Audio was sold. I really love my M-Audio Code 61. and I didn't want to part with it. :wink:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/avid-sells-m-audio-551367

I am sorry for the misinformation about M-Audio. I love their products.

100% agree with you. I've tried Cubase before and lately, I am constantly on Logic X experimenting and I like the workflow.
    I can also Microtune the whole project and have all Logic native instruments to follow any scale I want to.

21. jhagen

jhagen Producer

this is why people use warez.
    and established companies use legit software.

if u don't earn $$$ with your soft why did you buy it? crazzy?

avid policy is just normal, no surprise.