Avant-Guarde Synthwave music like Tomita and Wendy Carlos

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by martel80, Dec 7, 2016.

1. martel80

martel80 Producer

I'm in the first synthwave avant guarde wave with the like of Vangelis, Isao Tomita and Wendy (Walter) Carlos.

Other then Jarre ( that i dont like ) , do you guys have other name to drop in this type of sound ?

I know theres some awesome 80's manga music that was composed in the same type but I cant find flac album anywhere of their music like Shuki Levy for example.

I'm also trying to find a opy of Wendy ( walter ) Carlos - Clockwork Orange Vinyl Rip ....not the OST but her album with extra synth track on it.

3. martel80

martel80 Producer

Ok, I've found Wendy Carlos - Clockwork Orange 2000 remastered flac version without having to pay the actual 150 $ .
    If anyone want it, hit me up in PM.

4. angie

angie Producer

Tangerine Dream (till Phaedra), Klaus Shulze, White Noise to name a few were less confortable but more interesting in my opinion... I don't like Mr Jarre as well, but I fear that many people consider this statement like a blasphemy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. martel80

martel80 Producer

Thank you for those name, ill check them out.

Sorry for the Jarre thing, its only my musial preferences, im not attaking anything about him

6. angie

angie Producer

No offense to me! :wink:

7. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Modern synthwave avant guarde? iamthekidyouknowwhatimean, el Huervo & Light Club. Maybe? Sorta? Magic Sword has some weird, druidy prog chiptune stuff going on that sorta vaguely reminds me of Wendy Carlos.

Oh yeah, Timesteps is just awesome. That ~14m version still gives me goosebumps.

I don't think anyone rly likes teh Jarre. But he sure is popular! >___> Somewhere, I'm sure... <__<

8. jvne

jvne Kapellmeister

what about Giorgio Moroder ? early Kitaro's lp, Craig Safan (some nice 80's ost like freddy 4), Goblin (last 70's and early 80's recording - my thoughts go specially for the Zombie ost 'dawn of the dead'), John Carpenter.... plus some post punk bands like Chrome, Cabaret Voltaire, among others.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  9. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

being an old fart i was listening to synth pop every day in my youth, it's a shame as a musical genre it's been downplayed so much but in the 80s so many new stuff came out one after each other.

and we should not confuse between synth-pop and avantgarde, instrumental vs vocal.

synth pop = Talk Talk, Moroder, Donna Summer (produced by moroder) and sooo many others
    avantagrde = Cabaret Voltaire, yes but also many less known prog-rock bands, even the Genesis used synths a lot in the early albums, Tony Banks being still famous for it.
    german electronic = lots of band of course Tangerine Dreams, Klaus Schultze, Kraftwerk (Ash Ra Tempel), Neu!, or even more obscure artists like Manuel Göttsching, many of them later moved to "new age music" and film soundtracks.

Vangelis notorious for film music but he's actually a classic composer now

Jarre has never been my cup of tea but his success was enormous at the time, we must realize at the time pop music has been acoustic in most of the cases so pop songs done with synths and early sequencers were definitely something NEW and fresh, of course after a few years the novelty quickly wears off and so new genres pop-up, Hi-Energy, House Music, and then New Beat and then modern house/techno/whatever.

the defining moment has been the launch of the first MIDI digital synths, which instantly destroyed the market for analogs, then the first computer based sequencers which started the computer-music revolution, and of course the AKAI S-900 and the TR-909, all things combined produced the modern dance-music as we know it.

Synth pop was a victim of this but later it evolved in just "pop music" because soon every pop song coming out was made 100% on a computer anyway and synth sounds were everywhere even if not taken to the extreme, Yamaha DX sounds in particular you could find them in pretty much any hit song around but we're talking about FM-piano and strings nothing techno or trance.

so making synth pop in 2016 looks good to me but i don't think there's too much to explore at this point, everything has been already done to death in any possible style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. martel80

martel80 Producer

I'm dont want to do Synthwave avant guard.....I just want to listen to pure synth track.

