AVID sold to Private Equity firm

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BaSsDuDe, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Done.
    Nothing else to add.

2. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

on top of Reaper, add $199 for full AATranslator (and additional $64 for Crossover if you're on Mac) and you're good to wave goodbye to PT completely
    :chilling:

3. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Hey guys, I just wanted to say to all those Avid haters out there who were bitching about "where are new features" and stuff: Pro Tools has costum key settings since summer 2022! So there you have it! New feature! In your face!11!!111!!
    Pro Tools is bestest DAW of all the bestest DAWs
    (Including video editing software that's audio engines run circles around pro tools. Like the stuff from black magic or even Vegas)

4. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Unfortunately that's not how it works. If you were to dialog edit a movie and do the sounddesign for a smaller feature film you would end up with about 100 to 200 tracks. On those tracks you would have done some automation to speed up the rather expensive mixing (and aatranslator can't convert that) . You would get the adr and the foleys as pro tools Session and you were to import those to your session and finally when your work is done you go to some place to get the mix done.
    All that is enough pain in the ass even if you're using pro tools. I don't say it can't be done with reaper and aatranslator. It can be done! But you will spend a lot unpaid time for handling stuff and planning and render to wav. The re-recording mixer is going to hate you because you renderd something the director doesn't like and now it's hard to get rid of that. Of course you were clever and had the unrendered file muted in the session, but now he has to do everything from scratch to change that one thing that has to be changed.
    Even if all that works just fine:
    You most definitely (!!!) are not going to the mix with your session converted from reaper to pt without checking back. So you will (!!!) need (!!!) the fully blown ultimate pt license to open your aatranslator export and check back. And you will do that thoroughly. Most definitely. That check alone can cost you half a day. Because if you go to the mixing facility and they gonna loose two days because you fucked up and because of that the film is not going to be shown on festival xy... You can kiss your career bye bye. In the best outcome. Worst case: Production company is dragging your ass to court.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Stewart Daniels

Stewart Daniels Ultrasonic

My knife is absolutely in Caesars' back.

When I was in engineering classes in 2019, PT was/is the default DAW (Of course). "Try Reaper" was the 60hz hum at all times among my classmates. My main pet peeve having to need a 24/7 internet connection (And Pace/iLok)...to record/make...music?

Recording/Mixing was cool in PT, but electronic music production was very clunky for me in PT, and it was the only DAW I knew at the time.

The "Industry Standard" indoctrination at my school stated:

-I will never do great things or land that dream job without extensive PT knowledge.

-95% of my clients will want PT used to record/mix their work, don't get left out.

-All of your projects will sound professional with PT. Hell, with PT, you show others you are a professional!

-Nobody is ever getting Grammys' using "Fruityloops".

I'm a rebel, so I rebelled, and finally tried Reaper. My classmates were correct about Reapers' prowess and novice user limitations.

No iLok (For starters), and more. What CPU usage? For me, Reaper was like going outside in the sunlight for the first time...at 20 years old.

Now, I'm in class like a husband cheating on his wife with the loosest, nastiest stripper ever. I had contempt for PT while having to use it constantly.

With my instructor(s), I frequently questioned PTs' inflexible approach to certain things without letting on about my new love. They didn't like the Old Times vs. New Times talk from us younger students.

"At the heart of every serious studio...is Pro Tools." -Jedi Mind Tricks

I graduated in 2021. I now use FL Studio, Reaper, and just got hip to Harrison Mixbus. I use PT for work projects only as a lowly intern.

Long story short...Avids' inflexibilty and refusal to change dramatically (Just like my old school Mentors) will continue to be a slow, slow death march until PT and it's overly-expensive periphials become museum pieces, auction block fodder, or ironically sold to Image-Line so they can kill PT for good, and then bury it out back.

• Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ah, the dreaded co-op workflow...
    you're thinking of multiple different people moving back and forth working on a single project, that alone is expensive and inefficient,
    my point of AATranslator was to move away from PT, not conform to PT studios - obviously if some huge studio needs PT, let them pay the extortion fee, but even for small feature films Reaper is now the choice thanks to its multitrack video capabilities,
    it all comes down to what smaller studios (where every penny counts) will start using, because frankly huge PT studios are getting old and dying (recent nails to the coffin are Apple Silicon, and Dolby Atmos)

7. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Okay this is OFFTOPIC, but can i import video files into Reaper and basically score inside?
    (Ableton hasnt fixed this yet and probably will never on windows - discontinued Haali Codec from 2013 - thanks Ableton).

Question is can i combine Ableton with Reapers video compatibilities? This would be huge, if i could. (Ableton has for me the best workflow, that why i still cant leave for reaper.)

