auto arranger vst

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by aleksalt, Jul 13, 2023.

1. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

The question is as the title says. More details: I need an auto arranger/orchestrator plugin, which
    makes a real orchestration for brass and string orchestra sections basing on a suggested melody and/or chord progression, the necessary feature - MIDI file as a result.

I did some search and found these mostly 15-20 years old plugins, some of them use Yamaha style (downloadable separately):

RMCA, Varranger, Jammer Pro, One man band, Ludwig 3.0, MAAS

So, if some one had a good experience with the above or other plugins, please share your experience

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you already looked into Band-In-A-Box, RapidComposer, Scaler, or any of the more currently used applications like these? Most of these end up having certain features people love about each, and some they hate about the same programs.

4. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I tested this a couple of weeks ago, it looks ancient but the results seem very good. Is there anything better out there?

Tonica Fugata

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

"So, if some one had a good experience with the above or other plugins, please share your experience"

6. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Thanks, sounds interesting

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

Go read on GS. Every one of these programs has features people complain about. They compare pricing of different versions of the software. They debate back and forth about things which are opinions and familiarity. Act like one solution is "not good enough for MY music". Fawn over the developer because they happen to know a guy named Atilla does the programming of one.

My experience with these programs is being able to download and use any of them and formulate my own working opinion on any of them. Someone else will dislike the same features you think are great.

Scaler is great. It just sounds like people want things to write their music for them using these programs. They are not discussing Dorico , Finale, or even Sibelius.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  8. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

What is GS (link)?

9. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

There are lots of orchestration tutorials on youtube for all abilities.I can't sight read but have learnt enough to take an idea and expand it to the whole orchestra. Obviously this takes time and the more you learn, the more you realise how little you know. I have found this channel to be particularly useful https://www.youtube.com/@AnneKathrinDernComposer and this particular video inspiring

10. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

I can arrange/orchestrate myself almost everything...from Hip Hop to soundtrack, but the time factor is crucial,
    as in Crinklebumps's example tonica fugata is good enough, other hand the Scaler isn't that good...it can't do this as tonica:

" However, the inflexibility of previewing and MIDI file export is an issue. You can’t even set a note length for each chord, let alone edit velocity, spread notes out in time for ‘strums’, or anything else."
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/plugin-boutique-scaler