Aurora DSP - Goblyn (free amp sim)

Discussion in 'Software News' started by Arabian_jesus, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Seems like Aurora DSP has released a free EVH 5153 inspired amp sim. I like the minimalist approach, but you still get some more control over the tone than in the recent Bogren Digital ToneKnob Rev C plug-in.

What’s inside
    Based on studio standard metal head 5153 boosted with one of the best overdrives in the market and sculpted with true analog toys. We present you Goblyn.

[​IMG]
    Classic
    At Aurora DSP, we’re constantly looking for a way to improve your workflow and deliver plugins that will stay in your arsenal forever. Bringing the extended functionality of classic devices for modern musicians, engineers & producers.

Why Goblyn
    A creature that creeps into any heavy mix and leaves something evil and brutal. You can set it the way you want it: heavy or heavier. Nothing more. Simple Metal Madness.

Features
    - 3 band tone stack
    - Build in IR slider
    - Impulse loader
    - Nastiness

https://auroradsp.com/goblyn

*Needs an account to download

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Damn... after playing through this for the last couple of days, I think I have to say that this is the absolute best free metal amp sim I've ever heard! The built-in IRs could maybe be better, but using an IR-loader afterwards (FenrIR for example) with your own IRs lets you hear the true potential of this thing. Their Rhino plug-in is also excellent, and even though I've felt that the Neural DSP plug-ins have felt a tad bit more amp like/realistic, there is now no doubt in my mind that Aurora DSP's amp modelling is every bit as realistic sounding and feeling as Neural DSP's. Looking forward to see what they have in store for us next :)

Another free amp sim based on the EVH 5153 that was recently released is ML Sound Lab's Roots 2.0 (although it's the EL34 variant), and even though it has many more features and more control over the tone, it doesn't sound nearly as good as Goblyn does. I'm not saying that Roots sound horrible, it's actually quite good, but Goblyn is just that much better IMO :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List