Avid Lays Off Workers

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by superliquidsunshine, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Adrianus Antonius

Adrianus Antonius Producer

Greedy? perpetual license is $599, so you have an option to try your pro tools "before buy" lol, fully featured, can save projects and what not for $24.92 per month... also it has a one month demo version. So renting is not greedy, it's an opportunity for others to literally rent it and other developers will fallow, because that's quick easy money and it has its benefits for random customers, so why not.

Disagree? it is easy for you to like and assimilate amateurs, than to try to match professionals.

So do those imbecile preteens, teens and like minded adults like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon more, than amateur's avicci tetris music "levels" or repetitive few words "wake me up" nonsense?
    Which party was professional and which an amateur?
    Pink Floyd were professionals, so was Peter Gabriel, Micheal Jackson apart from his weird persona, Avicci is a talent-less amateur who is famous thanks to imbeciles, so try to sell to those imbeciles Pink Floyd, Beatles or anyone who can play instruments, sing and create something lasting and not ripped off... you'll know why Avid is laying off stuff, it tried to sell to professionals and professionals are endangered species..

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Or:
    Pros just realized that true PT alternatives do exist and they decided to leave PT for these (Logic Pro X, Cubase or Studio One for ex)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Kind of inevitable, perhaps? Much like the "downsizing" of the Music Industry, a while back. Too much competition by others, and too little flexibility on Avid's part. The iLok and the proprietary plug-ins formats were deterrents for some people. More people coming up are using competitors such as Ableton and Logic. The "Pro Tools | First" thing was f'ing stupid, too – and all too obviously a ploy to catch the neophytes before they'd start on Albleton and Logic, et al., and get 'em hooked on buying plug-ins and libraries.

Oh, and outsourcing employees – that'll kill consisitency and integrity. Employees scamper away like rats from a sinking ship if they've not been replaced with "contractors" or watched their jobs go overseas. Then customer service goes downhill because the CSRs on the phone in the Philippines or India talk funny and can't follow what Americans are trying to tell them.

Avid Media Composer? Since Final Cut became iMovie Pro, Adobe Premiere is kicking ass in the video-editing market. Speaking of Adobe, it should buy-out Pro Stools, and incorporate (and improve) its MIDI function, and permit the use of AU, VST and AAX in its next version of Audition (which already has the iZotope stuff built into it) – and the result would be SuperDAW.

4. Adrianus Antonius

I know that bedroom "pros" are switching to Studio One, didn't heard about Studios doing that... though I bet there are a few, very few... but most pros are sticking to Pro Tools.
    Now name the reason, why professions would want to switch? Because none are "true PT alternatives"... in terms of features, closest would be Nuendo, do you know what is a "post production"?

So bedroom "pros" are the market now... remember bellied dads? True professional requirements, expectations are the past, peasants want avicci and pussy on videos, nothing else matters :rofl:

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

1. It's up to the DAW whether to have smaple-based or time-based automtion. Both are equivalent. As long as it matches up to the audio, it's fine.

2. A lot of DAWs have this, not just PT

3. Depending on DAW and how well plugins obey the render state. I my know of a plugin that screws this.

4. Mainly I think this is for the money. An AAX license is quite hefty. Developing for VST is free. If there are any AAX/RTAS benefits, they are up to the dev/lib to use if they decide to use them at all.

5. See most DAW comparisons are pretty useless and inconsequential. See 1-4 &

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

In other news, VMware lays off *about* 800 workers, which is MORE than AVID

http://arstechnica.com/information-...rkstation-team-culled-in-company-restructure/

Both AVID & VMW may be outsourcing dev to Asia. I would not vouch for the quality of software developed in Asia, if Quark, some NZ embedded development company, and other past cases are anything to go by.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

Well that fits, i've heard of production companies that source out the mixing of european dub versions to asia..
    Avid should have sticked to AudioVision and devoloped it instead of buying PT from digidesign..
    2016 and PT doesn't have a proper ADR tool like Nuendo has now (or Audiovision had 20 Years ago)

7. Adrianus Antonius

No other DAW have time stamped automation, simple is that. no other daw has it, it's not based on anything, no other daw has it.

Depending? either a daw can do it or it can't, depending means it can't...
    I guess it's very hefty, so hefty that some developers offer free plugins like enormously popular giant corporation called Stillwell... so AAX exists mainly to avoid a word "depending", because a VST2.4 is atrociously abused standard.

I don't see it, btw do you know that to edit wikipedia you don't have to even register to do that? not that that article is related, but I'm just mentioning that.
    I don't see it, because first I understand things, second I have ears. No DAWs sound the same, it would be foolish to expect them to sound the same when you have multiple vst2.4 plugin workarounds for specific Daws to work in... it "depends" right? Well in Pro Tools it doesn't, you either meet AAX specification or you can go and f*** yourself with your workarounds, in Pro Tools it is simple as that.
    Signal flow which is treated differently from daw to daw, different logic in "what happens if" with every action and so and on, so only noobs can assert that DAWs sound the same, null out multiple tracks with plugins and automation and come back with evidence...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Yep

• 2012: Avid closes Sibelius's London office and lays off original development team"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibelius_Software

I tried to change project settings in PT at a shop, connected to a M-Audio box. PT locked up. Not a good look.

Well, it might be 'bad' incomparison to other DAWs with more sophisticated MIDI editors, so's REAPER apparently, but I'm happy in REAPER with just a basic Piano roll MIDI editor.

Pretty much sums up PT. For interop.

9. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

I can't believe that I am still considering VMWare as one of my 'dream companies' for my next job search... :rofl:

10. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

some people need to realise that they lost their jobs, and that sucks.

don't let your hang-ups with avid cause bad comments :like:

11. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Server not found

12. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Something is weird: You are quoting me with a post that I never wrote...
    After checking it, this sentance should have been attributed to Adrianus Antonius.