I'm not interested in versions with vocals or drums on top....I just want to hear the real thing ....nude.....at its full power.

I find the tones amazing !!!

Specialy for Carlos and Tomita so far.....waow !

But like most of you pointed out....theres also alot of music composer for soundtrak that used the ''synth only'' solution in the early 70's / 80's and im into that aswell.

Just the synths....nothing else !

Oh and I need to point out that I love the synth sound but not very much the Pad trip a la Jarre.

11. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

well, you could try the whole "chip music" genre which started on the C-64 and Amiga in the 80s, that's how i was introduced to electronic music in my youth and why i started composing with the early music-trackers.

12. martel80

martel80 Producer

Yes, its still a thing today in fact.
    I guess what I'm looking for is more specific to analog synth some were using in the 70's 80's.
    I guess other the one mentioned here, I should look into OST and 70's 80's cartoon OST.
    Thats really the sound i'm looking for

13. Mixdowner

Mixdowner Kapellmeister

no idea about 70s cartoons, but when i was a kid the japanese music in cartoons was mostly funky-pop.
    chipmusic is pure unadulterated electronic music but it's not for everyone's taste.

14. martel80

martel80 Producer

I love Moroder (to me hes a genius just like Morricone ) but to me hes on a class of its own.
    I never even thought about him when thinking about synth composer but i totaly agree that he deserve a place here.

I never heard about Kitaro before tonight and what I heard is pretty cool....a lot of pads but I'm sure if I dig deeper ill find some goodies.

I've tried 4 random track of Craig Safan and this is really not my cup of tea.

Goblin....all I can find is creatures and cartoon.....

John Carpenter...
    If there's some other stuff like this that you could point me out
    , I'm a taker :

Especially if theres some datong from the 70's or early 80's ( that sound )

I didnt like the chrome and Cabaret Voltaire things.

Like I said to MixDowner. I'm really into the synth alone without drums or singing involved.

That was a very interesting researh...thank you very much !

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  15. martel80

martel80 Producer

I really dig what el Huervo, I'm kind of doing the same type of Chill hop thing as hes doing. Only difference is that he seems not be ashamed to realease his stuff. hahaha
    I should probably do the same.
    But thats not what I'm looking for....I just want to hear how creative someone went only with synthesizer lines and melos
    The others contain drums but the melodies are interesting I like that vibe to listen on Youtube but I want to find the old synth sound to download it and study it. Analyze its spectrum the way they mixed it.

Thanks for sharing !!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Claudio Simonetti/Goblin (any Italian horror movie soundtrack from the late Seventies through the Eighties), Fred Myrow (PHANTASM soundtrack), John Carpenter.

17. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Not sure if this is your thing at all, as it's not only synths, but the synth parts are rather juicy (Moogy to be more precise). Then again this comment kind of sums it up.Commenting on the Tron: Legacy score, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo commented that "We knew from the start that there was no way we were going to do this film score with two synthesizers and a drum machine."[5] Daft Punk cited Wendy Carlos, the composer of the original Tron film, as inspiration for the soundtrack as well as Max Steiner, Bernard Herrmann, John Carpenter, Vangelis and Maurice Jarre.

Although you have sparked my interest to see what I can create with my hardware setup. No analog gear unfortunately, just a mix of new and retro VA stuff, but I do love to try new things and challenges.

18. martel80

martel80 Producer

Thanks, a few new name in this list, Ill have to take a closer look later .
    Thank you.

19. martel80

martel80 Producer

Yeah men, do it :)
    I have the complete disco of Isao Tomita , from '74 to '99.
    Its very interesting ...maybe even more then Wendy / Walter Carlos stuff .
    You can torrent it.....in FLAC !

20. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

isnt this called space music?

21. martel80

martel80 Producer

Hahaha
    I dont know :P
    It definitely sound like the human perception of aliens music to me :rofl: