Autoname tracks???

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by MINIGUNPUNK, Dec 12, 2022.

1. MINIGUNPUNK

MINIGUNPUNK Kapellmeister

Hi all, how can I make the REAPER automatically name the new track like Track 1, Track 2 when creating a new track?
    It's a little hard for me to navigate, for example I could rename Track 1 to Synth Serum if I wanted to.
    I know there are little numbers on the side of each track, but it's not convenient

upload_2022-12-12_15-49-39.png
    upload_2022-12-12_15-50-29.png

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. MozartEstLa

MozartEstLa Platinum Record

Hi,

Perhaps the solution is here:

4. MINIGUNPUNK

MINIGUNPUNK Kapellmeister

No, that doesn't work, it prompts you to manually write the names of the track

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

I'm sure you could do it with a script. I haven't taken a dive into scripting in Reaper yet, so I can't say how to do it, but I'd ask this question on the Reaper forums. There's a lot of smart Reaper people here, but the pool of people who know a lot about Reaper + scripting is much larger there.

General Discussion:
    https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Script subforum:
    https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

... that's not to say someone here won't know the answer though, but you might get a far quicker answer on the Reaper forums. I'd bet someone will whip you up a script quickly.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

There is something wrong here. There has to be. I am not a REAPER user but this would scream Amateur Hour at the Apollo to me.
    There is no way a DAW becomes this popular as REAPER quickly has, for it to need scripting to do something this simple. This is :suicide: functionality. Even if you create a bunch of new Midi Tracks at once, it should provide names for them all. Even generic ones would suffice. This has to be some silly little menu option, or something.

I found this thread on their forum: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169332

There is a script at the bottom post for getting Instrument names for General Midi types of instruments, maybe this helps get you looking in the right place at least: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p=1389356&postcount=612

but it's still very primitive for any daw to need this amount of work for something so simple.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  7. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

@clone

By default, when you create a track with no instrument on it, it will have no name.. you can name it then if you want. If you create multiple tracks at once, you can assign them a name at that point, and it will auto-number them. If you create a track with an instrument assigned to it, it will name it as the instrument you put on it (similar with some type of media or MIDI).

I think all those 3 different solutions don't really work for what he's looking for. Perhaps the multiple tracks way does, but as soon as he adds more tracks, he'll have to rename those to keep the numbering sequence intact.

There might be a way to do it outside of scripting, but I don't see anything in the menu for setting track names, and about the only thing I can think of outside of a script is a pretty hokey solution.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

It should still create *any* name when you create a new channel (of any variety). For instance Logic does Inst #x for Midi tracks you create; and it uses Audio #x for any Audio Tracks you create. It even AutoNames your AUX channels. You can then name them whatever you want. But they should not just show up as blank by default.

I think this is user error, or a lot of REAPER users would complain about it. It's like needing a script to let you use the Transport.

9. naitguy

naitguy Audiosexual

Default, out of the box functionality is that when you create a blank track with nothing on it, it has no name. If you instantiate the track with something on it like an instrument, media or MIDI, then that's what name gets attached to it. But again, by default, a single track added will have no name. You can do things to change that behavior though (not saying that's not possible), such as a custom action for inserting a track, but that's a convo that I don't really think helps the OP as it doesn't end up with the track numbering he's looking for.

I think people have actually FR'ed a default track template. You can create a default FX chain, you can create a default project template, and you can make track templates (which can be multiple tracks), but there actually doesn't seem to be a default track template.. which IS weird.

Edit: user error definitely is not out of the question though, as I don't know all there is to know about Reaper, but it doesn't seem what the OP is looking for is OOTB functionality, believe it or not.

Edit 2: Here's a video that describes what the OP is looking for.. this is using a script:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. noise.maker

noise.maker Platinum Record

There is a script downloaded by ReaPack: zaibuiydao_Set Track Name. Create tracks as many as you want, select all, run the script and hit OK. You will get Track_001, Track_002.....

11. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I like the tip from noise.maker above for filling in

I have a script that names the track or tracks with the patch I have selected in the plugin, but the patch name part does not always work, depending on the plugin.
    Another names the track with the plugin name and the patch...

These are many scripts I am looking through and testing now as I want a couple at least that work better.
    Once the right ones are found it is easy to assign shortcut(s) or add button(s) to a toolbar.

I have open the "Actions" window and typed in "name" to see all the associated scripts for naming or renaming ... and it is so great to be able to test each right there in the window to see the results...