AVID sold to Private Equity firm

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BaSsDuDe, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

Who gives a rats ass about Avid shit , will the F***ing world explode and crumble I don't think so, perhaps they are expanding into the adult diaper and diaper rash creme business for the crybabies who can't live without them.

diapers.jpg

2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Sticks and stones can break my bones,
    But memes can never hurt me.

:rofl:

3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

I disagree partially, with this statement for reasons stated below

I have to agree with you guys. Avid/Pro Tools are not going away anytime soon. They have the best hardware/software integration in the business, and studio owners have a lot of capital invested into it. It is crazy to think that studio owners will decommission thousands of dollars worth of hardware just to jump into another DAW. Indeed, this idea is even crazier when you factor in that those studios will have to spend several thousands on new hardware, and spend time learning a new DAW. Moreover, who is to say that 10 years from now anyone of those DAWs will still be around? Say what you wish about pro Tools but they have a longevity history that the majority of other major DAWs wished they had.

Problem with forums is that there are people that repeat what they hear someone else mention without looking into it. For example, AVID revenues have increased , and so have subscriptions.
    AvidĀ® (NASDAQ: AVID), a leading technology provider that powers the media and entertainment industry, today announced its financial results for the second quarter of 2023, which ended on June 30, 2023.
    Total revenue increased 11.1% year-over-year in the second quarter, or 13.0% at constant currency, driven by strong growth in enterprise subscription revenue. Active Paid Software Subscriptions reached approximately 544,400 as of June 30, 2023, an increase of 20.9% year-over-year. At June 30, 2023, Subscription ARR was $154 million, an increase of 27.0% year-over-year, and total ARR was $248 million, an increase of 7.1% year-over-year. At constant currency, Subscription ARR increased 25.6% year-over-year and total ARR increased 4.6% year-over-year.
    In the second quarter, subscription revenue was $44.4 million, up 30.2% year-over-year, or 30.5% at constant currency, and subscription & maintenance revenue was $67.9 million, up 9.7% year-over-year, or 11.8% at constant currency. Maintenance revenue was $23.5 million in the second quarter, down 15.5% year-over-year, primarily driven by enterprise customers continuing to transition to subscription. Maintenance revenue increased 3.6% sequentially from the first quarter. Maintenance revenue is currently expected to be stable through the second half of 2023, due primarily to increases in maintenance contract pricing that were implemented in the second quarter, and the sequential increase in integrated solutions shipments which generally include attached maintenance contracts. Integrated solutions revenue was $33.7 million in the second quarter, up 20.4% year-over-year, as demand continued to be healthy and the Company was able to reduce the unshipped contractually committed backlog in the quarter. At the end of the second quarter, the Company had approximately $11 million of unshipped contractually committed backlog for integrated solutions, as improved production volumes reduced the backlog by approximately $9 million from the prior quarter.
    During the second quarter, Gross Margin was 61.1% and Non-GAAP Gross Margin was 62.0%. Subscription and maintenance gross margin remained strong at 84.4% during the second quarter, up 300 bps year-over-year. Integrated solutions gross margin was 25.8% in the second quarter, below the target gross margin due primarily to what are expected to be temporary higher production costs. These challenges in integrated solutions gross margin, which are expected to be temporary, had a flow through impact on net income (loss), Adjusted EBITDA Margin, net cash used in operating activities and Free Cash Flow in the quarter.

In sum, the trash-talking about Avid?Pro Tool's demise seems to be just that: trash talk without facts.

@clone said it perfectly

:hillbilly:
    I will go further, and challenge anyone here who has been trash-talking about Avid/Pro Tools, and its eminent demise, to show how much they have or had invested into it. Let us not kid ourselves here, Avid customer base is NOT the "bedroom producer" or self-titled mixing or mastering engineer charging $20 to mix and master a track. Who the fuck making good money off of music is bitching about a $300 or $1000 yearly expense on the tool that makes it possible? The majority of those bitching are the ones who CANT afford it, and have no intention of ever buying it. Indeed, they don't even want to pay the $60 for Reaper. Yeah, that is right. Maybe if they spend less time talking nonsense on forums, and put more effort into improving their music production, and engineering skills, the bitching will stop. Bottom line is that Avid does not need 10 million customers. It only need some good paying ones.

