Autotune for MIDI?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Digidra, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Digidra

Digidra Newbie

My dear fellow musicians, i need your help. Is there any software which snaps your midi to a key and chord progressions. EzKeys2 does it BUT it adds notes to my imported melodies. maybe there is a setting to disable it and i'm too stupid to find it...
    I think StudiOne has such a function, but i need a plugin. All plugins which i know of can only play your melodie in key but without progressions.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Are you talking about existing midi files? Any midi you import should (theoretically) represent some melody or chord progression in some key and all you have do if it isn't the key you want is simply transpose. That and maybe correct a few notes if there's a clash between major and minor. Otherwise you're just flinging random notes around and the results will be... well, random. If that doesn't make sense you may need at least a tiny touch of theory to build on and you're trying to walk before you crawl, don't know. Need more info...
    :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. justsomerandomdude

justsomerandomdude Rock Star

I dont understand ur ?. Did u mean a software which has the ability to transpose the notes to specified chord progression. But u need it in real time or to just transpose it. I dont use ezkeys so i dont know wat exactly.

5. Digidra

Digidra Newbie

For example I got a existing melody, now I want to transpose them into other scales or progressions. EzKeys does it. You can set up your progression and then replace the midi. But when I import a simple melody in EzKeys it adds new notes into the melody to create a chord. Where I just wants the Programm to snap the midi to nearest note in that particular scale/progression.

6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

So... transpose them. Transpose is one of the most basic functions there is and every DAW does it. That's why there's no vst to do it. It's like saying "I need a vst that starts playback and arms tracks to record".

7. justsomerandomdude

Did u try Rapid composer or Midi mutator from Music Developments.

Edit: Not midi mutator it doesnt suit ur need, Just RC

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  8. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

MIDI is a control language and does not make any sound itself. It controls sound sources and the sound sources make the sound so you'd be autotuning the sound source (if needed). If the sound source is in tune (and it should be) there should never be a need for what you describe.

9. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

That is snapping, which doesn't actually correct the audio which is what autotune does. It's not the same thing.

10. justsomerandomdude

Scaler key lock function can do it in real time, but it only locks it to specific scale. When u pick chords out of scale :suicide:. But there is a work around but messy.

11. Digidra

Digidra Newbie

Yeah, midi mutator I tried today but I wasn't able to lock a progression. Everytime I imported a new midi, it overrode the old progression.
    Rapid composer I did try a long time ago, when I didn't need such a function. I should give it another look, but from memory it was complicated as hell...even midi mutator seemed too complicated.
    Scaler 2 does something similar to my needs, but it's limited in range and you have to only play white notes.

12. justsomerandomdude

:rofl:the Op s question is bad, there s to need autotune midi, just transpose. its just midi not audio, even if u autotune it. its :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. justsomerandomdude

Oh yeah. but like mentioned b4 midi mutator is not an option it just to alter rhythm shape and accents of existing midi

14. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

What DAW do you use? Your daw may even have a snap to key. Reaper definitely does.

Im not clear from posts here if snap to key is what you're looking for though, or something beyond that.

15. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I hate to say it but this sounds like a "I want to build a house, I just need something that puts the wood in the right spot" kind of question. Maybe I'm missing it though.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  16. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Simplified, if you have a melody like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in C major you can only transpose it so that every note gets moved by the same amount. For example, if you move all notes 7 semitones up, you transposed it from C major to G major scale. So, that's easy - you select all the notes and move them up or down by the same amount.

But my guess is that you want to transform a melody from let's say C major to G minor (scale). That is not transposition but modulation. In plain terms - you are changing the melody completely (even if it may sound similar to the original).

By your description and the little I saw what EzKeys is all about, it tries to harmonize (make chords, like you say) your "melody". And here lies the problem - melody versus harmony. With melody you can only try to snap to notes of your new scale and hope for the best (I have never done that). But nobody said you can't use notes outside your scale, especially for the melody, so.. :dunno:

17. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

im think he's talking about that stuff that 41 fingers does on his channel where he has any type of notes in any key and he transpose the input to scaler and set the scale to all the notes and chords he want to be in instantly this is what i think he's talking about

18. Atlantis84

just watch the video i sent you in this post it should solve your problem lol

19. Atlantis84

i think he just started doing music because his question has nothing to do with autotune lol

20. Digidra

Digidra Newbie

Yeah I already saw or better scrubbed throug it. I think everytime a pad changes it plays the chord of the pad into the performance.

But I see, there is probably no such plugin.
    Anyway thanks for your reply guys.

21. 11Fletcher

11Fletcher Platinum Record

I'm not sure if I get it, but maybe you can do that with Komplete Kontrol from Native Instruments (it doesn't need the NI keyboard to work).

You can put it in scale mode and it will play everything you give it in midi (note from the piano roll or directly from your midi keyboard) in that scale, moving the input not to the closest note in the scale you choose (it can do chord and arpegiato too).

Depending on your DAW you can send the midi signal of the Kontrol to your plugin (midi out to midi in) or print the midi note played by the Kontrol with its change so you have the right midi note from your new scale to use like a normal midi file.