ONTOPIC:
    Tbh everybody who has used a different DAW than PT, will likely applaud this step. AViD is just an ancient company, who still thinks, that you can sell a turd product with restrains to studios, who think they support the industry standard.
    I really cant imagine being locked inside the AAX dome, with only a few plugins and missing out on all those super innovative and new plugins.

Lets see what the future of EViD looks like.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

That big new producer everyone is talking, AI, only uses Protools. It must be the very best with the quality of working coming from him/her/he/she/it/them/us. I'm getting a subscription as soon as I hang up the phone from this thread. Why would anyone ever use Reaper if Protools IS THE THING?

:winker:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ontopic - since basic ProTools itself doesn't support video at all (LOL), this workaround using MIDI-MTC should work in other DAWs too:
    https://www.production-expert.com/p...use-video-with-pro-tools-intro-then-heres-how

Reaper indeed does support video formats, editing, color grading, effects etc..., less common codecs can be imported/linked from VLC libraries,

upcoming Reaper version 7 will support video from project tabs, so scoring big projects consisting of subprojects will be possible conveniently

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

11. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Fruity Tools VS Pro Loops :rofl::wink:

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

What most people on here cannot imagine is paying for something. But studios do not care about the price of protools because they make money from using it. This is like a law firm complaining about the prices of paper and printer cartridges, cops complaining about the price of bullets, or chefs complaining about the price of pots and pans. They also do not care about the "locked" AAX native plugin format, because they can run any plugin that you can in another plugin wrapper like Patchwork.

None of the PC users here who use PT 10.5 ever complain about it and never ask for help with bugs and other concerns. Because they have been using it forever and they actually know how to use the software. Instead of learning a new DAW every other week when one decides to switch plugin formats again. Steinberg is just as shitty of a company. The reason why no-one cries about Cubase now is because it got cracked.

If R2R released a current version of PT every single whining post would be kissing their asses instead.

We have been hearing about other DAWs becoming industry standard for studios for 30 years now. Just like in graphics and commercial printing we have been hearing about the Death of Adobe for just as long. And yet, to retain all their actual paying customers all they did was change their pricing model and now they all use Creative Cloud instead of paying 600 bucks per seat. Ever used GIMP in a commercial setting? Of course not, because no-one does.

A different holding company owning a software title is not going to change the software, or the fact you have to pay to use it. Or you can pay tens of thousands of dollars per year to learn it at a college who pay for it. Just because we cannot all afford a 100,000$ SSL board, and because we are untrained that noone in their right mind will ever let someone untrained touch one does not diminish the product. If you do not like it, don't use it. But if not for the 10 year old cracked AU copy of it, no-one complaining about it has ever even used it. And have no actual complaints about what it is used for.

PT changed 0 when Digidesign owning it switched to Avid. Just like all the recent companies bought out/merged by Native Instruments. When Pepsi took over Taco Bell, they did not change the bean burrito. You guys are lucky you are not day traders.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Exactly why nobody whines about Cubase 12 now! :dunno::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

you funny lol
    :rofl::rofl:

15. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

Remember Quark Express. That used to be the "industry standard" for printing. Adobe had no share at all back in the day. When was the last time you saw a copy of Quark on somebody's desktop.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Maybe Quark is no longer the "industry standard" for printing, but they corner the market in holistic healing of inflammation reduction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

It's a community post Ollie for information....
    It's obvious it was sold for money. Do you know what the core M.O of a private equity firm is? You are stating the obvious - Private Equity was mentioned by him as the topic versus a musical company taking them over. Everyone buys a company to make money, that's even more obvious, nobody buys it to lose money unless it is an under-the-counter tax write-off. lol
    If you read below it means the company (AVID) will disappear so good luck ever getting what you are after. Private Equity companies, if you can call them that, are well known for randomly dumping a purchased company the moment it shows the first sign of financial loss.

This is why it is crappy for any company in any business..
    Private equity describes investment partnerships that buy and manage companies before selling them. Private equity firms operate these investment funds on behalf of institutional and accredited investors. Private equity funds may acquire private companies or public ones in their entirety, or invest in such buyouts as part of a consortium. They typically do not hold stakes in companies that remain listed on a stock exchange.

Private equity is often grouped with venture capital and hedge funds as an alternative investment. Investors in this asset class are usually required to commit significant capital for years, which is why access to such investments is limited to institutions and individuals with high net worth.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  18. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Exactly, they will probably disappear, killed by a company that is having the exact same policy as they had. That's what I meant.
    They can't hope that the world will act different as they have done themselves.
    They care only about money, not their clients, now they're eaten by a bigger shark, that also care only about the money.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Does anyone remember any company that has remained alive (for long time) after a private equity firm had bought it?

20. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

Are you trying to justify the fact that avid doesn't even consider using Reaper themes?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List