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

When did Protools become a pure subscription product....month and year please.

5. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

Pro tools make a lot of money.

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

Subscription dates back to 2015. Subscription only I think was either March or April, 2022.

7. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Who the hell uses protools "10"? No one I know of. Since no other decent working scene release of PT (except for those few that jumped on a PT first license) has arisen since PT 12.5HD, anyone still using v10.xx is probably still recording their mains with a Teac cassette porta studio. The sale of AVID means pretty much nothing to the mainstream audio community. If the AVID product catalog goes buns up then so be it. It wouldn't be the first time this kind of thing happened. Large audio houses that are supposedly "dependent" on AVID will have the cash available to tool up their studios with something else if they so desired. However I know of very few smaller indie studios who have become "dependent" on avid in particular for anything. There's just too many functional alternatives these days. Many of those alternatives fully capable of either meeting or surpassing the quality of AVID end product. I'll still have 12.5HD around for mixdowns and tracking when I want to use it, but 12.5HD isn't the only DAW I use either. So if avid goes in the dumper it's c'est lavie, sayonara and so long...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  8. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

If I could get a subscription to a buttocks like that I 'd pay zillions!

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This past year's numbers seem padded due to subscription being now the only game in town now. Let's look at the next few years numbers when they are available to see if there is a continuing growth trend or a tallying off. I'm going to bet on less subscriptions and further price rises to try to keep up revenue growth (money talks although the customer walks, beancounters focus on Benjamin's greenery), and when that fails, them selling Avid. I'm selling short.

I use FL Studio and am not a financial expert, but play one in a well loved audio production forum :rofl:.

10. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

you could be right but never underestimate the white elephant in the room. That is the AVID hardware. Those who have it, need PT. Of course, there are other options but they are not cheap. I got away from AVID hardware, and it has not been cheap or smooth at all. AVID/PT integration is second to none. In hindsight, I should have stuck with AVID. It will take me a while to recoup the costs and get used to new workflow.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. Barmaley (covid edition)

Barmaley (covid edition) Kapellmeister

Of course, no one uses housewives among you.
    And even on this forum there are very few of them, mostly users of tReaper with the Pro Tools skin )))

It's actually very easy to find out how many people use one or the other Pro Tools, and you can even find out which system has more of them on Windows or Macintosh.
    To do this, it is enough to load only one page and you immediately see how many and what kind of visitors there.
    But you can only see it if you are registered there. If not, then keep writing your PediVikia for us. )))

12. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I actually started this as an info thread and it took on a life of its own.. :rofl:
    You are correct of course with proprietary H/W and large studios.
    There is however one issue PT on MAC with proprietary H/W never talks of - The random DAE error that they never seem to have got rid of completely that rears its head when least expected, that is PT generated.
    The upside of that - while unintended, that error is perhaps accidentally one other reason PT is good in large studios - When the DAE error does appear and the entire system must be rebooted as nearly everything freezes, it loses very little of what has been done. If lucky, none. Few DAW's can say that on a system freeze.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. blasterx

blasterx Kapellmeister

Are the perpetual licenses back?

14. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Only upgrades so no.

15. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

That is how it goes here. You have been around this place to know that we start discussing disco music and end up talking about hip hop. To everyone's credit, the thread has stayed mainly on topic.
    I quit on using Mac a long time ago, however, that DAE error is easy to fix in a studio. The one that gets you in deep shit is a DEA error.

16. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

:bleh: :hahaha:

Maybe they changed their water, or removed something they had with the DEA error :facepalm: