AVID sold to Private Equity firm

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BaSsDuDe, Aug 20, 2023.

1. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The handful of people who know me in real life here, know that I believe every DAW has something to offer. It is a very rare thing for me to bash any of them as they all have something to offer.
    I do not agree with everything he says, but his take on private equity firms taking over AVID, is not far from the truth. Unfortunately, ProTools and AVID I believe went the wrong way with forced subscriptions as did many software companies, and they have already lost a lot of business, with Ableton, Reaper, Cubase, Studio One and Logic getting most of the departed user-base.

This is a community post for information. The only personal comment on any DAW company I make that I believe in wholeheartedly, is that if any company supports its user-base, that user-base mostly remains loyal. AVID unfortunately and sadly for its users still trying to maintain a semblance of loyalty, is that AVID is not reciprocating it and no longer deserves any loyalty.

Cheers

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. RitchieM

RitchieM Rock Star

Definitely get the impression there is something else behind the hate of private equity firms, but can’t say there is much wrong with what he says. There was a time PT was essential in pro audio as Avid was in pro video, but those days are LONG gone, and they are just trying to suck money from the pro’s that are tied up deep into it by the hardware purchases. Look at the Autodesk model, their key software is updated annually for money that is a damn sight more than pro AV software, and the “New Features” that are shown are the sort of things that would normally be at the very bottom of a promo page and classified as “Additional Features”, because they are the sort of thing that would just be routinely added to a bug fix release.

Both Avid and Autodesk gamble on integration into an existing way of working, but the likes of Blender and other CAD software has helped disrupt this in AEC and 3D content creation, just like Reaper has with audio, and the rest of the DAWs out there have just improved to the point the is no real difference in terms of quality, it’s just down to preferred workflow. I think both companies figured everyone would HAVE to stick with them, it would cost too much to change in terms of hardware (not really an issue these days) and time cost, but the tipping point of that was past a long time ago and every other company that produces software just figured it out before and adapted to a changing market.

That is my two-pence worth on it anyway.

Ritchie

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is the reason for their approach to new revenue and just getting it by milking existing customers. Every time the subject arises though, we hear of everyone who is moving away from PT; but that will be the same conversation again in another ten years. They have a captive audience just by being the "industry standard", similar to Adobe was for printing, or Solidworks for engineering. They know their customers are stuck with them, and so think they can do/charge whatever they want; and it's still mostly true.

It won't change just because the ownership does. Digidesign was no different.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

of course it's sold for bloody money, what were they doing it for??
    I asked them the schematics of an Eleven Rack, a very expensive effect rack from them, that needed repair, they refused to send it, even through their own representative where I live....

Avid was a money making company, they were sold for "bloody" money... tell me something new... lol

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

When i told ppl 20 years ago that ProTools was going to fall, they told me the usual "industry standard" bullsh*t.
    i was already seeing ppl doing sound eng school using ProTools at school ... but using Logic at home :rofl:

When i tested ProTools several times, i was always asking : "WHAT are the new features ?"
    When i realized i couldn't import a fukin stereo MP3 as backing track ... i just dropped the ball forever:rofl:

Reaper probably killed it more than others.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • List
  7. notrace

notrace Producer

Good riddance Avid! You've been screwing your user base for far too long!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

FInally someone bought this Tu-rd Company.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. clone

clone Audiosexual

More like Digital Performer instead of Logic. But you can copy/save the rest and will be able to deploy it again in another 10 years.

11. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

About time i could see this happening around the corner Ray Charles could of seen this happening lol

12. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Whatever they paid for it..
    Good Sale - Bad Purchase :yes:

(unless they got their balls tied somewhere else,
    or they plan on changin the philosophy 180º and still make it profitable, they still got the name..)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Industry standards can fade out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  14. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I pray to the all mighty sound gods that they will destroy and bring this industry standard to its knees and that in 5 years time it will all be just a bad dream.

Fawk those elitist totalitarian whores.

15. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

I don't know who your clients are but I can tell you that the young crowd barely fawk with them anymore. I must have received 2 request in the past 5 years.

We just need a hero without a cape to put the final nail on the coffin.

16. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Wow!!! a lot of ProTools haters getting triggered in this thread.:rofl:

I guess that says a lot about Avid and how they've treated their customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  17. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Look who just came out of his hole :rofl:

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

That's nice. Of course, it's not really a surprise when you are of skill level that you need to supposedly go drum up work all the way in South America. What a joke.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Capture.JPG Well, it's time; gonna go right over to the REAPER website and give that man and his team a mere $60 for the "best" DAW in the world, but will still use the medicated version. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm doin' it now......!!!!! :-D

***UPDATE: Ahhh, that felt good and was very easy. Took 2 minutes and I have a copy of REAPER until v7.00; no fuss, no subscription. If I want PROTOOLS, I'll go download a free theme from their user database that has thousands of helpful users. lol :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. Martel

Martel Platinum Record

Oh , dick measuring, I see !
    You must have a very impressive catalog :rofl:

21. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

the transition will take atleast 10 years, probably more, PT will still be relevant for big studios, top of food chain scene of music industry. I respect people like Luca Pretolesi and Studio DMI being among the most sought after, but promoting other DAW just so people know it doesn't have to be PT all the time even if you have tons of gears to play with. Influential people like that can accelerate the transition, sad that I can't name others that doing the same. The alternatives only won the small to home studios owner only so far. Shows like MWTM and NTM also promoting PT too much because of the nature of the guest coming being mixers that worked 20years in the business. I forgot who, but this one guy using Reaper (in NTM show) and get made fun of in the chat (by noobs of course) because of it, bro still mixed platinum records with Reaper but even the fat guy host still making fun of him, fucking idiot.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List